Author Topic: Lucas predicts end of big budget movies  (Read 3759 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Lucas predicts end of big budget movies
« on: March 06, 2006, 12:24:28 pm »
"In the future, almost everything that gets shown in theaters will be indie movies," Lucas declared. "I predict that by 2025 the average movie will cost only $15 million."

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/397167p-336664c.html

I actually think that would be cool.  Some of my favorite movies are low-budget. 
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 12:26:53 pm by iago »

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
Re: Lucas predicts end of big budget movies
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 12:31:18 pm »
Hrmm, it would be interesting to see if he is right or not.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

trust

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 04:04:46 pm »
That would suck. I much prefer big budget movies, since then they have a larger special effects budget.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 07:14:46 pm »
Only $15 million?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 07:30:12 pm »
Only $15 million?

Yes, only.  Considering modern movies tend to cost in the range of 9-digits, $15 million is low.  For a movie.  Btw, you're lazy for not closing tags.  It looks so unbalanced and ugly.  But anyway..

That would suck. I much prefer big budget movies, since then they have a larger special effects budget.
On one hand, that's true.  On another, the "best" special effects are the home-made ones.  It seems like any idiot with the right software can do spectacular special effects now (maybe that's untrue), but back in the day it took a special talent. 

Of course, the software and computers and stuff are getting cheaper, too, and using them to make it look like you exploded something is cheaper than actually exploding something, and it probably looks better.  So maybe that won't be so bad?

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 08:07:11 pm »
Actually one of the other things that may bring cost down is the use of rendering farms. Instead of having to build their own they can just buy time on one and still get killer special effects.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 10:29:35 pm »
Modern special effects suck. I perfer the cheesy obviously fake stuff over the realistic computer generated crap any day.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 11:16:21 pm »
Only $15 million?

Yes, only.  Considering modern movies tend to cost in the range of 9-digits, $15 million is low.  For a movie.  Btw, you're lazy for not closing tags.  It looks so unbalanced and ugly.  But anyway..

If you try and close all the tags, this[/i] happens. It's probably a bug, so eh? You have to do it in order. :(
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 11:24:07 pm »
Only $15 million?

If you try and close all the tags, this[/i] happens. It's probably a bug, so eh? You have to do it in order. :(

You're supposed to close the last tag first.  It should be a mirror image, symmetrical! 

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 11:24:19 pm »
Only $15 million?

Try it like this. Batman.

You need things declared first, finished last.  Nested code!

Edit: Screw you iago.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 09:03:33 am »
You're supposed to close the last tag first.  It should be a mirror image, symmetrical! 

But it's easy when you have like, 4 tags open. Close the last one, and bamn!
- Newby