Author Topic: Iran & Nukes  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
Iran & Nukes
« on: February 26, 2006, 04:29:27 pm »
Ok so basically, what happens if Iran achieves nuclear capabilities?  The Cold War stand-by of MAD(Mutually Assured Destruction) won't apply, winning for the Iranians is destroying Israel and they won't care if they get the shit nuked out of them too.  Thoughts?

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Iran & Nukes
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 04:32:05 pm »
Ok so basically, what happens if Iran achieves nuclear capabilities?  The Cold War stand-by of MAD(Mutually Assured Destruction) won't apply, winning for the Iranians is destroying Israel and they won't care if they get the shit nuked out of them too.  Thoughts?

Generalization.  Somewhere along the chain of command, there's going to be someone that has more sense than to execute a nuclear strike on Isreal.

Even still, it's a concern.

trust

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 05:00:43 pm »
I'm pretty sure Iran cares if they get nuked, since, like, they'd all die...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 05:18:07 pm »

Generalization.  Somewhere along the chain of command, there's going to be someone that has more sense than to execute a nuclear strike on Isreal.

Even still, it's a concern.
Hopefully, but their leader is f'ing nuts, so, pfft

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 05:34:56 pm »
Hopefully, but their leader is f'ing nuts, so, pfft

The people under him aren't always going to listen to him.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 08:17:18 pm »
We would just do a one legged hop from Iraq to Iran since we like getting in others faces and shoot them up too.

Jokes aside, if they had nukes we'd probably send diplomats overthere to talk it out and being who we are we'd organize some sort of  peacetalks or force them to disarm. I personally think all nuclear facilities and weapons on the planet should be destroyed. Nothing like this should ever exist, this thing isn't meant to kill military it's meant to slaughter civilians. See: Hiroshima.

I think that for war to come to something like this is disgusting, if two nations are fighting there is no need for a mass murder like that.  Most nuclear strikes are to scare the enemy into surrender (As we did with Japan) but when we drop them on actual cities it's going overboard. Bombing raids are bad enough.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 09:19:39 pm »
If the Russian enrichment of uranium goes through & they do all of that, would Iran still be able to use that uranium for bombs?

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2006, 08:31:09 pm »
Israel would probably pull off another Osiraq style attack.
-RoMi

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 08:39:57 pm »
If the Russian enrichment of uranium goes through & they do all of that, would Iran still be able to use that uranium for bombs?

From my understanding, the Uranium must to through two enrichment processes in order to be used as a mass to trigger an atomic explosion.  One enrichment process allows someone to use it as nuclear fuel rods.

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2006, 09:24:12 pm »
Israel would probably pull off another Osiraq style attack.

Doubtful.  That would require flying over US airspace atm.

I'm pretty sure Iran cares if they get nuked, since, like, they'd all die...

Not when its cool to be a martyr.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 09:45:33 pm »
Not when its cool to be a martyr.

Again, I'm pretty sure half of them have more sense than that.  What's the point of destroying people who oppose your religion when you also kill prospective members of your religion?

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2006, 02:38:51 pm »
They don't even have the nukes yet and we're ready to invade them, just like the "weapons of mass destruction" thing, I think we're blowing this out of proporation. The technology needed to launch a nuke from Iran to the USA  is way out of thier reach if they're only starting to build a nuke. I think as long as they are watched we should be cautious of invading them.

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2006, 05:14:52 pm »
I dont exactly remembering mentioning the US being nuked.

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2006, 05:39:49 pm »
Iran’s Nuclear Threat Fabrication Israeli intelligence has determined that Iran has neither the enriched uranium nor the capability to produce an atomic weapon now or in the immediate future, in contrast to the hysterical claims publicized by the US pro-Israel lobbies. Mohammed El Baradei, head of the United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), which has inspected Iran for several years, has pointed out that the IAEA has found no proof that Iran is trying to construct nuclear weapons. He criticized Israeli and US war plans indirectly by warning that a "military solution would be completely un-productive" (Financial Times, Dec. 10/11, 2005).

More recently, Iran, in a clear move to clarify the issue of the future use of enriched uranium, "opened the door for US help in building a nuclear power plant" (USA Today, Dec. 11, 2005). Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, Hamid Reza Asefi, speaking at a press conference, stated "America can take part in the international bidding for the construction of Iran’s nuclear power plant if they observe the basic standards and quality" (USA Today, Dec. 11, 2005). Iran also plans to build several other nuclear power plants with foreign help. The Iranian call for foreign assistance is hardly the strategy of a country trying to conduct a covert atomic bomb program, especially one directed at involving one of its principal accusers.

The Iranians are at an elementary stage in the processing of uranium, not even reaching the point of uranium enrichment, which in turn will take still a number of years, and overcoming many complex technical problems before it can build a bomb. There is no factual basis for arguing that Iran represents a nuclear threat to Israel or to the US forces in the Middle East.

I fear that Russia is something we need to worry about more.  Atleast the Iranians don't yet have the necessary capabilities to create nuclear weapons, but with Russia's help, they might have it soon.

TEHRAN, Feb. 26 — The top nuclear officials of Iran and Russia announced Sunday that they had reached initial agreement on a deal to enrich Iranian uranium on Russian soil and said that talks would continue over the details.

Something that is kind of scary is that the Russians helped build the Iranian power plant.  They ship the uranium off to Russia where it is enriched, and then it is brough back to Iran for their power plant.
the Russians built Iran's first nuclear power plant.

During his weekly news conference on Sunday, Hamidreza Assefi, the Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman, reasserted that Iran had no intention to suspend its nuclear program, which it has insisted is geared toward producing electricity and not weapons.
I wonder how long that will last.  Do you guys think that they will change gears and focus more on weapons, or do you think they are telling the truth when they say that they only are going to use it for producing electricity?

Tehran and Moscow have agreed to expand the number of countries participating in the plan to enrich Iranian uranium in Russia,
Why would they increase the number of countries participating in the plan if they didn't have plans to use that for weapons?  Wouldn't you think that Russia could help them enough with electricity so that they didn't need others to help them..  Kind of suspicous..  I am going to go out on a limb here, but who thinks that this could lead to a WWIII?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 05:42:27 pm by AntiVirus »
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 01:31:43 am »
They don't even have the nukes yet and we're ready to invade them, just like the "weapons of mass destruction" thing, I think we're blowing this out of proporation. The technology needed to launch a nuke from Iran to the USA  is way out of thier reach if they're only starting to build a nuke. I think as long as they are watched we should be cautious of invading them.

As most of us know, the country that is most likely at risk here is Israel. If you have any knowledge of our current involvement with them, and what OTHER countries have demonstrated, you would know that nearly everyone vehemently disagrees with allowing Iran to start/continue this program.