Author Topic: Microsoft Origami  (Read 9834 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Microsoft Origami
« on: March 03, 2006, 10:39:47 am »
Microsoft is planning on releasing a small portable computer

In their preview image (which I don't have a link to), they show it playing Halo.  But according to Microsoft, it doesn't have a powerful video card/cpu/anything, so it can't actually play halo:

If that price tag seems too low for a mobile PC with a high-end graphics chip--which would be necessary to run the Halo footage shown in the leaked concept video--that's because it is. The AP article says flat-out that the Origami is "not a portable version of Microsoft's Xbox videogame console," nor is it "a music player designed to take on Apple Computer Inc.'s mega-popular iPod." According to the source, the Origami will be "less powerful than full-fledged PCs," and won't have "advanced entertainment capabilities."

So what Microsoft is releasing is bigger than a newton, less powerful than a laptop, touch sensitive so you have to shield it when not in use, has a short battery life, and runs XP.  What demographic, exactly, are they trying to hit?

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Origami
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 10:41:33 am »
Halo doesn't take much to run..

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 10:42:25 am »
Halo doesn't take much to run..

I suppose you didn't read the article where Microsoft says it couldn't?

[uote]Microsoft confirmed the Origami Project video's authenticity to GameSpot, but said it was a year-old "concept video," and hinted the Halo footage was for demonstration purposes only.[/quote]

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 04:27:16 pm »
I read it, I was stating it doesn't take much to run. It probably can run it however. Don't know the exact specs so I wouldn't be able to make a good decision. Halo falls back to different flavors of DirectX if one doesn't work.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 06:07:04 pm »
So what Microsoft is releasing is bigger than a newton, less powerful than a laptop, touch sensitive so you have to shield it when not in use, has a short battery life, and runs XP.  What demographic, exactly, are they trying to hit?
The People-With-Too-Much-Money group.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 07:02:55 pm »
Based on the video, i would say this is the first generation of everything...Music, Phone, Camera, GPS, PDA-- I think that is pretty much what they will eventually hope to achieve.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 07:03:19 pm »
I read it, I was stating it doesn't take much to run. It probably can run it however. Don't know the exact specs so I wouldn't be able to make a good decision. Halo falls back to different flavors of DirectX if one doesn't work.

Wow, you read two fairly long links in less than 1.5 minutes?  And that's assuming you saw my thread exactly when I posted it.  You're pretty awesome when you're defending Microsoft!

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 07:23:42 am »

Wow, you read two fairly long links in less than 1.5 minutes?  And that's assuming you saw my thread exactly when I posted it.  You're pretty awesome when you're defending Microsoft!

I had already read up on Origami, read the hype and when it was formally announced. Thanks.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 11:48:53 am »
http://images.google.com/images?q=microsoft%20origami&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wi

They look interesting...thats all I guess.
I dont care for a phone/mp3/pda/gps/dictionary/computer/tv/moped device

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 12:54:44 pm »

I had already read up on Origami, read the hype and when it was formally announced. Thanks.

So you didn't.  Good job. 

Anyway, nobody ever answered: what is the target audience (besides people who like to waste money)?  Not music listeners, gamers, PDA-users, or laptop-users, because their specialized devices can do it better.  So what good is it?  I really don't know...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2006, 02:01:01 pm »

So you didn't.  Good job. 

Anyway, nobody ever answered: what is the target audience (besides people who like to waste money)?  Not music listeners, gamers, PDA-users, or laptop-users, because their specialized devices can do it better.  So what good is it?  I really don't know...

No I had read up on Origami before, that article was information I had seen elsewhere already. Just because you're late at reading articles don't assume everyone else is. Give me a break. This is you on your usual senslessly bash microsoft trips.

The target audience is obviously people looking for a portable solution yet are willing to give up some quality for ease of use. I wouldn't call a laptop exactly "pocket portable" and it will probably be cheaper than a PDA. It's an affordable solution.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2006, 02:09:10 pm »
No I had read up on Origami before, that article was information I had seen elsewhere already. Just because you're late at reading articles don't assume everyone else is. Give me a break. This is you on your usual senslessly bash microsoft trips.

I'd say his "senseless" bashes on Microsoft are loads more justified than your senseless defense of Microsoft.

The target audience is obviously people looking for a portable solution yet are willing to give up some quality for ease of use. I wouldn't call a laptop exactly "pocket portable" and it will probably be cheaper than a PDA. It's an affordable solution.

It seems to me that this sort of thing is a luxury.  If its trying to replace or reinvent something that people can't already afford, why would they want to buy it now?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 02:15:18 pm »

I'd say his "senseless" bashes on Microsoft are loads more justified than your senseless defense of Microsoft.

I wouldn't see this as justified. It's stupid and could be answered within minutes of actually reading.
You blindly defend anything other than MS in an attempt to fit in, give it a rest. I'll just start using "Wait till Vista" to answer most stupid MS questions. Vista is shaping up, anything else other than maybe Mac is dieing out. Like it or not, believe it or not. It's happening.

Because they are aiming at people with different kinds of money, take for example the iPod shuffle and an iPod Nano.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 02:17:51 pm »
I wouldn't see this as justified. It's stupid and could be answered within minutes of actually reading.
You blindly defend anything other than MS in an attempt to fit in, give it a rest. I'll just start using "Wait till Vista" to answer most stupid MS questions. Vista is shaping up, anything else other than maybe Mac is dieing out. Like it or not, believe it or not. It's happening.

Prove it.  You can't predict the future.  I don't see any less people using Linux or Mac.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2006, 02:25:01 pm »

Prove it.  You can't predict the future.  I don't see any less people using Linux or Mac.

But I can use a CTP. Like I said, I could care less if you believe it. "Wait till Vista" :)