Author Topic: And for Microsoft's 5000th patent....  (Read 3491 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
And for Microsoft's 5000th patent....
« on: March 07, 2006, 04:52:47 pm »
.... they patent HLTV, apparently.  In fact, there are a whole bunch of other games that use this technology, dating back to the earlier Quakes.  I think there's something seriously wrong with how "Patents" work.

Read more

The system will allow online viewers who are not involved in actual gameplay to view game highlights and instant replays, as well as let them control camera perspectives. A statement from Microsoft also describes 'A portal such as a Web site to access spectator-related services such as schedules and information on multiple games and events as well as the number of spectators and participants in each. The portal allows the spectator to find the most popular games to watch, preview the action, and then connect to the desired game or event.'
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 04:54:56 pm by iago »

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
Re: And for Microsoft's 5000th patent....
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 04:54:53 pm »
Yeah... that patent should be revoked.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 05:06:57 pm »
So should Microsoft's patent on the iPod's interface (which was submitted after the iPod was already being distributed).  Not to mention that somebody (I forget who) recently patented "interactive web pages." 

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 05:32:39 pm »
Microsft owns part of Apple, so thats understandable, I guess.
-RoMi

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 06:27:28 pm »
This is good, if they patent it first then too bad? Until they start to abuse it I see no problem with it.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:46:24 pm »
This is good, if they patent it first then too bad? Until they start to abuse it I see no problem with it.

I'm pretty sure that patents work the same way as copyrights though, which would invalidate MS's patents.  For instance, if you write some code and I copy it, and then I copyright my program that has your code, technically speaking you can sue me for copyright infringement unless we had a license agreement.  To further complicate matters, you don't even need to have registered the copyright; you simply need to prove that I copied it while the copyright was in place, register the copyright before you file the lawsuit, and do all of it within the time of the statute of limitations.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 09:04:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure that patents work the same way as copyrights though, which would invalidate MS's patents.  For instance, if you write some code and I copy it, and then I copyright my program that has your code, technically speaking you can sue me for copyright infringement unless we had a license agreement.  To further complicate matters, you don't even need to have registered the copyright; you simply need to prove that I copied it while the copyright was in place, register the copyright before you file the lawsuit, and do all of it within the time of the statute of limitations.

Yes, if they decide to sue. Let's take the Microsoft FAT patent for example. It would be highly impractical to go after all of these people.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 09:07:26 pm »
Yes, if they decide to sue. Let's take the Microsoft FAT patent for example. It would be highly impractical to go after all of these people.

But it *would* be practical for HLTV to sue Microsoft, or for Mac to sue Microsoft, since it's only one big company.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 10:26:39 pm »

But it *would* be practical for HLTV to sue Microsoft, or for Mac to sue Microsoft, since it's only one big company.

I hope that happens, just because it hasn't.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 10:33:08 pm »
The problem is, Microsoft can afford expensive lawyers and HLTV can't.  So there probably isn't much point in trying to fight MS. 

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 10:52:31 pm »
The problem is, Microsoft can afford expensive lawyers and HLTV can't.  So there probably isn't much point in trying to fight MS. 

Chances are good EFF would represent them.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 10:55:35 pm »

I don't know what that is.  I'm afraid that my legal knowledge is scarce. 

It still seems odd that they could get the patent in the first place, though.  What's it take to get a patent?  Can I go out and patent static web pages right now?

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 11:08:04 pm »

I don't know what that is.  I'm afraid that my legal knowledge is scarce. 

It still seems odd that they could get the patent in the first place, though.  What's it take to get a patent?  Can I go out and patent static web pages right now?

EFF is the Electronic Frontier Foundation, the organization that represents Bnetd in Blizzard vs Bnetd.

EFF is an internet intellectual property rights advocacy organization.

You probably could patent the idea of "static web pages" with as retarded as the current patent system is.  It not only makes patents meaningless, but.... well, that's what it does!

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 11:32:46 pm »
I'll agree on the current state of our patent system, oh well this is buisness and it's war. I doubt things will get to an extreme, if they do it should be fun to watch.