Author Topic: Hot gas  (Read 8590 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Hot gas
« on: March 09, 2006, 08:55:42 am »
Scientists produce gas at 2,000,000K, which is hotter than the core of our sun.  And they don't how they did it! 

The question is: do we want something that hot on our planet? :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Hot gas
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 09:22:51 am »
I'm surprised everything around it didn't melt.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 10:21:35 am »
Something that hot would melt everything in a 20 mile radius. 
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 10:34:53 am »
This is a cool breakthrough.  We might finally get a step in the nuclear fusion power source.

Oh and iago -- it's 2,000,000,000K.  You're short by a power of 1,000.  ;)  Still, I would like to know how they measured this reliably.

Something that hot would melt everything in a 20 mile radius. 
According to whom?  Cuz....  I'm pretty sure it didn't.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 04:34:06 pm »
I don't believe this was accurately measured, that is to say I think they're bullshitting us.  If the gas was hotter than the core of our sun, where the gas released would literally be melting and boiling.  Also, what did they use to measure temperature?  Any electronic readings would not work because NOTHING is heat resistant for 2 BILLION kelvins.  Also, any thermometer non-electronic would not work either.  The liquid inside the thermometer would boil nearly instantly.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 04:50:03 pm »
We are talking fractions of a second it takes to heat up and cooldown.  Also they probably measure temperature based on change in the temperature of the water/oil heat shield.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 05:08:04 pm »
We are talking fractions of a second it takes to heat up and cooldown.  Also they probably measure temperature based on change in the temperature of the water/oil heat shield.

Exactly.

You can measure one object's temperature from the change in temperature in another substance.

You're forgetting (Not you, Nate) that they're probably not talking about very much gas that reached this temperature.  You don't need a thermometer to measure temperature.

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 06:08:47 pm »
If you read some of the comments from Slashdot (which I assume where iago found it), it explains most of that. They contain it with a powerful magnetic field that focuses it into something like the size of mechanical lead.

But, the real question here is, how did they manage to get it to output more than the input? We could create a perpetual motion machine with this discovery if we figured out how they did it...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 06:14:53 pm »
It's doubtful that they produced more output than input.  I'm sure the energy came from somewhere. 

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 06:23:06 pm »
So like nuclear explosions don't produce more energy then is introduced?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 06:25:35 pm »
No.  The energy in a nuclear explosion comes from the energy of atoms and stuff.  E=MC2 and all that stuff. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 06:42:03 pm »
So like nuclear explosions don't produce more energy then is introduced?

No, they don't.  Exactly what iago said.  Nuclear fusion and fission reactions are simply releases of potential energy.  Mass and energy are interchangable.

From every single observation we've made, every single calculation that has been run and every single bit of logic in the Universe says that energy is always conserved.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2006, 06:59:01 pm »
You're all not really getting to the point (iago and Sidoh).  This *does* have the potential for energy because if we can produce fusion in this matter and keep it inexpensive (in terms of input energy to start the reaction), good.  Hydrogen is a cheap fuel to use, but its potential for output energy (released) is enormous because of the reaction that takes place during the fusion process.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2006, 07:02:18 pm »
You're all not really getting to the point (iago and Sidoh).  This *does* have the potential for energy because if we can produce fusion in this matter and keep it inexpensive (in terms of input energy to start the reaction), good.  Hydrogen is a cheap fuel to use, but its potential for output energy (released) is enormous because of the reaction that takes place during the fusion process.

We've known how to do this for a long time.  At the moment, it has no potential.  There's simply too much energy to deal with.  If you produce it in the concentration you need to produce the power that an average power plant pumps out, the reaction would melt through twenty feet of solid concrete.

I'm not missing the point, I'm simply correcting invalid observations that some of the people who've replied.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2006, 08:22:16 pm »
We've known how to do this for a long time.  At the moment, it has no potential.  There's simply too much energy to deal with.  If you produce it in the concentration you need to produce the power that an average power plant pumps out, the reaction would melt through twenty feet of solid concrete.
I disagree.  You may be right in that there's simply too much energy -- but what if we could slow the production speed, or be able to store the energy in a usable form outside of the reaction?  As they describe the gaseous fission reactor, it seems like it may have been consistent with what Topaz suggest, insofar as we can contain the heat electromagnetically, which would negate the need for walls.

I think that true progress in science only comes when we're not looking.  ;)