Author Topic: Hot gas  (Read 8592 times)

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
Re: Hot gas
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 08:31:17 pm »
Additionally, the need for safety equipment would be very limited, besides  the field. If there was an accident, it would likely expand, become deformed by whatever's left by the field, and dissipate quickly.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 08:53:19 pm by Topaz »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 08:40:45 pm »
I disagree.  You may be right in that there's simply too much energy -- but what if we could slow the production speed, or be able to store the energy in a usable form outside of the reaction?  As they describe the gaseous fission reactor, it seems like it may have been consistent with what Topaz suggest, insofar as we can contain the heat electromagnetically, which would negate the need for walls.

I think that true progress in science only comes when we're not looking.  ;)

Since most of the energy released in the reaction is in the form of thermal energy, I don't see how we're going to harness that energy when it's damped in an electromagnetic field.

Additionally, the need for safety equipment would be very limited outside the field. If there was an accident, it would likely expand, become deformed by whatever's left by the field, and dissipate quickly.

I fully agree.  The equipment used would have to be almost failsafe to prevent what could be one of the most catistrophic mishaps in history.

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 08:56:18 pm »
I edited my post, but what I really meant was,

If we were to figure out how to harness this energy, we would be able to build several hundred of these at low cost (I estimate 14 million USD per). Because something like this would dissipate quickly, an accident wouldn't endanger many people.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 09:01:21 pm »

If we were to figure out how to harness this energy, we would be able to build several hundred of these at low cost (I estimate 14 million USD per). Because something like this would dissipate quickly, an accident wouldn't endanger many people.

I predict we'd use heat to evaporate water, which obviously is capable of doing mechanical work.

I think the devestation of a leaked reaction would be heavily dependant on the mechanics used in the reactor.

In any case, this is pretty neat.  If they can find a way to use the EM field without nullifying all usefulness of the energy released in this reaction, it would be hugely powerful.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 09:06:36 pm »

On what grounds do you base your estimate?

Since most of the energy released in the reaction is in the form of thermal energy, I don't see how we're going to harness that energy when it's damped in an electromagnetic field.
I didn't say "damped," I said "contained."  I hope.  I *definitely* didn't say "damped."
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 09:11:18 pm »
Assuming "upgrade" means "re-build"

http://www.livescience.com/imageoftheday/siod_041104.html

Since we're working on the basis that it violates the law of conservation of energy, we'd only need something like a tenth of the power thats required for this 'Z-Machine'. I'll pretend that once we start the process, it should be able to power itself and run indefinitely.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 09:13:06 pm by Topaz »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 09:12:35 pm »
I didn't say "damped," I said "contained."  I hope.  I *definitely* didn't say "damped."

That's like hoping you can keep a beam of light going by firing it at two mirrors.  It just isn't possible.  The energy is dampened.  I meant to say dampened, not damped.  Sorry for typos, I'm trying to keep up with my raid in BWL.

I will have to do research on this before I can say anything on it for sure.  What's going to power the EM field?  To me, it seems as if it's going to have to use more energy than the reaction produces.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 10:40:37 pm »
Since we're working on the basis that it violates the law of conservation of energy, we'd only need something like a tenth of the power thats required for this 'Z-Machine'. I'll pretend that once we start the process, it should be able to power itself and run indefinitely.
Why are we operating on this premise?  We don't need to operate outside the law of conservation of energy to produce this energy.  It comes from mass.  E = mc2.

That's like hoping you can keep a beam of light going by firing it at two mirrors.  It just isn't possible.  The energy is dampened.  I meant to say dampened, not damped.  Sorry for typos, I'm trying to keep up with my raid in BWL.

I will have to do research on this before I can say anything on it for sure.  What's going to power the EM field?  To me, it seems as if it's going to have to use more energy than the reaction produces.
Well, since we don't know the properties of the EM field we cannot say with certainty whether it will consume more energy.  But to challenge your analogy, what I'm suggesting is more like the proposition of maintaining the movement rate of an electron within a volume surrounded by a negative electrical field in a vacuum.  :P
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006, 10:43:00 pm »
the gas released would literally be melting and boiling.

Hah.. Forgetting the stages of matter? That stuff comes before it gets to a gas.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 10:54:39 pm »
Why are we operating on this premise?  We don't need to operate outside the law of conservation of energy to produce this energy.  It comes from mass.  E = mc2.

If I remember correctly, the energy in a nuclear fusion reaction comes from the nuclear strong force finally overcoming the electroweak force.  When it does, it releases energy.  There are some matter anti-matter reactions included in this, but I'm pretty sure most of the energy comes from the energy released do to the formation of nuclear bonds.

Well, since we don't know the properties of the EM field we cannot say with certainty whether it will consume more energy.  But to challenge your analogy, what I'm suggesting is more like the proposition of maintaining the movement rate of an electron within a volume surrounded by a negative electrical field in a vacuum.  :P

It only makes logical sense to conclude that it takes more energy.  I do, however, agree that none of us know for sure.  I don't think that such an intensely strong EM field could be produced without consuming massive amounts of energy.  Also, how do you propose that spacial area contained inside of the EM field is a vacuum?  If it's a vacuum, there's no potential for thermal energy and the entire experiment/idea is useless.

You'd have to concentrate the heat to a pretty confined area.  That means they're going to have to find a way to provide a path for the heat to travel or break the entire barrier for fractions of a second.

Regardless of the progress made in these experiments, we're still a long way from using nuclear fusion as a power source.

Hah.. Forgetting the stages of matter? That stuff comes before it gets to a gas.

Matter behaves in unpredictable ways (to someone with only elementary knowledge, anyway) when its under extreme conditions.  Look at the core of the Earth.  It's solid.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 10:56:27 pm by Sidoh »

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 11:01:06 pm »
Matter behaves in unpredictable ways (to someone with only elementary knowledge, anyway) when its under extreme conditions.  Look at the core of the Earth.  It's solid.
I wouldn't call that weird.  At first glance, it may seem like it would be molton.  But it's also got a whole bunch of gravity pushing on it, and mountains are pretty heavy.  Just from the pressure, it seems like it would be a solid. 

That could be totally wrong, that's just how I think about it

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 11:03:19 pm »
I wouldn't call that weird.  At first glance, it may seem like it would be molton.  But it's also got a whole bunch of gravity pushing on it, and mountains are pretty heavy.  Just from the pressure, it seems like it would be a solid. 

It's still sort of strange without thinking about it much.  Yes, it's caused by everything "above" the center of mass accelerating towards it due to the force of gravity.  That was a bad example. :P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2006, 11:04:30 pm »

It's still sort of strange without thinking about it much.  Yes, it's caused by everything "above" the center of mass accelerating towards it due to the force of gravity.  That was a bad example. :P

I like my wording better.  "a whole bunch of gravity" :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2006, 11:06:16 pm »
I like my wording better.  "a whole bunch of gravity" :P

It's not "pushing" on it, though. :P

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2006, 11:06:24 pm »
Keep in mind this work is being done at a national lab so using it generate power probably isn't a priority. However, that being said using it to toast some asshole in a tank is more likely to be a future use for this technology.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham