Author Topic: Hard drive issues/concerns  (Read 2596 times)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
Hard drive issues/concerns
« on: March 11, 2006, 04:12:58 pm »
All right, I've got an extremely old hard drive.  Nowadays, whenever I boot up almost any program (Windows Explorer SOMETIMES does it.. More noticable with Photoshop, BW, C4D, SoulSeek) my hard-drive emits an extremely low humming noise.  Now, I know that's bad when it does that.  So my question is this, do you think that it's just because my case is really thin or that it's because my hard-drive is dying?  I'm contemplating backing up everything on E:\ and changing E:\ (~60gb hard-drive) to my new Master and adding a 120 while taking the 4.7gb out, but I don't want to go through installing Windows all over again (and again, because Windows sucks and won't EVER install right the first time).  Ideas? Thoughts? comments?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Hard drive issues/concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 04:28:11 pm »
non-normal noise on a hard drive is probably a good indication that it's wearing out.  I'd back up your stuff as soon as you can and probably make the dirve less heavily relied upon.

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 06:20:14 pm »
non-normal noise on a hard drive is probably a good indication that it's wearing out.  I'd back up your stuff as soon as you can and probably make the dirve less heavily relied upon.

Yes Mark. Back up your files A.S.A.P. I have had this issues with my old dell. It would keep making that humming noise for almost a day then I turn it off come back to it and it would open XP. After the 4th or 5th time doing this it just gave out and it kept going back to the DoS. Luckly My mom had a warenty with dell and they came right over and replaced it.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 06:33:32 pm »
Haha, it's my Master drive (aka C:\).  I hate life. -.-'  Oh well.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine