Author Topic: PS3 will come with... Linux?  (Read 8623 times)

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
Re: PS3 will come with... Linux?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2006, 08:45:33 pm »
GNU isn't a company, it's a concept or a policy or even an agreement. 

What you're thinking of is the Free Software Foundation. 
Ah, ok. That's what I meant then: Sony and Dell can give Linux alot more exposure then FSS, GNU is the reason Linux is free and stuff, right? While FSS is a company that does..? See I know what Sony and Dell do, but not FSS.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2006, 08:57:53 pm »
The reason Linux is free is because it doesn't cost money, GNU or not that's how it will be. The only difference would be GPL wouldn't exist but they could just as easily use another license.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2006, 09:06:53 pm »
Look, this is just my arguement, I'm sticking to it and I dont need to call anyone an idiot to feel better about myself..

Great.  We can call you an idiot if we think you are one.  Get over it...

Are you guys forgetting how powerfull next gen-consoles are becoming? You basically have a computer for the XBOX 360. It's all around media machine: you can play with others, play music and watch videos on the thing: all the things I like to do on my computer, it's there on the console.

How does this constitute Linux becoming mainstream?  You need to look up the definition of mainstream.  Sure, it's used by a lot of people, but that doesn't mean that it's hurting Microsoft in any way, shape or form just because it uses Linux.

These machines are basically computers. I'm willing to bet they're always going to improve on graphics, but to keep up they're going to add more and more features.

But they're not going to turn into PC's.  The concept of a console gaming system would be completely defeated if they did.  I really don't think it matters what operating system a gaming console uses, and as long as it does what it's supposed to (play games), there's no reason to.

Who knows if people will recongize the OS on the PS3 or not, but the fact that they're using Linux alone is a big deal.

No it's not.  It's a really safe assumption to say that they're just going to use the Linux core.  I really don't see what's so amazing about that.  You get a PS3 and use it just like you've used any other gaming console.  You expect it to run really well, because that's all its doing.  There are other gaming systems that already do that.  I don't think having Linux installed on any of them is going to change anything.

Why should people care? It's going to be companys like Dell and Sony that are going to bring Linux the big attention, NOT GNU: GNU is nothing compared to these big companys.

But they're not bringing attention to Linux.  They're mentioning that they're shipping with Linux for the 0.3% userbase that's going to care.  It's a marketting scheme.  Since others don't really know what it is, it sounds impressive.  There's very little harm in saying it ships with Linux.  They're not going to make Linux "out class" Microsoft, as you've said.  That's a croc of shit.

Ah, ok. That's what I meant then: Sony and Dell can give Linux alot more exposure then FSS, GNU is the reason Linux is free and stuff, right? While FSS is a company that does..? See I know what Sony and Dell do, but not FSS.

How in the hell is the Free Software Foundation FFS?  It's FSF...

In any case, you're partly right.  If they ship their computers with Linux, it would make Linux a lot more popular.  However, they're not going to do that.  Too many people would be massively confused and likely buy computers from somewhere else.  It'd kill the company.  Sure, if they can make Linux work "behind the scenes" (where its presence requires no extra user interaction), there's no problem in using it over a custom operating system for the console (which all other consoles use).