Author Topic: Heads roll at Microsoft  (Read 7187 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Heads roll at Microsoft
« on: March 27, 2006, 08:56:06 am »
After the most recent delay, Microsoft put a new executive in charge of future Windows projects.  In addition, they replaced several other managers.  (source)

They've Replaced a whole bunch of managers when a project is almost done, and they added a bunch of new people to the project team.  We've been told over and over in different software engineering/project management courses that those are incredibly dumb things to do.  I'm starting to wonder if Microsoft is completely screwing itself by making these moves, but I guess we'll see !

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
Re: Heads roll at Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 09:23:22 am »
We can only hope so, god I love seeing rich white people burn.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 10:10:15 am »

You're seriously an asshole.

After the most recent delay, Microsoft put a new executive in charge of future Windows projects.  In addition, they replaced several other managers.  (source)

They've Replaced a whole bunch of managers when a project is almost done, and they added a bunch of new people to the project team.  We've been told over and over in different software engineering/project management courses that those are incredibly dumb things to do.  I'm starting to wonder if Microsoft is completely screwing itself by making these moves, but I guess we'll see !

What's funny is that they say the same thing in their books (like Code Complete and Rapid Development) - these things are not good practices.

We'll see how things go.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 10:39:17 am »
What's funny is that they say the same thing in their books (like Code Complete and Rapid Development) - these things are not good practices.

We'll see how things go.

Exactly!  In my Project Management class we had a whole chapter on what NOT to do if your project is behind schedule.  They're doing pretty much everything we learned not to do.  Who's coming up with these ideas?

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:51:29 am »
Exactly!  In my Project Management class we had a whole chapter on what NOT to do if your project is behind schedule.  They're doing pretty much everything we learned not to do.  Who's coming up with these ideas?
Jobs snuck into Microsoft and sent out a memo.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 01:09:20 pm »

We'll see how things go.
Why am I an asshole? Microsoft is doing it to themselves!
I'm starting to wonder if Microsoft is completely screwing itself by making these moves, but I guess we'll see !

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 01:34:23 pm »

We'll see how things go.
I'm starting to wonder if Microsoft is completely screwing itself by making these moves, but I guess we'll see !
Because you like to watch people "burn"?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 01:39:36 pm »
Figure-of-speech.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 02:26:15 pm »
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 06:12:43 pm »

Maybe it fails in their position, Microsoft isn't going to let a project hyped so much fail. They will throw unlimited amounts of money at it if they have to, but it will get done. The replacements were done for the best of the company.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 07:07:50 pm »

Maybe it fails in their position, Microsoft isn't going to let a project hyped so much fail. They will throw unlimited amounts of money at it if they have to, but it will get done. The replacements were done for the best of the company.

That's the problem, though.  Throwing money at a problem like a slipping schedule almost invariably makes the problem worse.  Like I said, many, many projects have failed because of trying to do that. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 09:57:25 pm »
If it has to happen anyway regardless (take this situation for example) it's better to throw money at them to let them hire top notch people to continue where the others left off.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 10:01:39 pm »
That'd really suck if Microsoft went bankrupt... I'd have to learn a whole new operating system...
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 10:06:08 pm »
If it has to happen anyway regardless (take this situation for example) it's better to throw money at them to let them hire top notch people to continue where the others left off.
Then the top notch people have to learn everything that's happening, which is a lot of re-education.  Read the book, "The Mythical Man Month", it's one of the foundation books on project management and that's where they discuss why adding peopel to a project rarely speeds it up.  It's better, in general, for them to suck it up and delay the project or drop features.

That'd really suck if Microsoft went bankrupt... I'd have to learn a whole new operating system...
I really doubt that will happen.  It's just more likely that this will delay their release longer. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 10:19:17 pm »
Then the top notch people have to learn everything that's happening, which is a lot of re-education.  Read the book, "The Mythical Man Month", it's one of the foundation books on project management and that's where they discuss why adding peopel to a project rarely speeds it up.  It's better, in general, for them to suck it up and delay the project or drop features.

Well Vista has been delayed a while but I doubt new project managers will be touching much of the code in this particular instance.
If the way Windows comments code hasn't changed from Windows 2000 (Not that I saw it ;)) then I don't think there will be a problem with commenting at all and most of the programmers who program low enough in the kernel usually know what they're doing.

In general I think people implementing higher things like applications are the ones who tend to get replaced a lot which results in messy code for Windows applications. Of course with WinFX including XAML application development time is cut probably in half.