Author Topic: Lawsuits against Linux?  (Read 8810 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Lawsuits against Linux?
« on: March 27, 2006, 05:26:01 pm »
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/03/27/1826219&from=rss

I think it's absolutely pathetic that Ballmer would sue something that's free. Is he really that scared of a little competition? ;)

I'd personally be trying to find ways to screw Apple versus Linux...
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Lawsuits against Linux?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 06:10:06 pm »
I hope he does it, besides the only one affected would be those who sell Linux for profit..so I don't get you trying to get Linux some pity. If they violate patents that windows has then he should go ahead and sue them, they arn't exempt from the law.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 06:12:02 pm »
I hope he does it, besides the only one affected would be those who sell Linux for profit..so I don't get you trying to get Linux some pity. If they violate patents that windows has then he should go ahead and sue them, they arn't exempt from the law.

Torvalds would be affected if he licenses Microsoft IP in the Linux kernel.  That'd be hard to prove, though.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 06:16:17 pm »

So those who distribute it freely would go untouched? Good!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 06:36:08 pm »
[...] and already owns more than 4000 patents, including many patents on fundamental, but trivial technologies, like double clicks.

Wtf?

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 08:12:06 pm »
I read that too. Bill Gates owns double clicking?!

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 08:16:05 pm »
I read that too. Bill Gates owns double clicking?!

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a judge to uphold that patent, primarily because his office couldn't enter the data if they did.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 09:34:20 pm »
See, the problem is that too many stupid things get patented so patents become a joke.

They should do what FreeBSD did and move to Canada :)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 09:43:50 pm »
See, the problem is that too many stupid things get patented so patents become a joke.

They should do what FreeBSD did and move to Canada :)

Haha, that's a good idea. :)

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 11:32:26 am »
Hahaha.  Steve Ballmer is a funny guy.

Ballmer: One, people value their time. Our stuff does more, and they like that. Two, people value their time, and those [free] things tend to be clunky. Let's say you think you can save $50. And then you go and waste three hours. You tell me how quick that payback is. You can sketch that out at the enterprise level as much as you can at the individual end-user level. So people value their time, and people value their capability. Frankly, people value not only the compatibility our stuff has with itself, but they value the add-ons and the third-party customization that people have done. As long as we keep pushing the pace of innovation and delivering that value, I think we have a great opportunity.
Right.  For $150~ (I didn't actually buy XP mind you, but it would be the same time for install ;)) I had to install Windows 3 times and waste four hours doing so.  Right, people value their time, which is why they don't install Windows.  Linux took two tries (the first one I didn't install the un-gzipper program so it broke the package install) at a total of ~2 hours.  And that was a first time install, too. Rocked?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 11:35:39 am »
There are more dosile (and more sensible) reasons that Windows is more useful than Linux in some cases.  Ballmer is an idiot, if you ask me.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 12:04:12 pm »
Hahaha.  Steve Ballmer is a funny guy.

Ballmer: One, people value their time. Our stuff does more, and they like that. Two, people value their time, and those [free] things tend to be clunky. Let's say you think you can save $50. And then you go and waste three hours. You tell me how quick that payback is. You can sketch that out at the enterprise level as much as you can at the individual end-user level. So people value their time, and people value their capability. Frankly, people value not only the compatibility our stuff has with itself, but they value the add-ons and the third-party customization that people have done. As long as we keep pushing the pace of innovation and delivering that value, I think we have a great opportunity.
Right.  For $150~ (I didn't actually buy XP mind you, but it would be the same time for install ;)) I had to install Windows 3 times and waste four hours doing so.  Right, people value their time, which is why they don't install Windows.  Linux took two tries (the first one I didn't install the un-gzipper program so it broke the package install) at a total of ~2 hours.  And that was a first time install, too. Rocked?

I think yours is an exceptional case.  Because you're a LOSER.

Offline Feanor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 12:05:18 pm »
Microsoft will never bring a lawsuit againts Linux. It is just silly, and there is no money to gain by sueing linux.
Share the knowledge.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 12:13:53 pm »
I think yours is an exceptional case.  Because you're a LOSER.
Jeez Myndy, so harsh.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 12:20:01 pm »
Microsoft will never bring a lawsuit againts Linux. It is just silly, and there is no money to gain by sueing linux.
Well, would they actually be sueing Linux or would the be sueing the people who sold linux with things that violate Microsoft's patents?
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus