Author Topic: Gold Farming is against the rules?  (Read 4612 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Gold Farming is against the rules?
« on: March 27, 2006, 05:42:41 pm »
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060324-6459.html

I fail to see how it's against the rules, really. If they want to waste their time farming gold, let them. They paid their $15/mo, what's wrong with them making some profit off of the game?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Gold Farming is against the rules?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 05:45:15 pm »

I fail to see how it's against the rules, really. If they want to waste their time farming gold, let them. They paid their $15/mo, what's wrong with them making some profit off of the game?

I think it's because people sell it for real cash.  That's against the TOS, but they can't do much other than ban accounts since most places you buy gold at are based in foriegn countries.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 08:15:47 pm »
u buy gold US dollar only plz :)

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with farming gold, but if they see you farming it then continuesly sending it to others for no reason...
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 10:48:33 pm »
Actually, farming and selling gold fucks with World of Warcraft's economy. Say chinese_farmer194 obtained a badass epic while farming for other items. Chinese_farmer194 sells it for 1000g to American_raider194. Now, the 1000g that American_raider194 saved up came from selling many different items on the auction house. Guess where the money that other people payed with for American_raider194's items came from? That's right, them selling items to more people. Now, Chinese_farmer194 isn't using the 1000g he just got to buy more items from other people, but to sell the gold for real money. The person who usually buys the gold just bought the game and spend all of their money on items that become useless at end game content, and they spend it all at vendors. The money no longer circulates, and the 1000g that was brought up by selling certain items to vendors is now gone.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 11:13:49 pm »
That's a pretty severe generalization, but it's partly correct.  That part is intuitively obvious, I think.

Blaze was saying there was nothing wrong with farming gold.  He didn't say there wasn't anyting wrong with selling the gold you make (in mass quantities) for real money.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 11:33:33 pm »
Actually, farming and selling gold fucks with World of Warcraft's economy. Say chinese_farmer194 obtained a badass epic while farming for other items. Chinese_farmer194 sells it for 1000g to American_raider194. Now, the 1000g that American_raider194 saved up came from selling many different items on the auction house. Guess where the money that other people payed with for American_raider194's items came from? That's right, them selling items to more people. Now, Chinese_farmer194 isn't using the 1000g he just got to buy more items from other people, but to sell the gold for real money. The person who usually buys the gold just bought the game and spend all of their money on items that become useless at end game content, and they spend it all at vendors. The money no longer circulates, and the 1000g that was brought up by selling certain items to vendors is now gone.
My experience is that the credit/gold farmers typically raise prices.  The person who bought the gold can then afford many more things, and he will bid outrageous amounts.  People see this item actually sell for said outrageous price, and they start selling theirs for that much.  I don't know, most of my experience is with SWG, though, where the economy was (still is sort of) entirely player driven.
errr... something like that...

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 02:09:43 am »

They don't mean actual 'farming' of gold. When people say 'farmer' in WoW, it means chinese guy who plays all day, and sells it to a company. This is exactly how it works:

Brand new server, the first people to level 60 are the farmers and the ones being powerleveled.

More people begin leveling up, and the need for money increases. The ones that don't want to waste their time working for money, go buy, say, 2000 gold for $120, this then making them have an overwhelmingly un-cared for amount of money that they'll be willing to waste on something expensive that they need. On every server, everyone knows there are gold buyers, this brings out people who play the auction house, generally what this is is buying low, selling for an absurd amount higher, hoping a goldbuyer wants it, completely excluding others who work for their money.

So then the only way to make money is playing the AH, therefore making more thinks too expensive to people who actually get their money properly.

Generally, banning gold farmers is perfectly fine with me, if they're gone, our server's economy goes to a normal state, instead of everyone ripping off eachother and something such as a Widowmaker not being worth 400 gold.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 05:23:46 pm »

Yeah, but everyone started the game with 0g0s0c, even the farmers. Remember, the gold that no longer circulates is replaced with gold that newly circulates (dropped from monsters, quest rewards, the supply is theoretically infinite).

On a side note, if anyone sells/buys gold in the US, they're potentially going to get sued for buying or selling property of Blizzard.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 05:47:27 pm »

Yeah, but everyone started the game with 0g0s0c, even the farmers. Remember, the gold that no longer circulates is replaced with gold that newly circulates (dropped from monsters, quest rewards, the supply is theoretically infinite).

On a side note, if anyone sells/buys gold in the US, they're potentially going to get sued for buying or selling property of Blizzard.
No one gets sued for buying gold, there's never actual proof that they bought gold.

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 06:16:40 pm »
There's never proof of anything before an investigation takes place (only exception I can think of is destroyed property or a dead body), but a credit card charge to a gold-buying place is proof enough in this twisted country.

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 06:50:21 pm »
There's never proof of anything before an investigation takes place (only exception I can think of is destroyed property or a dead body), but a credit card charge to a gold-buying place is proof enough in this twisted country.

I agree. You cant get away with nothing know a days.
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 05:59:33 am »
The fact is Blizzard is not suing people for 40 dollars, don't be stupid. ;)

Offline Joe

• B&
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 07:55:19 am »

The fact is these are massive operations making far more than 40 dollars, don't be stupid. ;)

Btw, your gold site must suck if you're spending $40. wowmine.com, $7=100g.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 09:44:34 am »
The fact is these are massive operations making far more than 40 dollars, don't be stupid. ;)

Did it occur to you that he might have purchased more than 100g?

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2006, 11:50:43 am »

First, I was talking about the gold BUYERS not the company, as is that's what you mentioned. Don't be stupid.

Secondly, refer to Sidoh's post. I know people who buy gold 2000g at a time.