Author Topic: Workout music  (Read 10656 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Workout music
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2006, 08:59:57 pm »
AFAIK the best compression on mp3 files is rar. gzip and bzip2 fail to compare to how much space you can save. (the half a megabyte that is)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2006, 09:17:52 pm »
Like you should tar+gzip those songs and email them to razorm@gmail.com iago! I have to put together a presentation with a target audience in the same age group.
Just use Limewire.  I found them all with ease. 

AFAIK the best compression on mp3 files is rar. gzip and bzip2 fail to compare to how much space you can save. (the half a megabyte that is)
By design, MP3's already have really high ... bah, what's that word for randomness?  Entropy?  Something like that.  Anyway, they don't have very many patterns to exploit so compression won't do much at all to them. 

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2006, 09:48:06 pm »
So? You can still shave off half a meg or so. :)
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 10:29:13 pm »

For the sake of iago I was going with something Linux natively supports. Wouldn't want him to have to go out of his way but if he won't send me the music anyways bleh @ him! :(
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 10:30:25 pm »
If you wanted to go all out, you could reencode all of the mp3s in a variable bitrate format that supports higher compression :-P

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 10:34:32 pm »

For the sake of iago I was going with something Linux natively supports. Wouldn't want him to have to go out of his way but if he won't send me the music anyways bleh @ him! :(

Uhh, winRAR works on Linux.

Code: [Select]
rar a -r -m5 forzorm.rar ./path/to/mp3s
- Newby

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 10:51:21 pm »

Thats something Linux distros normally ship with? Cause on the winRAR site is says its not free... so yeah I doubt iago is using winRAR.
- William of Ockham

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 10:56:14 pm »
WinRAR is not free.  RAR is free.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 11:40:25 pm »

Linux doesn't natively support any file compression.  however gzip, bzip2, and infozip (which uses .zip format) generally ship by default.  You shouldn't mix those up! :P

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2006, 12:03:21 am »
Linux doesn't natively support any file compression.  however gzip, bzip2, and infozip (which uses .zip format) generally ship by default.  You shouldn't mix those up! :P

Erm, I was thinking correctly but only stated it correctly in my previous post when mentions linux, distros and shipping normally.
- William of Ockham

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2006, 02:14:16 pm »

Thats something Linux distros normally ship with? Cause on the winRAR site is says its not free... so yeah I doubt iago is using winRAR.

You didn't say ships with, you said "natively supports".

You lose.
- Newby