Author Topic: No Aero for pirates  (Read 8129 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
No Aero for pirates
« on: April 13, 2006, 06:12:21 pm »
http://news.com.com/Vista+wont+show+fancy+side+to+pirates/2100-1016_3-6060700.html?tag=nefd.lede

Microsoft is planning to ensure you've purchased Vista legally, otherwise you won't be able to use the fancy new "Aero" interface. 

It seems to me that they're trying to encourage people like me, who hate annoyingly-fancy interfaces, to pirate Vista :)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: No Aero for pirates
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 06:32:29 pm »
It's a clever marketing strategy, people will post the solution and humans having the nature of overcoming obstacles put infront of them will use it.
It will make money for their partners ATi and nVidia due to their needing high end cards to run Aero. It will also ensure they maintain their market share.

Additionally, it's possible to turn of Aero's 3D effects (Don't know why one would want to but some seem to like using dated things *shrug*)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 06:48:58 pm »
It's a clever marketing strategy, people will post the solution and humans having the nature of overcoming obstacles put infront of them will use it.
It will make money for their partners ATi and nVidia due to their needing high end cards to run Aero. It will also ensure they maintain their market share.

Additionally, it's possible to turn of Aero's 3D effects (Don't know why one would want to but some seem to like using dated things *shrug*)

I don't really see how what you say reflects on what I posted. 

But I think a good reason to turn them off is, perhaps, you don't WANT an annoying 3d operating system?  Or maybe you didn't spend a lot of money on a high-end computer?  Those are the first couple reasons that come to mind.  If I was planning on using Vista, I'd fall in both of those categories.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 06:50:56 pm »
* Joe wonders why anyone would try pirating Vista in the first place.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 07:08:22 pm »
Because nobody wants to spend $600 for a Microsoft-top-of-the-line OS?  Maybe if Vista doesn't completely suck, and they lower the price about $500 I would buy the ultimate edition.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 07:12:27 pm »
Because nobody wants to spend $600 for a Microsoft-top-of-the-line OS?  Maybe if Vista doesn't completely suck, and they lower the price about $500 I would buy the ultimate edition.

Is that the price?  I figured $300 for Ultimate, probably $225 for an upgrade edition.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 07:35:04 pm »

I don't really see how what you say reflects on what I posted. 

But I think a good reason to turn them off is, perhaps, you don't WANT an annoying 3d operating system?  Or maybe you didn't spend a lot of money on a high-end computer?  Those are the first couple reasons that come to mind.  If I was planning on using Vista, I'd fall in both of those categories.

Then you'd fall into the category of wanting everything for dirt cheap, and using dated features. Oh well, maybe in a few years you guys will get it.

I also love how people who've never used Vista make comments on how good/bad it is. Shutup and review it yourself then speak.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 07:39:13 pm »
Clever my ass.  This is downright desperate.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 07:41:32 pm »
Then you'd fall into the category of wanting everything for dirt cheap, and using dated features. Oh well, maybe in a few years you guys will get it.

I also love how people who've never used Vista make comments on how good/bad it is. Shutup and review it yourself then speak.
You make it sound like a bad thing to use older features.  In my opinion, whatever is the most stable and productive is the best for me to use.  I have found an operating system that does all that.  I don't want anything else. 

I'm not making comments on Vista, I'm making comments on flashy 3d graphics.  I hate them.  I hate Mac OS X's interface.  I hate Windows XP's interface, even.  Not to mention KDE and Gnome.  They try to do too much with graphics and end up with useless clutter. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 07:47:41 pm »
The last half was geared torwards deadly's comment.

@Sidoh: It's alright if you can't think outside of the box, I have no idea why Microsoft would need to be "desperate". It currently dominates the market.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 07:54:33 pm »
@Sidoh: It's alright if you can't think outside of the box, I have no idea why Microsoft would need to be "desperate". It currently dominates the market.

If you think disabling constituents of the GUI is innovative, I think you're stupid and close minded.  I don't know why they would need to be desperate either, but it sure as hell seems they're striving at in areas they don't need to be doing so.

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 08:06:26 pm »
http://news.com.com/Vista+wont+show+fancy+side+to+pirates/2100-1016_3-6060700.html?tag=nefd.lede

Microsoft is planning to ensure you've purchased Vista legally, otherwise you won't be able to use the fancy new "Aero" interface. 

It seems to me that they're trying to encourage people like me, who hate annoyingly-fancy interfaces, to pirate Vista :)
I don't care about the Aero interface, I use the Windows Classic Theme. :P I can't stand flashy things, like the default theme for Windows XP.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 08:11:41 pm »
Besides, if pirates want Aero that badly they will get it.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 08:18:57 pm »
I love how you can't read.

I said "If it doesn't suck"
All other Windows operating systems have sucked.  They've lacked security, they've integrated too much crap with the kernel (I don't need my file explorer to be my internet browser, thanks!), and they've been loaded with bugs.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 08:39:53 pm »

I don't want things dirt cheap, I want my OS for free.

I want to know why I'd pay $300 for an OS when I could get one for free.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.