Author Topic: What to do with my tax return?  (Read 11672 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: What to do with my tax return?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 11:16:04 pm »
I turn 18 in an hour. I dont know anything about taxes!

I paid taxes when I was 16, son.

Why? Loser!

No but seriously, how much income were you making at 16? :p

I didn't make enough to not get a full refund, not until I was 18 anyway (I think I made about $4000 my first year working and about $8000 the next, because my birthday is mid-year), but I did have money withheld from my paycheck, and they most definitely will tax you if you're making more than what you can deduct.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 11:19:02 pm »
Invest part of it + buy my a Motorola SLVR

If you're not in it for Music or Upgradeable Memory get the SLVR L6 It's about $100 cheaper

The only thing the L7 has over it is a built in Media Player and Changeable Memory
The L6 comes with 10MB of shared memory (Still can play music but like..1-2 songs)

That's it, same size, same camera (wow, what a rip), same general features.

Well my L7 came with 2GB of memory (Bought it specially from ebay) but I'm wishing
I would have gotten the L6. I'm getting a nano and it seems pointless when a nano does this and probably more.

Oh well all in all the SLVR is an "Okay" phone. Not as nice as my Samsung T809 but it's good if you want currently the skinniest phone.

That's lame. My Motorola V360 came with 64MB of memory and some crazy features, all for a very low price with contract signing. SLVR sucks =/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 11:42:16 pm by Warrior[x86] »
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Towelie

• pwnstar
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2006, 11:33:25 pm »
About 10 years ago, the Canadian dollar was the butt of most American jokes, because USD$1 was about CAD$0.56.  Your dollar was worth nearly twice what ours was worth.  However, in the last 8 years or so, the Canadian dollar has risen in value significantly, to the pont where USD$1 is ~CAD$0.88. 

So yes, your dollar is worth ours, but not by nearly as much as it used to. 

I'm getting back $2500. My choices are:

1) Save it and live on it till I get a job (hopefully soon), then worry after that
2) Pay to have my Wisdom teeth removed, if I don't have a job by June

I'm sure it'll be one of those.

Go with option one.  I'd recommend finding a job that has medical benefits so they can help cover the cost of getting your wisdom teeth pulled.
Well, I have to get them out ASAP, so I don't have a chance to be picky.  I just have to hope that I can find a job with medical benefits. 

Getting them out sucks :( Hopefully it wont suck too much for you.... but it will still suck

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2006, 11:44:55 pm »

If you're not in it for Music or Upgradeable Memory get the SLVR L6 It's about $100 cheaper

The only thing the L7 has over it is a built in Media Player and Changeable Memory
The L6 comes with 10MB of shared memory (Still can play music but like..1-2 songs)

Well my L7 came with 2GB of memory (Bought it specially from ebay) but I'm wishing
I would have gotten the L6. I'm getting a nano and it seems pointless when a nano does this and probably more.

Oh well all in all the SLVR is an "Okay" phone. Not as nice as my Samsung T809 but it's good if you want currently the skinniest phone.

That's lame. My Motorola V360 came with 64MB of memory and some crazy features, all for a very low price with contract signing. SLVR sucks =/

You fucked up quotes but oh well.

I was going to get t809 but battery life sux0rz and this phone is equivilent, yet $100 less.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2006, 11:53:51 pm »
You ought to invest some of the money into tax-free IRAs!  I plan to do that next year with about...$5k or so, I hope it works.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2006, 12:16:44 am »

You fucked up quotes but oh well.

I was going to get t809 but battery life sux0rz and this phone is equivilent, yet $100 less.

YES IT DOES. Seriously it's like 4 hour battery life. However every aspect of the phone is amazing.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2006, 01:29:54 am »
You ought to invest some of the money into tax-free IRAs!  I plan to do that next year with about...$5k or so, I hope it works.

There's no such thing as a tax-free IRA.  You can pay the tax when you get the money out (you deduct from this year's taxes what you put into the IRA) and pay the tax as normal income when you take the money out of the IRA.  The alternative, a Roth IRA, which I already have, which you can put in a limited amount of money paying your current tax rate (basically you don't get to deduct your contribution in this year's taxes), but you don't have to pay taxes on it or the interest when you pull it out.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 01:43:33 am »

There's no such thing as a tax-free IRA.  You can pay the tax when you get the money out (you deduct from this year's taxes what you put into the IRA) and pay the tax as normal income when you take the money out of the IRA.  The alternative, a Roth IRA, which I already have, which you can put in a limited amount of money paying your current tax rate (basically you don't get to deduct your contribution in this year's taxes), but you don't have to pay taxes on it or the interest when you pull it out.
I guess I misunderstood the roth IRA when it was explained to me.
How does it work...?

Offline Explicit

• Hail Bender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 01:44:50 am »
I'm getting back $2500. My choices are:

1) Save it and live on it till I get a job (hopefully soon), then worry after that
2) Pay to have my Wisdom teeth removed, if I don't have a job by June

I'm sure it'll be one of those.

Go with option one. I'd recommend finding a job that has medical benefits so they can help cover the cost of getting your wisdom teeth pulled.
Well, I have to get them out ASAP, so I don't have a chance to be picky. I just have to hope that I can find a job with medical benefits.

They're hurting that bad, huh?  Well, good luck finding a job/getting them pulled if that's what you decide to do.
Like all things in life, pumping is just a primitive, degenerate form of bending.

Hey, I don't tell you how to tell me what to do, so don't tell me how to do what you tell me to do! ... Bender knows when to use finesse.

[13:41:45]<@Fapiko> Why is TehUser asking for wang pictures?
[13:42:03]<@TehUser> I wasn't asking for wang pictures, I was looking at them.
[13:47:40]<@TehUser> Mine's fairly short.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 01:48:35 am »
Around here as long as you make less then $8,000 per year, you don't have to pay taxes, which is nice.  :)

The Canadian dollar used to be worth more then the American at one point?
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2006, 01:51:40 am »
Around here as long as you make less then $8,000 per year, you don't have to pay taxes, which is nice.  :)

The Canadian dollar used to be worth more then the American at one point?

The relative value of a curency is sometimes a poor measurement of economical strength.  For as long as I've been interested or aware, one American Dolar has been worth more than one Canadian Dolar, but like I said, I don't think any less of Canada because of that. ;P

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2006, 11:23:15 am »
Getting them out sucks :( Hopefully it wont suck too much for you.... but it will still suck
Eh, it's such a common operation that pretty much everybody gets, so I'm not really worried about it. 

They're hurting that bad, huh?  Well, good luck finding a job/getting them pulled if that's what you decide to do.
No, they don't hurt at all.  But they're causing infection in the gum and a cavity in the next tooth over.  He said if I wait too long I'll be getting 6 teeth out instead of 4. 

The relative value of a curency is sometimes a poor measurement of economical strength.  For as long as I've been interested or aware, one American Dolar has been worth more than one Canadian Dolar, but like I said, I don't think any less of Canada because of that. ;P
It's not the current value that's important, it's the change in value.  Delta(value).  As far back as I remember, yours used to be worth significantly more than ours, but now it's only worth a little more than ours.  So either we've went up (not that I've seen) or you've went down :P

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2006, 11:50:12 am »
It's not the current value that's important, it's the change in value.  Delta(value).  As far back as I remember, yours used to be worth significantly more than ours, but now it's only worth a little more than ours.  So either we've went up (not that I've seen) or you've went down :P

It's our money feeling bad for you money and therefore lowering it's worth :)
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2006, 12:54:24 pm »
it's the euro's fault.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2006, 11:21:27 am »

I blame it on the war.