Author Topic: Watch ads or die!  (Read 6242 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Watch ads or die!
« on: April 18, 2006, 07:53:32 pm »
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/04/18/2032219&from=rss

Wow. That's pathetic. Do they think they'll ever sell another product if this is implemented?

I personally will boycott anything they make if this occurs. They're not very good at marketing, seeing as how they give no benefits to why this is a good feature.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Watch ads or die!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 07:58:53 pm »
That is GAY!...I will not buy anything that has that

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 09:10:15 pm »
If I didn't already think Philips products were garbage, I would now.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 02:01:05 am »
Are they going to make me watch ads on their coffee maker?   :-\
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 02:11:42 am »
Very easy to bypass any technology they implement. I've already hacked my Comcast DVR remote to allow me to jump ahead by 30 seconds on the press of a single button, effectively skipping commercials.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 08:54:31 am »
Very easy to bypass any technology they implement. I've already hacked my Comcast DVR remote to allow me to jump ahead by 30 seconds on the press of a single button, effectively skipping commercials.

Wow you're too cool for me.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 10:31:15 am »
Media Center does that out of the box.
-RoMi

Offline AntiVirus

• Legendary
  • x86
  • Best
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 11:36:52 am »
Yeah, that's stupid.  I wouldn't buy any of that crap if it had it.
The once grove of splendor,
Aforetime crowned by lilac and lily,
Lay now forevermore slender;
And all winds that liven
Silhouette a lone existence;
A leafless oak grasping at eternity.

"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 12:00:02 pm »
Well, they give the option to pay to remove the ads. 

So the questions become: are you saving money by viewing ads?  If it's cheaper due to the ads, then ok.  But if you're paying the same price and getting ads, screw it. 

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 12:36:08 pm »
Media Center does that out of the box.

I know. The point is that on Comcast's control, it was disabled to prevent easily skipping commericials. But if you use a little tool called Google, you can set the remote to do it, even though it was disabled. This is an example of unlocking a feature to do unwanted things with their product. I'm just saying, it's very easy to fix things like this, even if they prevent it. I'm sure this will not be much different: there will always be a way around their protection.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 02:02:15 pm »
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Remember the Philips Zelda travesty? I like the Zelda games alot but I didn't buy that because it sucked.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 11:41:10 pm »

So the questions become: are you saving money by viewing ads?  If it's cheaper due to the ads, then ok.  But if you're paying the same price and getting ads, screw it. 

Why would I pay to remove the ads, when I could just buy something different (probably cheaper) and have no ads?

Why would I support them? That's like giving a giant evil corporation money. I need ads to go take a piss, get a soda, heat up some popcorn, and what not.
- Newby

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 08:55:18 am »
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 01:29:10 pm »

Why would I pay to remove the ads, when I could just buy something different (probably cheaper) and have no ads?

Why would I support them? That's like giving a giant evil corporation money. I need ads to go take a piss, get a soda, heat up some popcorn, and what not.

Note where I said if it's cheaper due to the ads.  If that's the case, I'm happy.  If it's the same price or more, plus ads, then no. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 06:16:49 pm »
It's called a "Mute" button and a magazine...