Author Topic: Hello from a laptop running chinese XP  (Read 7840 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from a laptop running chinese XP
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2006, 09:08:14 pm »
I have too much experience with language...
My dad was a language major in college, and randomly starts speaking German at the table.  Sometimes he speaks French with my oldest sister, which is really annoying.

My girlfriend is teaching me Vietnamese (but I'm failing) and my NT classmates have been pushing Korean on me.  There's also this girl, Karen, in 11th grade (who I don't see much) who speaks Cantonese (I think).  Personally I prefer the following order in Asiatic languages: Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese, and then all the other ones I haven't heard.

I studied Latin for a while, and then Italian.  I was surprised how different Italian was from Latin.  It's just like...a huge gaping difference of doomyness.

I live in America, so obviously I've been exposed to Spanish.

I go to school in the city, so I've also been exposed to Hebrew.

Cartman is a fat kid, so I've been introduced to Arameic (sp?).

My FAVORITE language, however, is definately Jersey English, cause it's awesome.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 09:12:20 pm »
My interests include computers and cars, and I live in San Jose, California. You've been here, and although you were mainly downtown (viva la revolution!), you can tell there is a large asian population here (Ergot). It's not hard to believe that I speak some of each of those languages.

Personally, I think all languages are boring (other than Italian, which has some interesting scientific studies to back up my interest--I'll go into more detail if wanted).

Are you referring to the study that showed that when someone speaks Italian, they use the portion of their brain that creativity, music, and all that beautiful stuff takes place in?
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2006, 09:18:03 pm »
I have too much experience with language...
My dad was a language major in college, and randomly starts speaking German at the table.  Sometimes he speaks French with my oldest sister, which is really annoying.

My girlfriend is teaching me Vietnamese (but I'm failing) and my NT classmates have been pushing Korean on me.  There's also this girl, Karen, in 11th grade (who I don't see much) who speaks Cantonese (I think).  Personally I prefer the following order in Asiatic languages: Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese, and then all the other ones I haven't heard.

I studied Latin for a while, and then Italian.  I was surprised how different Italian was from Latin.  It's just like...a huge gaping difference of doomyness.

I live in America, so obviously I've been exposed to Spanish.

My FAVORITE language, however, is definately Jersey English, cause it's awesome.

Yeah, Japanese is great too. Tell your girlfriend "du ma!", she'll love you long time.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2006, 09:44:22 pm »

I love you! Ancient languages are pretty sweet. Aramaic*, btw.

I can't really see why people in the city or fat people would know those languages, but ok.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2006, 11:01:14 pm »
Japanese is a hot language.  I can understand and speak enough french to get by in Quebec.  btw, Quebec french is much lazier/sloppy then real french.  :)

Spelling in other languages sucks.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 03:46:18 pm »
Are you referring to the study that showed that when someone speaks Italian, they use the portion of their brain that creativity, music, and all that beautiful stuff takes place in?

That's the one!  I think I've actually referred to it a few times on these boards.

Japanese is a hot language.  I can understand and speak enough french to get by in Quebec.  btw, Quebec french is much lazier/sloppy then real french.  :)

Kind of like American English? :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 06:48:17 pm »
Was that study of native Italian speakers or of people who SPEAK it?  It's true for almost any language that if it's not native it comes from the artistic areas.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 07:47:31 pm »
Was that study of native Italian speakers or of people who SPEAK it?  It's true for almost any language that if it's not native it comes from the artistic areas.

It was published in Science News, which I hope you recognize as a merritable science magazine.  If it did not follow scientific proceedure (which entails the elimination of as many variables at a time as possible -- this includes native and non-native speakers being recognized), I highly doubt the article would have been published.

In conclusion, it was a study of people who natively speak the language.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 04:50:44 pm »
Sidoh's original message:
I listen to Japanese Oman going to same peanormal? Sasa he let a sex maniac in the amount we 'll talk him inside me Kazakhstan Kazakhstan approved spraying

Lihao's message:
Who says nothing is your own level of bad Chinese, so do not know then.

Sidoh's second message:
My name is Oman, yesterday he said that he and beans as ordinary. Sasa eat one of the youngest people in the sex maniac? Name is the forehead, and we will play tongue tip back, and I him laugh together spraying saliva.

Up:
-
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2006, 12:27:00 pm »
Sidoh's original message:
I listen to Japanese Oman going to same peanormal? Sasa he let a sex maniac in the amount we 'll talk him inside me Kazakhstan Kazakhstan approved spraying

Lihao's message:
Who says nothing is your own level of bad Chinese, so do not know then.

Sidoh's second message:
My name is Oman, yesterday he said that he and beans as ordinary. Sasa eat one of the youngest people in the sex maniac? Name is the forehead, and we will play tongue tip back, and I him laugh together spraying saliva.

Up:
-

Haha, yeah.  The second message was actually Lihao as well; he was trying to form a more literate explanation of what I'd created to begin with.

Incidentally, he's going back to China soon.  He's taking a travel vacation to Yellowstone, Las Vegas and Hawaii before he goes back for the summer, then he'll move back to Colorado.  He's going to attend college at CU Bolder.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 02:10:31 pm »

Yes, I know Kim Jong-Il isn't from China.

I'm going to hell.  :P
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 11:05:37 pm »
You were going to hell well before you posted that.

Dude, we have an exchange student at my school (he's Japanese) and we got him to say his "L" like Kim Jong-Il.  It was so funny.
We were like
"Hey.. say hello"
he repsonds "... Oh fuck you." :P
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine