Author Topic: Opinion  (Read 3329 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Opinion
« on: May 24, 2006, 05:56:02 pm »
I've been using Beta2 for a few hours now and the new security protection is annoying the crap out of me.

First off, it locks the screen so that you MUST type a password before continuing. Second it does it for SIGNED PRODUCTS written by MICROSOFT. I don't know but I think they need something a little smarter than this. I understand it protects from a program just hijacking an MS component but seriously..that's rediculous.

What are some ways you think it can be improved? Frankly, I just hit enter whenever it comes up since it can happen during important things. Eg. Imagine it happening during a Counter-Strike match or WoW raid.

Beta2 so far is awesome, all of my hardware works flawlessly and speedy but cmon Redmond..give me something better than this.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Opinion
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 06:59:16 pm »
Do you frequently install software while running CS?  Or does this happen for updates, too? 

Presumably, the user isn't given root access, so any programs he runs shouldn't have root access.  Giving root access to certain programs would be more dangerous, so I understand why you need a password. 

However, locking the screen is pretty dumb, I'll agree.  Give me a prompt and let me minimize it if I'm busy. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 08:53:31 pm »
However, locking the screen is pretty dumb, I'll agree.  Give me a prompt and let me minimize it if I'm busy. 
No way. That restart Windows prompt that appears every five minutes is not cool.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 12:22:44 am »
So does Windows finally have a not shitty command line?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 01:28:51 am »
So does Windows finally have a not shitty command line?

Google for the Monad shell.  It's still in beta.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 02:12:24 am »
I thought it had a name change... and upon referencing Google and Wikipedia... it's now Windows PowerShell.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 07:23:48 pm »
We're talking about build 5384, right?

This is by far the most stable I've seen it.  Plus, my WDM audio drivers work for my Audigy 2, so even though the user-mode drivers for it aren't yet available, I still have sound that sounds good.  Finally!  Something I could actually use!

I've been saying it since the first time I played with Vista: the security popups are going to drive users crazy.  There has GOT to be a happy medium somewhere between where it's at now and where it was.  FC5 has a nice feature: you can choose to retain the security context.  Of course, then it stops asking for root access, and we're back at square 1.

There's also still a bit of a flicker when it asks whether I want to allow something to run.  I'm not sure why this is.

Aside from that, I think it's just about ready to go live.  Looking sharp!  Media Center looks good, too, compared to MCE's.  :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 05:01:05 pm »
Yes 5384 and it's still an annoying issue. They've done NO work on the issue.

@iago: It pops up for some starting services, something an outside application can trigger. It would quickly get really annoying.

I think just give me a prompt but don't make it steal away focus. I don't agree with any window for the most part stealing away focus. A flash in the taskbar at the most. WHO decides what application is SO IMPORTANT that they take focus away from what I'm currently doing?
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 05:27:48 pm »
WHO decides what application is SO IMPORTANT that they take focus away from what I'm currently doing?

Microsoft does, because it's their operating system?

They're trying to buff up security. They've never been secure. Give them time, they'll find out this is overkill. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 05:31:41 pm »
Well yea but it shouldn't be like that. It's a flaw with nearly every UI out there. Who cares how much I can get my penis enlarged, who cares if my OS is done with updates. I'll see it eventually. A flashing taskbar is a great idea and it's more than enough.

And to the security thing: I think it's better they realize it early, Windows releases are turning into "Welcome to Windows Vista", 2 months later "Welcome to Windows Vista SP1 -- The REAL Vista" 5 months later "Welcome to Windows Vista SP2 - No srlsly, the real deal minus virus" 7 years later "Welcome to Windows Vienna" .. repeat.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 06:13:33 pm »
A flashing taskbar is a great idea and it's more than enough.
I wish I could turn *that* off even.  REALLY annoying.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 06:33:34 pm »
I don't know of a better approach to notification. Tooltips/That seem to be a good combo. *shrug*