Author Topic: New piracy laws  (Read 3861 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
New piracy laws
« on: April 26, 2006, 02:49:44 pm »
.. Because apparently, pirating music and software funds terrorism.  And when somebody in government uses that "T" word, they can make any laws they want. 

read

During a speech in November, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales endorsed the idea and said at the time that he would send Congress draft legislation. Such changes are necessary because new technology is "encouraging large-scale criminal enterprises to get involved in intellectual-property theft," Gonzales said, adding that proceeds from the illicit businesses are used, "quite frankly, to fund terrorism activities."

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: New piracy laws
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 03:18:36 pm »
Honestly, I think that this is much too far-reaching to ever be passed.  But... that doesn't stop me from writing my congressmen!
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 05:40:58 pm »
....it supports China, don't they support Iran?
Pirate > China > Iran >TERROR! BOO! SCARY!

Possible, but far fetched, but possible

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 06:49:41 pm »
Piracy doesn't directly help China, and China doesn't directly help Iran.  Iran also does not directly help terrorists.  So....very farfetched.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 07:03:29 pm »
Boosts criminal penalties for copyright infringement originally created by the No Electronic Theft Act of 1997 from five years to 10 years (and 10 years to 20 years for subsequent offenses). The NET Act targets noncommercial piracy including posting copyrighted photos, videos or news articles on a Web site if the value exceeds $1,000.

10 and 20 freakin' years for piracy? Jesus CHRIST.

Well, see you guys in Hell. ;)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 07:38:25 pm »
I don't care much about the laws, I just hate people who say "terrorists" and expect everybody to accept everything they say.  Kinda like the opposite of "fnord"

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 12:04:21 am »
Terrorist.  Vote for me as a x86 leader!  Woo!
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 01:14:14 am »
.. Because apparently, pirating music and software funds terrorism.  And when somebody in government uses that "T" word, they can make any laws they want. 

read

During a speech in November, Attorney General Alberto Gonzales endorsed the idea and said at the time that he would send Congress draft legislation. Such changes are necessary because new technology is "encouraging large-scale criminal enterprises to get involved in intellectual-property theft," Gonzales said, adding that proceeds from the illicit businesses are used, "quite frankly, to fund terrorism activities."

There are different levels of terrorism and such so he is probably correct when he states that it funds terrorism. Piracy is a lot like illegal drugs in that the people making the money off it aren't exactly the most noble people. So its natural to say that its going to fund criminal activites and can probably be directly linked if someone cared to do the research.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 01:19:32 am »
I'm sorry but WHO THE FUCK IS MAKING MONEY OFF OF FREE-DOWNLOADS? TYou want to know who makes the most money off drugs? According the CIA world fact book, Colombia does with cocaine and opium (herion) exports (80%), Osama Bin Laden, one the most prominent figures in terroism, and the reason why 9/11 happend, does not make money off of drugs: in 2005 it was reported that in 2001 Bin Laden went to the drug lords of Colombia to try to spike the USA's cocaine supply with poisin but was turned down so they could keep thier fan base. So what does that mean? If Bin Laden made money with his group of terroists by selling drugs, he could have spiked his own supply himself, but since Colombia owns the drug market - terroists don't - this has been proven.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 01:25:35 am by GameSnake »

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 01:28:47 am »
I'm sorry but WHO THE FUCK IS MAKING MONEY OFF OF FREE-DOWNLOADS? TYou want to know who makes the most money off drugs? According the CIA world fact book, Colombia does with cocaine and opium (herion) exports (80%), Osama Bin Laden, one the most prominent figures in terroism, and the reason why 9/11 happend, does not make money off of drugs: in 2005 it was reported that in 2001 Bin Laden went to the drug lords of Colombia to try to spike the USA's cocaine supply with poisin but was turned down so they could keep thier fan base. So what does that mean? If Bin Laden made money with his group of terroists by selling drugs, he could have spiked his own supply himself, but since Colombia owns the drug market - terroists don't - this has been proven.

When they refer to piracy I'm quite sure they are talking about the people who are selling the software. Look in your spam folder sometime for all the software offers at 50-90% "discounts" and you will see what I mean.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2006, 01:30:47 am »

When they refer to piracy I'm quite sure they are talking about the people who are selling the software. Look in your spam folder sometime for all the software offers at 50-90% "discounts" and you will see what I mean.
Those things actually make MONEY, let alone support terroism?! Wheres the proof?!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 01:56:36 am »
0.0001% of people are suckers.  They send out 100,000,000 spam emails, and can potentially make about $100 of each sucker.  0.0001 * 100,000,000 * 100 = $1,000,000.  A million dollars for doing nothing.  Hm!

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 03:03:09 am »
0.0001% of people are suckers.  They send out 100,000,000 spam emails, and can potentially make about $100 of each sucker.  0.0001 * 100,000,000 * 100 = $1,000,000.  A million dollars for doing nothing.  Hm!
Yes, there is money off of spam, that's obvious, but how does this money support terroism? -- This is not "piracy" money: piracy is illegaly downloading for free what you should pay for to download, and again who makes money off of free downloads? No one does! My point is that spam is different then piracy, two different concepts.

I am not arguing with you btw, I just find it silly that terroism is a blanket excuse for tougher laws; to quote Benjaman Franklin: "those who would give up essential liberty for security deserves niether".
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 03:09:01 am by GameSnake »