Author Topic: Azureus going commercial?  (Read 5214 times)

Offline wires

• Pwnage
  • x86
  • cocaine is fun!
    • View Profile
    • Weapon Of Mass Destruction
Re: Azureus going commercial?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 05:55:49 pm »
Too bad Azureus sucks.  <3 uTorrent. XD

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 06:07:07 pm »
What kind of question is that? ... :P
You know full well what I'm talking about. -.-

What's different about reporting to a source if/when you click an ad?  As long as it's not spying on what you're doing--unless it concerns that ad--I don't see anything wrong with it.  It seems to be exactly what I've already stated to me: a hit counter.
Because you don't know what else a program is sending information about.  I don't run a packet logger on myself constantly.  I shouldn't have to worry about what a program is potentially sending information about.  If it's just sending user counts, I'm fine with that.  More than likely (and this is just being based off of every other program that does this) it will send other information, like IP address and whatnot.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 07:18:45 pm »
Because you don't know what else a program is sending information about.
Call me paranoid for saying this but a hit counter can find out a good deal about you. It can find your IP address easily, which can be reverse-resolved to a domain name which usually obviously states your ISP. Then you can look them up to see where they are centered at if they are a smaller company. From there, you can record who is viewing your site by a per-IP basis, or a per-ISP basis. Paranoid yet?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2006, 08:16:01 pm »
Call me paranoid for saying this but a hit counter can find out a good deal about you. It can find your IP address easily, which can be reverse-resolved to a domain name which usually obviously states your ISP.

Anyone who understands the internet in decent detail knows this.  It's intuitively obvious.

Then you can look them up to see where they are centered at if they are a smaller company. From there, you can record who is viewing your site by a per-IP basis, or a per-ISP basis.

It doesn't really bother me.  I'd be interested to find someone who wants to stalk people by doing reverse lookups on IP addresses harvested by a hit counter.  It's a risk I take every time I vist an unknown website... I don't really care.

Paranoid yet?

No.  I don't really care.  I could put a GD generated image in my signature that collects IP addresses.  It's just part of the internet.