Author Topic: Government Taps Almost Every Phone in the USA  (Read 10702 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Government Taps Almost Every Phone in the USA
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2006, 05:08:26 pm »
I know I have nothing to be afraid of, but we've always been a country that is big on freedom, we're not very free if the government has an ever watchful eye on us.  Instead, we should have ever watchful eyes on them, but we don't.
I spose "oh well", I don't *THINK* its likely that 'd be had by some terrorism thing.....but look @ the Red Scare, we could have a new one aided by phone lists.

Who said anything about a jury?...as I recall the Red Scare had no juries & ruined alot of careers, didn't it?

As far as MySpace hiring, I've heard (I think from someone here) that people Google emails & name, they dig up as much dirt as the internet can dish out on you

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2006, 05:38:40 pm »
by contrast Clinton had used this "legal nuclear bomb" half a dozen times.
Yeah, and look where it got us.  He bombed civilian structures in Serbia, and a recessing economy.

25 million people are not terroists. It's the fact that congress isnt looking into this for us, and the media is that makes us mad.
Do you mean 250 million people?  If not, I don't understand what you're saying.

Of course, I'm not worried when they look at my international call list, or even my domestic call list.  Know why?  I'm not a terrorist.

I just want to know: what are you afraid of them knowing by looking at your call list?  Hehe, snort snort, this guy called for phone sex 28 times.  That was after he ordered the fleshlight.  What a fucking loser.  Hehehe, snort snort

No. This is everyone.
The AT&T thing is new.  MetaL did NOT link to the AT&T thing, he linked to the NSA tapping thing that I described in my post.

I saw a poll on ... the news, CNN or something, today that said 65% of Americans accept the phone tapping/call database and 35% don't like it :(

WTF people, come on, this is getting down right scary.
The one and only problem I could see this being for is if politicians in power (or politically-motivated bureaucrats) use the program to damage political opponents.  Uncool.

As it turns out, on a related note, a friend of mine who works for a major bank chain says she uses Myspace during the hiring process to determine whether to hire someone.

As far as I can tell, they're building a who-calls-who network.  That way, if your friend talks to terrorists, they can pull you in too.  That's probably not true, but eh?
That idea would probably not go anywhere.  No American jury would convict someone because he talked to someone who talked to a terrorist.  Now, if he talked to someone who talked to a terrorist, and then blew shit up, probably all three could be implicated.

On the side note, as I linked to GS's post above (about the Fleshlight (different post)), I would just like to point out that it's not entirely difficult to resolve an internet handle (particularly one like mine, which has historically been associated with my real-name email address), and have talked about people's real names, that shit you say on the internet that is persistent is FAR more dangerous than what you say on the phone, since the internet is public domain and easily-accessible.

It began by tapping those already suspected of terrorism.  It then lead to the monitoring of all call logs to determine those worthy of becoming known as a suspected terrorist.  Where will they go from here?  Once you get your foot in the door, it's not that difficult to push it open.  It's been proven in the past that such endevures lead to many negative results.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2006, 05:55:58 pm »
Specific records can be subpeona'ed, and I think they have to be kept for a certain amount of time.  However, taking and correlating all records is beyond that. 

Oh.  *shrugs*  I don't mind much.  I know it's taking one of the basic freedoms, but it doesn't really effect me.

I'm still against it, but oh well.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 06:25:20 pm »
Fuck. I need to change my ISP and my phone provider x_x.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2006, 06:46:34 pm »
Specific records can be subpeona'ed, and I think they have to be kept for a certain amount of time.  However, taking and correlating all records is beyond that. 

Oh.  *shrugs*  I don't mind much.  I know it's taking one of the basic freedoms, but it doesn't really effect me.

I'm still against it, but oh well.
Why don't you mind much? I would stand up and say something rather than say "this is bad, but I don't care"!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2006, 07:07:21 pm »
Why don't you mind much? I would stand up and say something rather than say "this is bad, but I don't care"!

That's clearly because you do care.  I don't care enough to resist.  If further violations of rights are made (ones that I care about), maybe that'll change.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2006, 07:13:01 pm »

That's clearly because you do care.  I don't care enough to resist.  If further violations of rights are made (ones that I care about), maybe that'll change.
ooooh....oooooh!

quote related thing...

uhm, something about "If you dont stand up for the little ones then who will stand up for you?"
If you dont stand up for your rights then they're just going to keep taking more & more until we have to have a mass revolte

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2006, 12:48:46 pm »
Yeah, this is new.  They're tracking everybody.  But not the content of the calls, only the source/destination. 

As far as I can tell, they're building a who-calls-who network.  That way, if your friend talks to terrorists, they can pull you in too.  That's probably not true, but eh?

First there seems to be a misconception that the government is forcing anything. The government is simply the one building the database. The phone companies are the ones willingly handing over the information. So it might be wiser to look more closely at the phone companies and their privacy policies, etc. than at the government which is simply processing available information.

Also I feel safe, Qwest is the only phone company that didn't turn over records. Yay!
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Eric

• I'm new here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2006, 02:39:47 pm »
I blame AT&T about as much as I'd blame any other company (Google, for example) for doing the same.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2006, 02:44:17 pm by Lord[nK] »

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 12:32:35 am »
Of course, I'm not worried when they look at my international call list, or even my domestic call list.  Know why?  I'm not a terrorist.

I just want to know: what are you afraid of them knowing by looking at your call list?  Hehe, snort snort, this guy called for phone sex 28 times.  That was after he ordered the fleshlight.  What a fucking loser.  Hehehe, snort snort
Just like Ben Franklin said, if you sacrifice a little freedom for a little security, you deseve niether and lose both. What this is saying is that if you slowly sacrifice your freedom for security, it's going to get out of control, just like this did. There is nothing in the constitution that gives Bush, or ANYONE the right to do this. If they walk over the constitution now, they'll be able to walk over it more later. The American people are also purely responsible for this. It's up to us to control our government. Too bad the majority of America is too ignorant to realize what's really happening.
No. This is everyone.
The AT&T thing is new.  MetaL did NOT link to the AT&T thing, he linked to the NSA tapping thing that I described in my post.
Sorry, I accidently posted the wrong article. No need to be so hostile towards me though, like you were in your first post.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 12:34:26 am by MetaL MilitiA »
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 12:34:58 am »
Just like Ben Franklin said, if you sacrifice a little freedom for a little security, you deseve niether and lose both. What this is saying is that if you slowly sacrifice your freedom for security, it's going to get out of control, just like this did. There is nothing in the constitution that gives Bush, or ANYONE the right to do this. If they walk over the constitution now, they'll be able to walk over it more later. The American people are also purely responsible for this. It's up to us to control our government. Too bad the majority of America is too ignorant to realize what's really happening.

As my history teacher said, challenge authority. When it gets out of hand, fix it.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 08:11:33 am »
I blame AT&T about as much as I'd blame any other company (Google, for example) for doing the same.
Google took it to court and tried (successfully? unsuccessfully? I haven't heard anything...)

As my history teacher said, challenge authority. When it gets out of hand, fix it.
That's what your country is based on, so that's definitely the truth. 

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2006, 08:33:07 am »
Well, there's some good and bad news to come out of this. Bad: The anti-Christ is here. Good: His three and a half years of rise have come, and his three and a half years of havoc are almost over. Then the world ends..
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2006, 09:48:40 am »
Joe, shutup. This thread is for serious discussion.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2006, 10:38:25 am »
Google took it to court and tried (successfully? unsuccessfully? I haven't heard anything...)
I think Google won.

However,Google still gave in to China.