Author Topic: Senior Quotes!  (Read 7711 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Senior Quotes!
« on: May 12, 2006, 03:45:35 pm »
I know we have a few graduating seniors here.  What have you chosen for your quotes?

Here are mine:

If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.
  -- Isaac Newton

I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not.
  -- Anonymous (Or someone I don't know; I got it from Mythix a while ago)

A fool is he who replaces the lust for knowledge with the illusion of knowledge.
  -- Me!

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Senior Quotes!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 04:10:08 pm »
Quote from: me
After standing in the sun for an hour waiting to go into the building, then sitting with 8700 other students for two hours to get our diploma covers as our names were called, and then standing outside in the sun some more...  I smell repulsive.

;)  I have a really profound one, but I need to think about it (I can't remember offhand).
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 04:14:11 pm »
After standing in the sun for an hour waiting to go into the building, then sitting with 8700 other students for two hours to get our diploma covers as our names were called, and then standing outside in the sun some more...  I smell repulsive.

;)  I have a really profound one, but I need to think about it (I can't remember offhand).

Impressive!

My graduating class is um... 40 some.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 04:23:17 pm »

Impressive!

My graduating class is um... 40 some.

Psshh, that was just the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.  We're the biggest academic unit at the university, but I would still guess there were about 15,000 students in my class.  The booklet about this class was about 150 pages.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 04:58:57 pm »
If I were to graduate now, I would use the quote in my profile.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 05:03:51 pm »
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 05:30:54 pm »
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.

That's why you're not graduating this year.  :P

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 05:53:56 pm »
If we had senior quotes here, mine would be:

"Friends come and go. What we learn, though, is with us forever."

"Don't try to be a great man.  Just be a man and let history be the judge."

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over just sitting there."
errr... something like that...

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2006, 06:06:29 pm »
On my senior page (in the yearbook), I put:
"But I don't want to be dead, I want to be alive.........or a cowboy." - Michael J. Caboose

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 06:15:12 pm »
Using serious quotes for your senior quote is boring. I'm pretty sure mine is going to be "Ambience is metal!" unless anything better comes along. One of the inside joke kind of things, but oh so funny to us. All three of us who will get it at least.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 06:19:59 pm »
If we had senior quotes here, mine would be:

"Friends come and go. What we learn, though, is with us forever."

"Don't try to be a great man.  Just be a man and let history be the judge."

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over just sitting there."

Good ones.

On my senior page (in the yearbook), I put:
"But I don't want to be dead, I want to be alive.........or a cowboy." - Michael J. Caboose

Now that's profound!

Using serious quotes for your senior quote is boring. I'm pretty sure mine is going to be "Ambience is metal!" unless anything better comes along. One of the inside joke kind of things, but oh so funny to us. All three of us who will get it at least.

Since boredom generally entails normality, I don't understand how using serious quotes is "boring."  At my school, almost all of the people are frantically searching for something to make themselves look humorous.  Personally, I think using silly quotes is pointless.  What does it show?  That you have a sense of humor?  That'll bring about success for sure!  I'd rather portray wisdom.  Sorry.

Also, what's the sense in using an inside joke?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 06:24:56 pm by Sidoh »

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 06:37:58 pm »
Since boredom generally entails normality, I don't understand how using serious quotes is "boring."  At my school, almost all of the people are frantically searching for something to make themselves look humorous.  Personally, I think using silly quotes is pointless.  What does it show?  That you have a sense of humor?  That'll bring about success for sure!  I'd rather portray wisdom.  Sorry.

Also, what's the sense in using an inside joke?
Well, I hate quotes in general. I hate people that plaster quotes all over the place. I hate people who use them in conversations. Reading a book or article on someones ideas is one thing, but I'm not particularly interested in some random thing that some guy said at some point in his life, no matter how "profound" or "deep" it is. It's going to be in your yearbook, something you generally look back on when you're older. I want it to be something that's going to bring back good memories, something personal. Not some textbook idealistic quote of some dead guy that sounds cool but doesn't mean anything if you actually think about it.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 07:23:00 pm »
Well, I hate quotes in general. I hate people that plaster quotes all over the place. I hate people who use them in conversations. Reading a book or article on someones ideas is one thing, but I'm not particularly interested in some random thing that some guy said at some point in his life, no matter how "profound" or "deep" it is.

Unfortunately, this entire argument is wholly subjective.

Why?  People who effectively use quotes in conversations are using them because they closely relate to the subject at hand.  I don't understand what's wrong with using thetm.

It's going to be in your yearbook, something you generally look back on when you're older. I want it to be something that's going to bring back good memories, something personal. Not some textbook idealistic quote of some dead guy that sounds cool but doesn't mean anything if you actually think about it.

I created one of my quotes; I don't see how it will fail to bring back memories.  Since I am a self-proclaimed nerd, I chose nerdy quotes.  I think they accurately represent my personality and philosophies.

If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

I chose this one because I have learned much of what I know about networking, math, physics, biology and various other subjects from the two greatest teachers I've ever had.  It seems very appropriate that I give them thanks for what they've given me.  That means a lot more than "nothing" to me, especially when I think about it.

I would rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not.

I chose this quote because it accurately represents how I react to what people expect of me.  If I disagree with their expectations, I won't follow through with them for their approval.  This quote means much to me.

A fool is he who replaces the lust for knowledge with the illusion of knowledge.

This is the quote I created.  I chose it because I hate people who act like they're knowledgeable on the said subject, but actually lack huge areas of competence.

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 07:25:35 pm »
I think i used something like
"Sit on a hot stove for 5 seconds and it feels like 10 minutes, Sit next to a pretty girl for 10 minutes and it feels like 5 seconds.  That is relativity" -Einstien

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2006, 07:28:28 pm »
We didnt get special quotes, only the ultra ... word I cant think of ... kids got a profile of themselves in the book.  Most of thosee kids also got LyonsClub Rotarian or something, some special whoopty do where they get ... I dont even remember.  Or they get w/e award for their ACT scores.

But not me who had better attendance, higher ACT scores, more activities, slightly lower GPA but ALOT harder classes....pfft </hostility>

EDIT:
OOH!  I found my blood quote
Quote from: Thomas Jefferson
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Quote from: Thomas Jefferson
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
Quote from: Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Bring them on.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 07:43:27 pm by CrAz3D »