Author Topic: CS 1.6 crashing problem  (Read 6414 times)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
CS 1.6 crashing problem
« on: May 25, 2006, 10:00:10 pm »
I know a lot of you play CS 1.6, so, I'm hoping for a solution to my problem.

Whenever I go into a server and after it's done precaching resources, CS crashes with looping sounds, leaving no error message.

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=150&p_created=1093320749&p_sid=HBzzoq8i&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9NTAmcF9wcm9kcz00JnBfY2F0cz02MSw5OCZwX3B2PTEuNDsyLnUwJnBfY3Y9Mi45OCZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1
I tried everything listed in that link. Nothing seems to work.

I'm not sure if this would help but, when I had Windows 2000, CS worked flawlessly, however, when I used Windows XP, then the game began to crash.

I was going to post a thread on their forums, but the registration process is a pain in the ass. Google was also no help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
Re: CS 1.6 crashing problem
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:16:44 pm »
have you recently cleared your disk space if not do it
1. go start
2. programs
3. accesories
4. system tools
5. disk clean up

if that doesnt do it i dont know what will

or try to reinstalll it

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 10:23:03 pm »
Well, uh, I recommend reinstalling the game, and checking folder/file permissions (though it seems to be a problem with the OS installation configuration most likely) and if all else fails reinstall Windows.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 10:30:52 pm »
Well, uh, I recommend reinstalling the game, and checking folder/file permissions (though it seems to be a problem with the OS installation configuration most likely) and if all else fails reinstall Windows.

if you reinstall windows just reformat your computer

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 10:07:14 am »
have you recently cleared your disk space if not do it
1. go start
2. programs
3. accesories
4. system tools
5. disk clean up

if that doesnt do it i dont know what will

or try to reinstalll it

I reinstalled many times.

Yeah, it's something with the OS installation. Boo.

But... I did a little more reseach and the root of the problem is SP2 and my sound card.

The solution is to remove SP2.

I found myself here: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/875350

None of the solutions work.. SP2 doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs [the other updates, do].

Use the hidden $NtServicePackUninstall$ folder

That folder isn't in my WINDOWS folder..

I think it's because I didn't install SP2 like most people, by getting an update from Windows Update. When I installed XP, the CD install SP2.

Any suggestions?