Author Topic: Some interesting questions  (Read 8162 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Some interesting questions
« on: May 18, 2006, 05:57:01 pm »
These are a few situations my boss presented me with.  I thought they were really neat questions, so I thought I'd post them here.  Note that they're hypothetical situations, so physical implications and restraints should be ignored.

You are given two rubber disks about 3' in diameter.  They behave exactly like ordinary rubber disks, except when laid flat, they behave like teleporters.  If you place an object that fits over a disk onto its surface, it will immediately appear on the other disk.  With these disks, what can you do to make the most money?  The best good for society?

You are given a "bottomless bag."  The bag has an opening of about 3' in diameter.  Anything placed into the bag will not increase the apparent weight, but can be extracted in a similar fashion.  What can you do with this bag to make the most money?  The best good for society?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Some interesting questions
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 06:03:48 pm »
For the teleporters...I might stick one of the pads on the other one...just to see where it would go, if anywhere.

Bottomless bag, hmm, maybe poor clean water out of it forever?

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 06:47:58 pm »
You'd have to put in all that water first.

I'd patent the transporter pads and send them off to Area 51 for reverse engineering.

Same for that bag.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 06:50:58 pm »
I'd pack Africa into the bag and blow it up.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline igimo1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:54:46 pm »
1. I'd begin building a perpetual motion machine

2. Turn it into a trashbag for my room.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:57:00 pm »
You'd have to put in all that water first.

I'd patent the transporter pads and send them off to Area 51 for reverse engineering.

Same for that bag.

Hehe, my friend's answer was similar to that.  He said he'd sell it to the military.

Filling the bag with water would be pretty easy.  All you have to do is take it to the bottom of a lake.

1. I'd begin building a perpetual motion machine

2. Turn it into a trashbag for my room.

Good answers.  Do you have a proposed general engineering idea for the first?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 06:57:50 pm »
If I had a Bag of Holding (like #2), I'd leave it at the bottom of the ocean. When the world eventually ran out of water, I'd go retrieve and and start selling water to people/countries at an extremely high price. 

For #1, stand by, I need to find a quote then edit it in here. 

<edit>

Ok, for #1 I'd build a bathroom over it.  Then I'd stash the other one somewhere safe. 

Both that idea, and the thing about a perpetual motion machine, relate back to, of course, Pratchett:

'One opened up in one of the cellars once, all by itself,' said the Dean. 'Just a round black hole. Anything you put in it just disappeared. So old Archchancellor Weatherwax had a privy built over it.'
'Very sensible idea,' said Ridcully, still looking thoughtful.
'We thought so too, until we found the other one that had opened in the attic. Turned out to be the other side of the same hole. I'm sure I don't need to draw you a picture.'
'I've never heard of these!' said Ponder Stibbons. The possibilities are amazing!'
'Everyone says that when they first hear about them,' said the Senior Wrangler. 'But when you've been a wizard as long as I have, my boy, you'll learn that as soon as you find anything that offers amazing possibilities for the improvement of the human condition it's best to put the lid back on and pretend it never happened.'
'But if you could get one to open above another you could drop something through the bottom hole and it'd come out of the top hole and fall through the bottom hole again . . . It'd reach meteoritic speed and the amount of power you could generate would be---'
'That's pretty much what happened between the attic and the cellar,' said the Dean, taking a cold chicken leg. 'Thank goodness for air friction, that's all I'll say.'

Anyway, I'd put the bottom one over the top, separated by a coil of wires, sealed tight.  Inside, I'd suck out the air (to get rid of air friction).  Then I'd drop a magnet in the middle, so that when it came out the top it would fall through the coil and go back to the bottom.  Bam, infinite power source until the magnet wears out.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 07:02:54 pm by iago »

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 07:02:50 pm »
If I had a Bag of Holding (like #2), I'd leave it at the bottom of the ocean. When the world eventually ran out of water, I'd go retrieve and and start selling water to people/countries at an extremely high price. 

Haha, that's a good idea.  However, wouldn't that have extremely harsh effects on the environment and climate?

/salute

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 07:53:07 pm »

Haha, that's a good idea.  However, wouldn't that have extremely harsh effects on the environment and climate?
Yeah, but I'd be rich so who cares?

/salute
Read time!

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 07:57:29 pm »
Yeah, but I'd be rich so who cares?

Yeah, true.  You could buy an environmental bubble!

Read time!

;D

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 07:58:12 pm »
Quote from: iagos book stuff
'But if you could get one to open above another you could drop something through the bottom hole and it'd come out of the top hole and fall through the bottom hole again . . . It'd reach meteoritic speed and the amount of power you could generate would be---'

Wouldn't it only fall at 64 fps 'cause it's still be within earth's gravitational pull and the exit hole doesn't like, boost it, or something? Am I just wrong?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 08:08:22 pm »

Wouldn't it only fall at 64 fps 'cause it's still be within earth's gravitational pull and the exit hole doesn't like, boost it, or something? Am I just wrong?
I didn't know that stuff fell at framed per second.  :P

It's true, it would reach terminal velocity.  But meteors also reach terminal velocity, so meteoritic speed would be ok.  Although in the electrical generator that I proposed afterwards, I specifically said that it would be a vacuum inside, which means there's no air to create friction. 

Does it actually say "meteoritic" speed?  I copied/pasted from an e-version of The Last Continent, it'd be funny if it actually had that misspelling in it. 

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 08:12:49 pm »

I didn't know that stuff fell at framed per second.  :P

It's true, it would reach terminal velocity.  But meteors also reach terminal velocity, so meteoritic speed would be ok.  Although in the electrical generator that I proposed afterwards, I specifically said that it would be a vacuum inside, which means there's no air to create friction. 

Does it actually say "meteoritic" speed?  I copied/pasted from an e-version of The Last Continent, it'd be funny if it actually had that misspelling in it. 

Oh, I see. I guess that I was thinking a metior's terminal velocity would be a lot faster than a dimes, or something 'cause of it being sort of propelled by gravitational pulls and it being in space. Sorry. :'(

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 08:22:32 pm »

Acceleration due to gravity is approximately 32 ft/s^2.  It's undergoing a constant force due to gravity.  That means every second an object is in freefall, it is going 32 feet per second faster than it was the second before (kind of.  air friction will lessen that, but if it is ignored, this is about true).

This acceleration is true only close to the Earth's surface.  True [classical] gravitational potential energy is calculated by Newton's famous (-(GMm)/r).

Terminal velocity is relative to the apparent horizontal surface are of the referenced object.  A dime has a different terminal velocity than a meteor, but they both undergo the same acceleration.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 08:26:23 pm »

Acceleration due to gravity is approximately 32 ft/s^2.  It's undergoing a constant force due to gravity.  That means every second an object is in freefall, it is going 32 feet per second faster than it was the second before (kind of.  air friction will lessen that, but if it is ignored, this is about true).

This acceleration is true only close to the Earth's surface.  True [classical] gravitational potential energy is calculated by Newton's famous (-(GMm)/r).

Terminal velocity is relative to the apparent horizontal surface are of the referenced object.  A dime has a different terminal velocity than a meteor, but they both undergo the same acceleration.
Oh I see.
 <33 Thank you, Sidoh. :")