Author Topic: Dude gives a REAL graduation speech  (Read 10070 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Dude gives a REAL graduation speech
« on: May 24, 2006, 02:11:20 pm »
http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060524/NEWS/605240305

Wow, I wanted to do something like that when I graduated, or maybe just say "You don't want to here this sappy crap, lets get this oever with"
...I like this guy's version more.  Said how highschool really was...it wasn't a great 4 year of jack, it was 4 years of jackshit

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
Re: Dude gives a REAL graduation speech
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 02:31:29 pm »
Seems disrespectfull to do that to the school who gave you your stepping stone in life, but hey if you went thru 4 years of high school than you deserve to speak your mind about your experiances.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 02:32:57 pm »
Seems disrespectfull to do that to the school who gave you your stepping stone in life
Oh so wait, it's disrespectful to do that to the school, but it's not disrespectful to say what you say about the President?

I'm just checking.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 02:35:53 pm »
Seems disrespectfull to do that to the school who gave you your stepping stone in life
Oh so wait, it's disrespectful to do that to the school, but it's not disrespectful to say what you say about the President?

I'm just checking.
Gotta love that whole "Freedom of Speech" thing.
edit: Wondering what the president has to do with this ???

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 02:36:48 pm »

Oh, so I see, it's disrespectful to tell the hard truth about something, but it's a "freedom of speech" issue when you slander the President.

Right?  I'm just making sure I understand.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 02:39:20 pm »

Oh, so I see, it's disrespectful to tell the hard truth about something, but it's a "freedom of speech" issue when you slander the President.

Right?  I'm just making sure I understand.
What does the president have to do with this?  Just so you understand: the student's rights at the graduation and my rights (freedom of speech) as a voter are slightly different.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 02:43:24 pm by GameSnake »

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 02:47:10 pm »
What does the president have to do with this?  Just so you understand: the student's rights at the graduation and my rights (freedom of speech) as a voter are slightly different.
Well, I've seen potentially contradictory (to what you've said) behavior from you, and so I'm just trying to understand, you know, where you're coming from in terms of what's ethical.

I've seen you speak negatively about the President, so I was using him as an example.

By the way, freedom of speech rights are yours whether or not you vote.

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 04:08:04 pm »
Seems disrespectfull to do that to the school who gave you your stepping stone in life, but hey if you went thru 4 years of high school than you deserve to speak your mind about your experiances.

Well we can tell you missed that stone...
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 06:06:40 pm »

Well we can tell you missed that stone...
ba doomp, tshhh

Yeah, it wasnt cool for the dude to lie to that teacher...but he had to do it to make sure that what he realy felt was heard.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 06:11:04 pm »
Yeah, it wasnt cool for the dude to lie to that teacher...but he had to do it to make sure that what he realy felt was heard.
If anyone at my school tried changing his/her speech, the school would shut the microphones off. 
errr... something like that...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 06:44:38 pm »
If anyone at my school tried changing his/her speech, the school would shut the microphones off. 
Thats what I was thinkin too, but maybe they were just like "who gives a crap, its true, let the dude speak his mind so we can get the hell outta this damn place:

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 06:47:51 pm »
Thats what I was thinkin too, but maybe they were just like "who gives a crap, its true, let the dude speak his mind so we can get the hell outta this damn place:

The school he attends is run almost purely by mormons.  Mormons don't have logic; they have morals.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 06:54:55 pm »
Well, I've seen potentially contradictory (to what you've said) behavior from you, and so I'm just trying to understand, you know, where you're coming from in terms of what's ethical.

I've seen you speak negatively about the President, so I was using him as an example.

By the way, freedom of speech rights are yours whether or not you vote.
School is a personal choice.  I don't have to finish highschool, and if I have a problem with my highschool then I can make a personal choice to change it.  Additionally, there's only a few hundred people in a school, so it's a lot more personal.  If I said bad things about my University, it's a drop in the bucket, but if I say bad things about my school it's more meaningful. 

On the other hand, if I live in a country with an evil president (I'm not saying that Bush is evil, I'm using this as an example) and I don't like it, I haven't got a lot of choice.  I can vote for somebody else, and I might be able to leave the country, but the options are extremely limited. 

Thus, I think that speaking out against the president (not necessarily slander, as you said) is different than speaking out against the school. 

I do think that both forms fall under freedom of speech, and thus I do condone both.  However, I agree that speaking out against your school is disrespectful towards it, and it's not appropriate.  Speaking out against your president is also disrespectful towards him, but if he is evil or bad then he deserves it.

Are you using the word "slander" because it's emotionally loaded, or because it's the appropriate word?  I doubt that GameSnake orally said to you any false claims about the president in order to damage his (the president's) reputation, so I'm guessing you used it because it's emotionally loaded.  In general, words like "slander" should be avoided unless that's really the situation.  The main point of "slander" is that it's oral, if you want to talk about written falsehoods designed to damage somebody's reputation then you're looking for the word "libel".  Of course, "libel" isn't as emotionally loaded, so...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 06:56:45 pm by iago »

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 07:15:27 pm »
The school he attends is run almost purely by mormons.  Mormons don't have logic; they have morals.

This is so true.  They also have an overwhelming sense of pity for incompetent people.  Seriously, a person would have to work his ass off in my school to fail because the school system has gradually been compromising more and more with parents with the not-so-bright children. 

I don't understand why everyone is entitled to graduate.  If a person does not do what is required, why is he graduating?  Too many teachers have added 'participation points' for it to be possible to fail.  As long as a person shows up and holds the desk to the ground, he'll pass that class.

The worst part is that nothing will change until the religions in my town step away from the school system and realize they aren't doing the students any favors.  I am confident this will happen right after the Jewish convert.
errr... something like that...

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 08:04:09 pm »
Are you using the word "slander" because it's emotionally loaded, or because it's the appropriate word?
Slander is lying about someone by word of mouth.  Gamesnake has done so.  It's the appropriate word.