Author Topic: Help :)!  (Read 3083 times)

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
Help :)!
« on: May 27, 2006, 02:09:15 pm »
Well.... I seem to ask a lot of questions here. Take it as a complement because you guys are oh so smart.

Anyways... I was being a retard and broke my XP installation (doesn't boot). After that, I installed 2000 so I could retrieve my personal files and move them to my 2000 installation and delete the XP installation. If that worked I wouldn't be here with the topic title of "HELP :)!" right?

My personal files are located on the Desktop and I am able to access C:\ (XP installation) and go anywhere I want except Documents and Settings where my personal files are. It says "Access is denied."

Suggestions?

Thank you. :).

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Re: Help :)!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 02:14:24 pm »
You have to change the permissions so that your current account is the owner of them. Otherwise you can't get in.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 02:59:39 pm »
Yeah, I realize this. But how do I do it? I tried everything... atleast that I knew..

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 03:29:21 pm »
Yeah, I realize this. But how do I do it? I tried everything... atleast that I knew..

I have not had to do it for over a year, but uhh, good luck is all I have to say. Once you find it it's pretty easy.

You need simple file permissions disabled IIRC.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 03:51:38 pm »
I believe you'll need to take ownership of the files in order to do anything to them.

As Newby has already said, you'll need to disable simple file permissions, which is accessable from the "Folder Options" menu in My Computer -> Tools.

After this is done, you'll need to make sure you're logged onto the administrator account.  right click on the directory you want to change, go to properties and click on the "Security" tab.  Then click on the "Advanced" button toward the bottom of the window.  Click on the "Owner" tab, select your account on the local machine, check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" checkbox and click "Apply."  This may take a while to complete.

After it's finished, click on the "Permissions" tab, click on the "Add" button, add your local account to the list, uncheck the first box ("Inherit from parent the permission entires that apply to child objects.  Include these with entries explicity defined here.") and check the second box ("Replace permission entries on all child objects with entires shown here that apply to child objects.").  Again click "Apply."  It could take a while, but once it's done, you should have access!

I think I wrote a word document (complete with screenshots) on this very subject for a kid at school who had a similar problem.  I'll see if I can dig it up.

Offline skip

• mmk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 07:10:43 pm »
YAY! Got it!

Thank you very much, Sidoh.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh