Author Topic: Newby drives like a woman! An Asian one!  (Read 23263 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Newby drives like a woman! An Asian one!
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 07:55:12 pm »
It's not that simple.  You have to press the clutch and the gas a bit then shift into first and release the clutch and increase the gas, or something.  But it gets easier when you do it a few times. 

You must have missed my post about Tory and I's trip to Madison. To popstart a car, clutch push shift unclutch and tap the gas. It didn't work, but eh?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2006, 01:45:46 pm »
...I think more people need to learn how to drive a stick...that way when those that drive a stick car are too drunk to drive someone can drive the car.

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2006, 01:52:39 pm »
It's not that simple.  You have to press the clutch and the gas a bit then shift into first and release the clutch and increase the gas, or something.  But it gets easier when you do it a few times. 

You must have missed my post about Tory and I's trip to Madison. To popstart a car, clutch push shift unclutch and tap the gas. It didn't work, but eh?
The car needs to be in gear and going >5 mph. Otherwise the tires lock up and it doesn't compress the gas.

I learned on a manual, and have been driving one since I was 13.  I prefer them over automatics because automatics have this nasty habit of shifting badly, that alone makes me ever want to drive them. Not to mention; manuals have the ability to get better gas miliage.

[Edit] Also, after like a week it's all second nature.  You can stop for monthes then start again, and you still shift perfectaly.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2006, 02:12:08 pm »
manuals can get better & worse.................yay for cars with POWA!

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2006, 02:22:00 pm »
Yeah, It's all depending on how you drive. If you're always redlining and reving the motor, you get not-so-good mpg. Samething with automatics, though.

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2006, 11:18:03 pm »
Most people I know that get manuals get them because they are cheaper.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2006, 12:19:37 am »
Yeah, It's all depending on how you drive. If you're always redlining and reving the motor, you get not-so-good mpg. Samething with automatics, though.
......eventhough it is quite nearly impossible to rev that high in an automatic

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2006, 01:10:42 am »

Not so. Reset the ECM and drive really shitty, slamming on the gas often. It'll learn to shift really bad and late, redlining it before it switches gears.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2006, 01:24:35 am »
way too hard...takes too much effort to reprogram it....unless you have right hardware/software

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2006, 02:51:21 am »
way too hard...takes too much effort to reprogram it....unless you have right hardware/software

Not really. Most cars just require you to diconnect your car battery, wait 10 minutes, then reconnect it. Then, supposedly, you're supposed to go through a sequence in your owner's manual. However, if you just drive it after reset, it will learn things incorrectly (like automatic shifting), and hence will redline.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2006, 06:03:20 pm »
Or, if you want to be real white trash, notice there's no lock between neutral and drive, rev in neutral and pop into drive. You could also just floor it. I left like 8 feet of rubber in my mothers MiniVan by sheer lead-footedness.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2006, 06:20:31 pm »
Or, if you want to be real white trash, notice there's no lock between neutral and drive, rev in neutral and pop into drive. You could also just floor it. I left like 8 feet of rubber in my mothers MiniVan by sheer lead-footedness.
lol!

my truck (when in neutral) limits the rpms to 4000

Offline Super_X

• I suck.
  • I suck!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2006, 06:46:04 pm »
lol!

Haha. Your truck is an automatic.
Luhzar! ;) <3

That's stupid. That is annother reason I dislike new cars with more computers than an asian store. It's stupid. If I want my car to do something, no fucking computer better tell me it's not okay.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2006, 06:51:23 pm »
lol!

Haha. Your truck is an automatic.
Luhzar! ;) <3

That's stupid. That is annother reason I dislike new cars with more computers than an asian store. It's stupid. If I want my car to do something, no fucking computer better tell me it's not okay.
F150s are only offered in an auto ... unless you get a v6

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2006, 06:54:13 pm »
Learn to drive a manual, I've driven tons of manuals ranging from imports to full size trucks, and then to muscle cars.  Once you have the general concept down it only takes a few minutes to get adjusted to a different vehicle, because no two are the same.  You need to find the "spot" in the clutch, to do it slowly let off the clutch until you feel the car start moving ( while in 1st ), it will start rolling EXTREMELY slowly, from there you need to give a little gas and start letting of the clutch.  Most people refer to the process as a "teeter totter" when learning, it's actually extremely simple.
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.