Author Topic: Microsoft does something right  (Read 10535 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft does something right
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2006, 08:50:36 am »
I know, I doubt the whole OS would be .NET (Though possible), mainly most of the components. And if they write it in .NET it will be written in a non cross platform .NET 3.0 (WinFX) which only works on XP and Later.
Beat that mono.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2006, 11:11:23 am »
Beat that mono.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this statement.  I thought mono's intention was to allow .NET applications to run and be developed on Linux, not extend the features or compete with .NET...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2006, 01:21:44 pm »
Beat that mono.

I'm sorry but I don't understand this statement.  I thought mono's intention was to allow .NET applications to run and be developed on Linux, not extend the features or compete with .NET...

They try to implement the .NET framework on a different platform (MS having made their own product for MacOSX and Linux) so yes, they are competing. It would be interesting to see them keep up with .NET. Meaning they'd need to implement WinFX in it's entirety which includes WPF. I don't see that happening anytime soon, sorry.

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2006, 01:33:35 pm »
Beat that mono.

They try to implement the .NET framework on a different platform (MS having made their own product for MacOSX and Linux) so yes, they are competing. It would be interesting to see them keep up with .NET. Meaning they'd need to implement WinFX in it's entirety which includes WPF. I don't see that happening anytime soon, sorry.

I didn't know there was a MS product for .NET on Linux, could you link me?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 01:59:53 pm »
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2006, 02:21:02 pm »
Beat that mono.

I didn't know there was a MS product for .NET on Linux, could you link me?

http://www.mono-project.com/About_Mono

If you can't figure out why your post was retarded on your own, god help you.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2006, 02:25:51 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_Source_Common_Language_Infrastructure

The Shared Source Common Language Infrastructure (SSCLI), previously codenamed Rotor, is Microsoft's shared source implementation of the CLI, the core of .NET.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2006, 02:57:21 pm »
There is no Microsoft product on Linux. Microsoft produces for Win32 / Win64 alone.

There is an implementation of a Microsoft product on Linux. Microsoft did not write this implementation.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2006, 03:04:34 pm »

The Shared Source Common Language Infrastructure (SSCLI), previously codenamed Rotor, is Microsoft's shared source implementation of the CLI, the core of .NET.

Unless I'm misreading something, what I gather from that wiki entry is this:

1.  Microsoft provided the necessary technology/information for a mono like application to exist on other platforms, it does not appear that it exists for any other purpose.  Mono implementing this wouldn't be competing with MS since there is no actual MS product (as Newby said), just MS rescources.

2.  It also says the most current version is not supported on anything other than XP sp2 which would also suggest that Mono is in fact filling a void instead of just being competition

If it seems I'm being overly defensive of Mono.....well I am :)

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2006, 03:07:17 pm »
There is no Microsoft product on Linux. Microsoft produces for Win32 / Win64 alone.

There is an implementation of a Microsoft product on Linux. Microsoft did not write this implementation.

What part of Microsoft's (*As in written by them*) shared source implementation did you miss?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 03:09:36 pm »

Unless I'm misreading something, what I gather from that wiki entry is this:

1.  Microsoft provided the necessary technology/information for a mono like application to exist on other platforms, it does not appear that it exists for any other purpose.  Mono implementing this wouldn't be competing with MS since there is no actual MS product (as Newby said), just MS rescources.

Which MS wrote and shipped out as a product. Withought it Mono, DotGNU, etc.. wouldn't exist.

2.  It also says the most current version is not supported on anything other than XP sp2 which would also suggest that Mono is in fact filling a void instead of just being competition

If it seems I'm being overly defensive of Mono.....well I am :)

They provide the documentation, you implement. Isn't that what you guys wanted?

Who's to say MS will release .NET 3.0 information? WinFX implementations? They can stop if they damn want to and if they do, then Mono and everyone else will never support .NET 3.0. I love how these things work.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 03:16:17 pm »
This is about Windows 98, not .NET (which sucks).

Topic locked. I'd expect less fighting and more on topic discussion from the king and a member, but I guess I overestimated.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 03:23:25 pm »
It's a controversial topic.  You know we have pro-windows people on these boards.  If you don't want structured debate (I think they both did a pretty good job of keeping their cool), don't post this kind of crap.

Also, .NET does not suck.  Do you want me to go get MyndFyre to rip you a new one? :P

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 03:36:11 pm »

What part of Microsoft's (*As in written by them*) shared source implementation did you miss?

Mono was not written by Microsoft. It's based on the Common Language Infrastructure (http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-335.htm). It's like you writing a Battle.net bot based on documentation from BnetDocs. Does that make BnetDocs the owner of your bot because much of your work was based off of their documentation?

Hey joe, next time you wanna try and insult me I'll fucking ban you. Got it?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 03:38:37 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 04:45:48 pm »
Mono was not written by Microsoft. It's based on the Common Language Infrastructure (http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-335.htm).

I didn't say Mono was written by Microsoft. SSCLI is written by Microsoft. It's their product, an independant one? No. But it is a product, the ported over .NET core.