Author Topic: Microsoft does something right  (Read 10537 times)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Microsoft does something right
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2006, 05:41:50 pm »
Vienna is completely rewritten, they are scrapping the current kernel. I suspect it will be all if not mostly .NET
I highly doubt they'll move to a managed kernel.  Windows will not ever be .NET-kerneled; .NET is the class library, and there's too much stuff in the class library that relies on the API. 

Singularity is a proof-of-concept research project.  They said that if they did move it into commercial work, it would most likely be an independent (from Windows) platform.

I know, I doubt the whole OS would be .NET (Though possible), mainly most of the components. And if they write it in .NET it will be written in a non cross platform .NET 3.0 (WinFX) which only works on XP and Later.
You're an idiot.  WinFX is an API (Windows Framework) that is built on the current CLR (v2.0) and included in Windows Vista, and .NET 3.0 will ship with Vista and be down-level available for XP and 2003.

That has nothing to do with the kernel and little to do with the OS.  Read about how Singularity was designed with three managed layers for more information.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2006, 07:31:20 pm »
Vienna is completely rewritten, they are scrapping the current kernel. I suspect it will be all if not mostly .NET
I highly doubt they'll move to a managed kernel.  Windows will not ever be .NET-kerneled; .NET is the class library, and there's too much stuff in the class library that relies on the API. 

Singularity is a proof-of-concept research project.  They said that if they did move it into commercial work, it would most likely be an independent (from Windows) platform.

They also said Windows was just a graphical front end for DOS. If it works out well enough they will use it, and do you see any problems with it currently? I don't.

I know, I doubt the whole OS would be .NET (Though possible), mainly most of the components. And if they write it in .NET it will be written in a non cross platform .NET 3.0 (WinFX) which only works on XP and Later.
You're an idiot.  WinFX is an API (Windows Framework) that is built on the current CLR (v2.0) and included in Windows Vista, and .NET 3.0 will ship with Vista and be down-level available for XP and 2003.

That has nothing to do with the kernel and little to do with the OS.  Read about how Singularity was designed with three managed layers for more information.

You know..except WinFX has been NAMED the .NET Framework 3.0 by the vice president of Microsoft who is also incharge of Development in Vista.

.NET Framework 3.0 (previously known as WinFX) is the set of new core APIs introduced with Windows Vista that will include Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) and Windows CardSpace (WCS) previously codenamed InfoCard.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework#.NET_Framework_3.0

Is anyone denying .NET 3.0 isn't backwards compatible? You know ..since WinFX is backwards compatible..??

Look at the early Longhorn builds, most of the Windows components were managed. It was pulled because .NET was not ready. For vienna, theres no doubt they will try it again. Remember, Vienna is after Fijii so they have about 10 years to get research done and get it done right.

Because you read a few articles on Singularity don't get gassed up on me, I've already read my fill about Singularity, Kernel design, and the .NET framework.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 07:36:37 pm »
Did you read the blog entry about the name change from WinFX to .NET Framework 3.0?  Note that they say in the remarks, yes, the CLR is still 2.0.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2006, 08:17:10 pm »
It also defines what the .NET framework really is, not just THE .NET framework but their latest developer solution.

Weather or not it uses the 2.0 CLR doesn't matter if the meaning of the word '.NET' is the latest and greatest Windows development platform. It's already known that Non managed applications will run in a sandbox in Vienna, meaning Microsoft is planning something big for Vienna.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2006, 08:40:56 pm »
It also defines what the .NET framework really is, not just THE .NET framework but their latest developer solution.

Weather or not it uses the 2.0 CLR doesn't matter if the meaning of the word '.NET' is the latest and greatest Windows development platform. It's already known that Non managed applications will run in a sandbox in Vienna, meaning Microsoft is planning something big for Vienna.

...much like Windows 3.x applications (and now Win9x applications) run in WOW now?

That's not *that* big of a deal.  It can either be nice, or annoying.  Doing things this way though can destroy any kind of hack.  Of course, it also breaks Warden (gfg blizzard pwnd).

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2006, 08:42:31 pm »

...much like Windows 3.x applications (and now Win9x applications) run in WOW now?

That's not *that* big of a deal.  It can either be nice, or annoying.  Doing things this way though can destroy any kind of hack.  Of course, it also breaks Warden (gfg blizzard pwnd).

Well I think it could make things much more secure since everything is done through the parent (FS access, graphics drawing) of course this is just an experimental phase I believe. It may/may not work out.