Author Topic: M$ takes aim at iTunes Music Store / iPod  (Read 7781 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
M$ takes aim at iTunes Music Store / iPod
« on: June 16, 2006, 08:46:36 pm »
http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/16/1951202&from=rss

Didn't they try to compete with the music store already with the new store in WMP10, but failed miserably?
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: M$ takes aim at iTunes Music Store / iPod
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 09:09:38 pm »
How can something (WMP10) that hardly is out fail miserbly? Not to mention MS doesn't own that music store. MTV does. I doubt MTV is going to fail at anything related to music anytime soon.

Just realized, WMP11 is the newest. But they do package a new store, URGE by MTV. Ahh confusion :X
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 09:13:53 pm by Warrior[x86] »
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 09:12:50 pm »
Here lets take an example.

Microsoft enters so many markets but it's rare that they don't dominate in them. A prime example would be their console domination. Microsoft has devestated the console market for being so new to it. It is not competing with Nintendo (old timer) and Sony who previously dominated the market.

If Microsoft (this was stated on SD and I agree with) can support both their new players and existing iPods then I believe we have a ballgame.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 09:13:55 pm »
I doubt MTV is going to fail at anything related to music anytime soon.
Besides playing it on their station, that is....
errr... something like that...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 09:14:34 pm »

LOL true

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 11:11:10 pm »
18 stations*

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 11:27:22 pm »
If Microsoft (this was stated on SD and I agree with) can support both their new players and existing iPods then I believe we have a ballgame.
werd, that will make for a goodgame.  however, alot of people are in this just for the name, thats why they buy apple, thats why its iTunes.  they want to be trendy, iPod is the sleek trendy thing to do, not iRiver or samsung or anyone, iPod...thats where the peer presure style trend is

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006, 04:40:11 pm »
Here lets take an example.

Microsoft enters so many markets but it's rare that they don't dominate in them. A prime example would be their console domination. Microsoft has devestated the console market for being so new to it. It is not competing with Nintendo (old timer) and Sony who previously dominated the market.

:|

I don't think the console market is a good example. They may have become a major player, but most certainly aren't dominating. Worldwide marketshare for xbox is about 15% compared to 70% for the ps2 and 14% for gamecube. The division has also only turned a profit one quarter since the launch of the xbox, and lost something like $4 billion since launch. That is not what I would call market domination.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 04:59:37 pm »
I thought J Allard was the man behind the Xbox?
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 05:00:51 pm »
Let's wait until the PS3 comes out and the 360 comes out. I think Microsoft is well established and Sony is going to have a hand full. Especially when their mouse touted feature is one no one will use for a while, Bluray.

Basically: Sony will flop, nintendo will just stay afloat, and Microsoft will dominate.

I'm sure as hell not going to buy that $600 abomination.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 05:05:22 pm »
mmmmmmmmmm, i dunno.

MS might just be holding on once the PS3 hits...there are people that will drop $600 bones for that, MAYBE itll be too much tho.
Nintendo, they have a cult following, but they arent much competition for anyone in the US it seems...its all PS or xbox

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 05:08:51 pm »
Let's wait until the PS3 comes out and the 360 comes out. I think Microsoft is well established and Sony is going to have a hand full. Especially when their mouse touted feature is one no one will use for a while, Bluray.

Basically: Sony will flop, nintendo will just stay afloat, and Microsoft will dominate.

XBox is shit in Japan, which is where most of the money consoles get flows from.  PS3 rocks asians.

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 05:22:30 pm »
mmmmmmmmmm, i dunno.

MS might just be holding on once the PS3 hits...there are people that will drop $600 bones for that, MAYBE itll be too much tho.
Nintendo, they have a cult following, but they arent much competition for anyone in the US it seems...its all PS or xbox
I think it will all come down to third party support.
errr... something like that...

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 05:29:28 pm »

XBox is shit in Japan, which is where most of the money consoles get flows from.  PS3 rocks asians.

I'd like to see an asian pay $600 for a peice of shit PS3, remember PS3 "isn't a console" according to sony. It's a fucking shitty rip off of Wii's controllers, sub par graphics, and a non standard propriatary format. I don't possibly see how this can work. Sony is running out of ideas and will die soon. Let's not forget the little rootkit incident, whoever trusts them after that is fucking retarded.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2006, 05:51:47 pm »
I'd like to see an asian pay $600 for a peice of shit PS3, remember PS3 "isn't a console" according to sony. It's a fucking shitty rip off of Wii's controllers, sub par graphics, and a non standard propriatary format. I don't possibly see how this can work. Sony is running out of ideas and will die soon. Let's not forget the little rootkit incident, whoever trusts them after that is fucking retarded.
Yet you trust Microsoft after all their bugs/stupid coding in their OS so much why?  Hypocrite.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine