Author Topic: Microsoft Robotics Division?  (Read 2683 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Microsoft Robotics Division?
« on: June 22, 2006, 08:04:50 am »
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/KckBhJJDyjKtwi/Microsoft-Developing-Robotics-Software.xhtml

I'll bet that the three laws are going right out the window :)

To quote my favorite reply on /.:
Microsoft will go through the motions, make announcements, hire some people, make more announcements, show a demo, make more announcements... but when it comes time to compete, they will do the only thing they know how to do:

Buy off a company who actually has something to show for their efforts!"

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft Robotics Division?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 09:08:10 am »

LOL! I'm not really into robotics but eh, someone has to dominate a market.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 09:11:09 am »
No, they will just be edited.  Probably to something along the lines of:
   1. A robot may not harm a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm, unless it makes Microsoft money or Microsoft tells them to do it.
   2. A robot must obey the orders given to it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law, or unless it makes Microsoft money or Microsoft tells them to do it.
   3. A robot must protect its own existence, as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law, or unless it makes Microsoft money or Microsoft tells them to do it.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 02:00:44 pm »
Another post I liked on Good Guys:

1. A robot may not harm the Microsoft Company, or, through inaction, allow the Microsoft Company to come to harm.
   2. A robot may not harm a Microsoft Executive, or, through inaction, allow a Microsoft Executive to come to harm, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
   3. A robot must obey the orders given to it by Microsoft Executives except where such orders would conflict with the First or Second Law.
   4. A robot must obey the orders given to it by Microsoft Employees except where such orders would conflict with the First, Second, or Third Law.
   5. A robot must obey the orders given to it by Microsoft Temp Workerss except where such orders would conflict with the First, Second, Third, of Fourth Law.
   6. A robot must protect its own existence, as long as such protection does not conflict with the First, Second Law, Third, Fourth, or Fifth Laws.
   7. Harm may be defined as physical, fiscal, emotional, mental, or of any other type, as defined by a Microsoft Executive.