Author Topic: World flipped upside down ... Cheney says no attack  (Read 6865 times)

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
World flipped upside down ... Cheney says no attack
« on: June 23, 2006, 12:34:57 pm »
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/06/22/nkorea.missile/index.html?

Clinton's defense secretary says pre-emptive attack, Cheney plays it down.

WHAT IS GOING ON!?  THE MADNESS

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: World flipped upside down ... Cheney says no attack
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2006, 01:07:44 pm »
Does North Korea have Oil?  No.  Does the current administration want to attack them?  No. 

Coincidence?  You decide. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 01:09:51 pm »
Does North Korea have Oil?  No.  Does the current administration want to attack them?  No. 

::)
Did Afghanistan have oil? (honestly, I have no idea whether or not they do).

Whats surprising is that Clinton's dude wants us to attack0rz N. Korea...its funny that he says go & cheney says no

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 01:14:20 pm »
Yes, they do:
The country's natural resources include copper, zinc and iron ore in central areas; precious and semi-precious stones such as lapis, emerald and azure in the north-east and east; and potentially significant oil and gas reserves in the north. However, these significant mineral and energy resources remain largely untapped due to the effects of the Soviet invasion and the subsequent civil war.

It seems to me that Clinton's guys are worried about the safety of their people, whereas Bush's guys are worried about making money.  I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 01:14:27 pm »
Does North Korea have Oil?  No.  Does the current administration want to attack them?  No.  

Coincidence?  You decide.  
You know damn well that this isn't empirical evidence.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 01:14:42 pm »
It wouldn't be smart to attack right now, we're preoccupied in Afghanistan and Iraq. Unless he fires one off I can't see us going to war with N. Korea. Not necessarily saying I agree with this but it's probably how it will be done.

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 01:16:16 pm »

You're right, and I'm not saying it is.  It's at the very least an interesting coincidence, and at the best it's circumstantial evidence. 

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 01:17:22 pm »

You're right, and I'm not saying it is.  It's at the very least an interesting coincidence, and at the best it's circumstantial evidence. 

Even if it was correlative, it doesn't indicate causation.  That means it's not even circumstantial evidence.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 01:23:08 pm »
Fine! It's an interesting coincidence. 

Iraq?  Oil.  Status?  Invaded.
Afghanistan?  Oil.  Status?  Invaded.
N. Korea?  No oil.  Status?  Not invaded. 

I think those are the only three on the table for this administration, but I could be wrong. 

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 01:40:59 pm »
I'm going to go ahead and note some of the points of the article (N. Korea was one of my research areas in college ;)).

Cheney, however, told CNN that, while "I appreciate Bill's advice," such an action could worsen the situation.
Indeed it may.  Because we have little or no access to intelligence assets inside of DPRK, we don't know with certainty that the site they want to hit is the right one, or whether they have other sites.  The Taepodong II missile can reach an arc covering through Baja Mexico up into Canada.  

Plus, I think Cheney said it well:
obviously, if you are going to launch strikes at another nation, you better be prepared to not fire just one shot.

China said Thursday all parties should try to reach a peaceful solution to the issue and urged a return to diplomacy.
Excellent!

"The U.S. imperialist warmongers have been intensifying military provocations against" the North, the country's official Korean Central News Agency said, according to AP.

"The ceaseless illegal intrusion of the planes has created a grave danger of military conflict in the air above the region."
Does this not remind you of 1984?  We're just checking up on them, not doing anything, and we're warmongering, imperialist, and provoking them.

Plus, I would like to see DPRK try to launch an aerial attack on our planes.  GFG.

Washington has repeatedly refused to hold direct talks with North Korea, saying any discussions should involve the nation's neighbors.
I believe this is the correct way to work.  The last talks we had established the Agreed Framework... which failed.  DPRK - especially Kim Jong-Il - wants to posture to the US.  He can get away with being belligerant if there are no witnesses.  Direct talks are a very quick way to making demands and threats.

The talks have stalled after Pyongyang refused to return, angry over an American crackdown on its alleged illicit financial activity.
Turn off the spin machine!  It was drug trafficking!

North Korea has sometimes engaged in surprise behavior to attract international attention when it felt it was being ignored, and it might feel slighted over Washington's current focus on resolving the nuclear issue with Iran
True, but I've never seen it said so bluntly.  LOL.

Officials said the Pentagon could try to use its missile defense system to shoot down the North Korean missile. The military has nine interceptor missiles based in Alaska and two in California.
That's good to know, but it's also scary that it may come to that.  The anti-ICBM missile sites are not necessarily ready, and one of the technical achievements of the Taepodong II is that it's highly maneuverable and equipped to deal with countermeasures.

South Korea's current unification minister, Lee Jong-seok, said humanitarian aid Seoul supplies to the North, such as rice and fertilizer, could be affected if a missile is tested
...so the masses of people will starve to death, like in any communist country, while the elites keep living it up with their fine aged brandy and seven course meals (did you know that Kim Jong-Il told Madeline Allbright that he was a connoseiur of brandy and wines?).

"Some say our missile test launch is a violation of the moratorium, but this is not true,"
That sounds like this guy:
"I triple guarantee you, there are no American soldiers in Baghdad."
(source)

/Sigh.

Fine! It's an interesting coincidence. 

Iraq?  Oil.  Status?  Invaded.
Afghanistan?  Oil.  Status?  Invaded.
N. Korea?  No oil.  Status?  Not invaded. 

I think those are the only three on the table for this administration, but I could be wrong. 
Since you insist on pursuing this, I should point out that we've already invaded N. Korea once.  We just haven't gotten around to getting back yet.

We can't invade every country in the world simultaneously, especially when liberal presidents cut our defense budget (ahem, Slick Willy).  We'll get around to it!

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 01:43:47 pm »
Since you insist on pursuing this, I should point out that we've already invaded N. Korea once.  We just haven't gotten around to getting back yet.

We can't invade every country in the world simultaneously, especially when liberal presidents cut our defense budget (ahem, Slick Willy).  We'll get around to it!
I'm not worried about the US in general, just this specific president/staff.  After 2008, I'm sure N Korea will be invaded, and maybe other countries that actually threaten us. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 01:59:10 pm »

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 02:05:46 pm »
Yeah yeah, North Korean talking bullshit and crying for attention again, nothing new, no big deal.
The only time I was worried about North Korean attacking someone was when they fired a short range missle over Japan, but that was just for attention.

Offline MyndFyre

• x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 02:07:35 pm »
Yeah yeah, North Korean talking bullshit and crying for attention again, nothing new, no big deal.
The only time I was worried about North Korean attacking someone was when they fired a short range missle over Japan, but that was just for attention.

You were worried about DPRK when you were 10 years old?

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 02:10:35 pm »

You were worried about DPRK when you were 10 years old?
lol,i dont think i knew what n korea was when i was 10

...arent GS & I the same age?