Author Topic: MS Answers the call!  (Read 4012 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
MS Answers the call!
« on: June 25, 2006, 10:51:03 pm »
Say hello to Windows Vista build 5456. It's an interim build released before Vista RC1 and already addresses many of Vista Beta 2's main flaws. Mainly speed, stability, UAC, and useability.

Aero has gotten a tuneup and Flip3D is antialiased (GOD THANK YOU). UAC is finally fixed (GOD THANK YOU x8). Speed is improved (Personally, I felt no difference but I think people closer to Minimum Reqs will)

It's gotten a lot of new icons, readded some old features for accessibility, added a listview option to Explorer (Thanks, I was mad when it was removed). Windows got a new set of mouse pointers (Really pretty), IE7 is updated with ability to move Tabs around and some fixes to other Applications.

Paul Thurrot and others are calling it what MS should of released as Beta 2. It's gotten all green lights and is a good reflection upon the final release.

I'll post my own screenshots and write a better description of my experiences later. Maybe this will solve performance problems you were having Ergot, unfortunately it's only for Connect members or *arr matie*..
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
Re: MS Answers the call!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 10:59:09 pm »
I'm too lazy to put on the eye patch and peg leg. :( Sounds good though. My dad hasn't had much trouble after switch the video driver to standard VGA; however, he claims he can't even play Solitaire now. Hopefully, we'll see an upgrade :(.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 11:06:47 pm »
I'm too lazy to put on the eye patch and peg leg. :( Sounds good though. My dad hasn't had much trouble after switch the video driver to standard VGA; however, he claims he can't even play Solitaire now. Hopefully, we'll see an upgrade :(.

I'd hammer nVidia with dissatisfaction reports until they budge. Really it's probably model/setup specific so provide full computer specs if you decide to email them.

But seriously, this version of Vista gives Microsoft a bright future. On the WinFS deal..it's merged with the next version of Microsoft's SQL thing. Oh well, I think Vista's searching features are adequate thought. A relation FS I really don't think can be done efficiently withought breaking a lot of compatability. Maybe in Vienna when they arn't scared to break things.

Right now Vista ran for me like a newborn baby. Setup took 37 minutes (Timed :D) and it just feels faster (Maybe it's just me but it does feel faster). They changed how glass blurs now, it uses gaussian blurs but most wont notice unless you used Vista extensively before. It feels nicer.

It has a bunch of small things that you notice and improves networking aspects (Havn't tried them though).

I'm recommending this build to anyone who can get their hands on it. It's an exceptional release.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 11:34:18 pm »

I'd hammer nVidia with dissatisfaction reports until they budge. Really it's probably model/setup specific so provide full computer specs if you decide to email them.

That's what I told my dad... he doesn't like doing those kind of stuff though. His loss.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 12:42:44 am »

But seriously, this version of Vista gives Microsoft a bright future. On the WinFS deal..it's merged with the next version of Microsoft's SQL thing. Oh well, I think Vista's searching features are adequate thought. A relation FS I really don't think can be done efficiently withought breaking a lot of compatability. Maybe in Vienna when they arn't scared to break things.

Right now Vista ran for me like a newborn baby. Setup took 37 minutes (Timed :D) and it just feels faster (Maybe it's just me but it does feel faster). They changed how glass blurs now, it uses gaussian blurs but most wont notice unless you used Vista extensively before. It feels nicer.

It has a bunch of small things that you notice and improves networking aspects (Havn't tried them though).

I'm recommending this build to anyone who can get their hands on it. It's an exceptional release.

You evidently don't know what WinFS is for.  It's not simply for the Explorer search interface.  It's also an API - developers are going to build their applications so that they can get functionality out of the file system.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 08:38:22 am »

You evidently don't know what WinFS is for.  It's not simply for the Explorer search interface.  It's also an API - developers are going to build their applications so that they can get functionality out of the file system.

You assume too much, I'm stating what the end user will see and get out of it. Not to mention Microsoft already provides an API for interacting with Vista's search capabilities. If it gives NEAR the same performance I wouldn't even bother..this was a good idea in 1995.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 01:12:47 pm »
I like how that screenshot shows the system having 1gb of ram, nothing other than the OS running, and the thingy in the top right shows 45% of the memory being used. Ouchies.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 02:44:45 pm »
Those widgets are friggin' ugly..
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 03:22:26 pm »
Gaim (3 tabs), Firefox (5 tabs), VB8, Task Manager, Vista. 700MB on the dot.

EDIT -
War, is that in Windows Update? *looks*
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 05:09:17 pm »
I like how that screenshot shows the system having 1gb of ram, nothing other than the OS running, and the thingy in the top right shows 45% of the memory being used. Ouchies.

Unused memory is wasted memory, kernel is allocated a set amount of memory for it's image and it's heap..
Not ALL of your memory is going to be free when you run an OS.

@deadly: Do you mean the gadgets? Those are just some default ones that come with Vista. People have made prettier ones although I don't think the current ones are that bad.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 08:23:42 pm »
You assume too much, I'm stating what the end user will see and get out of it. Not to mention Microsoft already provides an API for interacting with Vista's search capabilities. If it gives NEAR the same performance I wouldn't even bother..this was a good idea in 1995.
What the end-user will get out of it will depend on the applications they use and the level of integration with WinFS the developers put into their programs.  It's not simply searching.  If, for instance, a base class of WinFS that Explorer will be able to display is a Contact, your applications can extend the Contact to be more robust.  Or, you can create new objects for Explorer to display.

Calling WinFS a "file system" is a misnomer because it's really not - it's a way to organize metadata about the file system in a central repository, which is likely why it was pushed back and not a launch part of Vista.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 08:32:44 pm »
What the end-user will get out of it will depend on the applications they use and the level of integration with WinFS the developers put into their programs.  It's not simply searching.  If, for instance, a base class of WinFS that Explorer will be able to display is a Contact, your applications can extend the Contact to be more robust.  Or, you can create new objects for Explorer to display.

This is known, however the current Vista system already deals with meta-data which you can add/edit/delete at your pleasure. The capabilities were removed from explorer but the APIs are still there.

Calling WinFS a "file system" is a misnomer because it's really not - it's a way to organize metadata about the file system in a central repository, which is likely why it was pushed back and not a launch part of Vista.

I define a filesystem as anything which organizes files on the OS. It is a layer ontop of NTFS which offers a relational method of managing files.

I still don't see anything the current Vista code can't do that WinFS could. If anything WinFS was a marginal improvement and backportable to XP.