Author Topic: Notebooks / Laptops  (Read 3612 times)

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
Notebooks / Laptops
« on: June 26, 2006, 08:19:05 pm »
Looking at getting one, something with some decent spec's ( ~1.8ghz / 512mb RAM ), anyone have any suggestions or warnings?
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: Notebooks / Laptops
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2006, 08:25:23 pm »
I absolutely recommend getting it at Best Buy and getting their warranty plan.  So far I've had a notebook replaced entirely, probably four batteries and an LCD screen.

I paid $1750 plus tax plus the $300 for the warranty plan on the first laptop.  That covered two batteries and the cost of the second computer.  I paid another $300 for the warranty plan on the second laptop, have gotten two batteries (probably will get a third) and a new LCD screen (17" WXGA).

Their service plan is unbeatable.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 08:33:49 pm »
x2.......

I like my HP zv5080.  2.0 amd64, 512ram, 15.4" wxga screen.
its big, isnt lite, doesnt have awesome battery life....but its good laptop-desktop thing

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 08:57:52 pm »
I have a Dell.  Intel Core Duo 1.53 GHz, 1 GB Dual Channel, NVidia 7800 Go, 17" WXGA.  I love it so far, but I haven't had an encounter with their warrenty plan.  I did get the 3 year warrenty, so I guess we'll see. :)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 09:02:56 pm »
Oh yeah, definitely go for a Core Duo - I hear for mobiles they kick all manners of ass.

If you do any programming I also recommend a wide screen.  It's handy having (roughly) the normal size of a screen for just code, and then having the toolbox and solution explorer on either side of the notebook screen.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 10:10:50 pm »
Oh yeah, definitely go for a Core Duo - I hear for mobiles they kick all manners of ass.

If you do any programming I also recommend a wide screen.  It's handy having (roughly) the normal size of a screen for just code, and then having the toolbox and solution explorer on either side of the notebook screen.

I have to agree with the widescreen. Using Tory's laptop for some random Java stuff has left me scrolling left and right non-stop. =p
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 11:26:59 pm »
I have a Centrino 1.5ghz with 512mb ram, and it's served me well for almost 2 years now.  And yeah, definitely get warranty. 

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 12:50:17 am »
My brother has a Toshiba laptop.  It's a pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 17" screen, and 1 gig of RAM (I think...).  I'm not real sure about graphics card.  He was happy with it until he decided that 1 hour of battery life wasn't enough.  Also, he has to be really careful when he takes it off a desk and puts it in his lap as it can easily overheat.  However, it did serve quite well as a desktop replacement.

I really think that the reason he's getting an Apple now is because his girlfriend has one; he's trying to impress her.  :-\
errr... something like that...

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2006, 12:52:13 am »
My brother has a Toshiba laptop.  It's a pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 17" screen, and 1 gig of RAM (I think...).  I'm not real sure about graphics card.  He was happy with it until he decided that 1 hour of battery life wasn't enough.  Also, he has to be really careful when he takes it off a desk and puts it in his lap as it can easily overheat.  However, it did serve quite well as a desktop replacement.

I really think that the reason he's getting an Apple now is because his girlfriend has one; he's trying to impress her.  :-\
My Acer Aspire 3002 that weak battery life, and although it doesn't overheat, it sure gets hot.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2006, 08:05:26 am »
Incidentally, I'm not sure if everybody knows this, but Pentium M chips (which is what the Centrino has) go on a different scale.  1.4ghz - 1.8ghz on a Pentium M aren't the same as those speeds on a P4. 

Offline Furious

• I hate rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2006, 09:06:53 am »
This will be used mainly for school work, and misc. things related for my girlfriend.  It also has to be able to run WoW smoothly ( I got her addicted /sigh, hence the 1.8ghz and 512mb RAM )
[23:04:34] <deadly7[x86]> Newby[x86]
[23:04:35] <deadly7[x86]> YOU ARE AN EMO
[23:04:39] <Newby[x86]> shush it woman

[17:53:31] InsaneJoey[e2] was banned by x86 (GO EAT A BAG OF FUCK ASSHOLE (randomban)).

Quote from: Ergot
Put it this way Joe... you're on my Buddy List... if there's no one else on an you're the only one, I'd rather talk to myself.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2006, 09:29:53 pm »
Well, don't get a Gateway.  My personal experience with them has been horrid, although they are good about fixing stuff, the one my dad has just sucks too much to be worth it.  It's had a new battery, a new charger unit, a new charger cord, overheated twice, and has nuked itself 3 times.  We sent it back again (it won't boot anymore) a couple days ago.