Author Topic: Better make sure your windows copy is legal...  (Read 11277 times)

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
Re: Better make sure your windows copy is legal...
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2006, 05:27:40 pm »
I'd be interested in real numbers about how much $ they predict they are losing out on and how much they are actually losing out on. You also have to wonder how many people have legit claims to windows but are using a pirated version for a reason like the copy that came with the computer is crap?
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2006, 06:44:35 pm »
I wonder how many here alone have illegal copies of windows.

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2006, 08:29:14 pm »
I wonder how many here alone have illegal copies of windows.

Make a poll.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2006, 08:31:26 pm »
I'd be interested in real numbers about how much $ they predict they are losing out on and how much they are actually losing out on. You also have to wonder how many people have legit claims to windows but are using a pirated version for a reason like the copy that came with the computer is crap?
Yeah, that's exactly what I used to do. 

I think that if they actually go through with it, it could be dangerous.  I mean, sure they lose money off pirating, but they also get loyal customers.  The customers will continue to use Windows, and will demand it at work, and they'll insist that family members get it, etc.  By how proliferated Windows is, legal and otherwise, I think that's proof that that works.  I'd be willing to bet that they make as much money off pirating as they lose, just by gaining customer loyalty. 

That being said, if they force people to buy Windows, then it'll be more likely that the local geek will set up the computer-moron with Linux, because the computer-moron wants a low-end computer that doesn't cost much.  The computer-moron will learn to use Linux, and will probably never buy a Microsoft product.  I doubt it'll be common, but it'll be much more common if Microsoft makes that change. 

I don't think this decision will hit them hard, but I definitely think that their market share will slip as a result.  And I don't think Vista is going to introduce any exciting new developments into the personal computer world, so I can't help but think that their market share will slip even more.  Only the future will tell, though. 

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2006, 09:30:35 pm »
Well, mine is legal, but how much do you figure Microsoft is spending on this anti-piracy campaign? I'd much rather them stop worrying so much about pirates and work on improving all their products even moreso than they try now.
errr... something like that...

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2006, 09:34:05 pm »
I don't think this decision will hit them hard, but I definitely think that their market share will slip as a result.  And I don't think Vista is going to introduce any exciting new developments into the personal computer world, so I can't help but think that their market share will slip even more.  Only the future will tell, though. 

We all know DirectX10 isn't exciting or anything. Or for that matter WPF..
Damn.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 09:29:14 am by Warrior[x86] »
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2006, 12:20:40 am »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say if customers were truly loyal that they'd buy a legit copy...otherwise they wouldn't be customers ;)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 01:36:16 am »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here & say if customers were truly loyal that they'd buy a legit copy...otherwise they wouldn't be customers ;)
What about customers who think they're buying a legit copy?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2006, 01:39:17 am »
I doubt it.  Just about everybody here is loyal to Windows, but I'll bet a lot of people here have illegal copies.  However, if the people with illegal copies were put in charge of a network, they would likely buy a volume license which would make Microsoft a lot more money than the money they lose on a single copy.  And that's my point. 

Those are the customers who are going to get screwed.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2006, 09:19:36 am »
...how do you not buy a legit copy?...would it just be from some random person online?

@ iago: k.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2006, 09:23:00 am »
...how do you not buy a legit copy?...would it just be from some random person online?
Maybe the Guy Down the Street sold you a copy, or maybe a seedy local computer store sold you the copy.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2006, 11:30:27 am »
That can be solved if you have the authenticity seal on the box. If not then yes, you got fucked. I don't see people who get fake shoes getting compensation, it's their fault for being idiots.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2006, 12:22:26 pm »
I have a real fake.  It's awesome.  Yes, it's burned, but it's a special edition, so it's still legal :)

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 07:16:24 am »
I'm pretty sure they've already started putting this into practice in small numbers. My dad does tech support (yes, shitty job, but he's staying because he gets a VPN), and he gets ~3 calls daily where people cannot boot up. He tells them to boot into safe-mode, and once it's passed the Windows screen, it says something to the extent of "Microsoft Anti-Piracy Team: You're version of Windows is illegal and has been shut down", and after that, the computer restarts.

Anyways, I think it's kind of smart that they're FINALLY putting this fully into practice this fall, right around when Vista comes out. Definately not a coincidence.
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2006, 07:40:52 am »
Okay, I'm glad I spent less then thirty dollars on my legit copies, or I wouldn't have them.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...