Author Topic: Canada Day Celebrations  (Read 5139 times)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Canada Day Celebrations
« on: July 02, 2006, 12:15:39 pm »
Last night, for Canada day, I went to a local concert.  As I like doing, I'm going to protect my own memory and talk about it here.  It was really cool, and a lot of fun. 

Cunt Punisher
Cunt Punisher is the first real grindcore band I've seen live, and it was totally awesome.  The singer flailed around the stage, spending very little time on his feet, and the songs, of course, were mostly about 40 seconds of screaming.  Here are some of the highpoints:
- The guitar player came out dressed as a bear
- They had a girl on stage making ham sandwiches for the audience.  Ham sandwiches!  My friend got a ham sandwich and said it was the best one he's ever had. 
- Some guy spilled beer on one of the monitors, so they and the rest of the band had to play without monitors
- They broke the bass a few songs before the the end, so they ended up with 2 singers and no bass.  In a grindcore band, that was pretty cool. 
All in all, grindcore kick ass live!  And the ham sandwiches were the best idea ever. 

Dissolution
I've seen dissolution before.  They're death-metal, with a really long boring instrumental, but besides that they're really good. 

Igor and the Skindiggers
This is the headlining band, and the one we actually came to see.  Although we've seen them before, they were much better this time.  The four band members dress like butchers with bloody aprons and white faces with black around the eyes and some spattered blood.  There's another guy on stage (Igor) who's huge, and doesn't actually do anything musical.  He walks around the stage/audience drinking blood, spraying blood on people moshing with the audience, and, at one point, fighting a bear (from Cunt Punisher).  We ended up bringing some of the singer's intestines home, and I bought a CD off them.  That was probably the only time I told my friend, "if you're going to bring that bloody intestine into the van, make sure it doesn't drip blood on the seat"

Oh, and they had this torso squirting out blood that just happened to be directly above my head.  Clicky!  Also notice that I wore an "I Am Canadian" shirt for Canada Day -- it's one of the few occasions where I put thought into what I was wearing. 

Mandatory Death
Mandatory Death didn't start till after 2am, and I was already tired, so I didn't enjoy them as much as I could have.  They're trash metal, pretty good. 

Between Cunt Punisher and Igor and the Skindiggers, they made a huge mess.  There was blood and guts everywhere, the monitors were broken, and broken beer bottles/glasses were everywhere.  And it was a really awesome show. 

Afterwards we went to McDonald's, and the guys working there were really drunk, but really friendly.  The guy giving us the food got his head stuck in the automatic window.  It was pretty funny. 

Hope you guys enjoy your July 4 like we enjoyed our July 1 :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Re: Canada Day Celebrations
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 12:42:30 pm »
NAID ANAC MAI!

Did the McDonald's guys ask about the blood?

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 04:38:11 pm »
I think they were too screwed up to notice, even after my friend said, "want some bloody intestine?" (the response was something like "oh, wasn't there a double cheeseburger?")

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 04:39:26 pm »
It's also my fathers birthday so we just had a party at our house.  Lots of food, you know, the usual.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 08:38:40 pm »
wtf is grindcore?...

grinding here is dry-humping basically.  grindcore, intense dryhumping music?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 09:25:57 pm »
If I understand correctly it's metal with the idea in mind of giving you a headache as fast as possible without using so much bass as guitar, I think.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 10:11:03 pm »
wtf is grindcore?...

You make as much noise and go as fast as you can, while screaming and flailing around.  Songs are about 40 seconds or so.  Recorded, I don't mind it once in awhile, but live it's pretty awesome. 

To quote Newby,
Grindcore = punk meets thrash and has an ugly love child. Characterized by extremely fast (240 bpm easily) drumming, incomprehendable riffing and lyrics, and very short songs (often lacking a song structure). ex: Terrorizer, Napalm Death, Carcass, Pig Destroyer.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 11:39:17 pm »
Deliverance - Temporary Insanity

Christian Grindcore! ^_^!
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 03:00:03 am »
Reads to me like a moral story about grind-metal, drunken canadians and dirty people.
No but seriously, good for you, sounds like your a big local band supporter.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 01:28:26 pm »
wtf is grindcore?...

You make as much noise and go as fast as you can, while screaming and flailing around.  Songs are about 40 seconds or so.  Recorded, I don't mind it once in awhile, but live it's pretty awesome. 

To quote Newby,
Grindcore = punk meets thrash and has an ugly love child. Characterized by extremely fast (240 bpm easily) drumming, incomprehendable riffing and lyrics, and very short songs (often lacking a song structure). ex: Terrorizer, Napalm Death, Carcass, Pig Destroyer.

wow.... :-\ those guys must be SUPER talented ::)

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 02:05:43 pm »
wtf is grindcore?...

To quote Newby,

I'm not entirely sure if you're being sarcastic or not.  But I should say, they are quite talented.  To play music that doesn't sound horrible that quickly is pretty amazing.  If you watch the fingers on the guitar/bass, they move EXTREMELY fast, much faster than I could ever move my fingers. 

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 05:51:49 pm »
"incomprehendable riffing and lyrics, and very short songs (often lacking a song structure"

[...]

"But I should say, they are quite talented."

Newby vs iago!!!

I don't like death metal, I like rock and heavy metal but not death metal, I don't think it requires much talent other than playing really fast, and as a guitar player I know that playing anything fast sounds good.

Offline Hitmen

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 06:46:37 pm »
I don't like death metal, I like rock and heavy metal but not death metal, I don't think it requires much talent other than playing really fast, and as a guitar player I know that playing anything fast sounds good.
It depends. Some death metal is extremely simple, something like nunslaughter where there are only a handful of midpaced riffs in every song, but in something like cannibal corpse there are a lot of really technical riffs thrown around, usually really windy and all over the fretboard. Lots of trill and tons of different notes trem picked rapidly. Good death metal bands are not sloppy. Grind on the other hand is just wailing really fast on the guitar, and depending on the band may take absolutely no talent at all to play, and may be extremely sloppily played.
(22:15:39) Newby: it hurts to swallow

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 10:52:41 am »
wtf is grindcore?...

To quote Newby,

I'm not entirely sure if you're being sarcastic or not.  But I should say, they are quite talented.  To play music that doesn't sound horrible that quickly is pretty amazing.  If you watch the fingers on the guitar/bass, they move EXTREMELY fast, much faster than I could ever move my fingers. 
It was very sarcastic.

They make fast noise...a monkey can make fast noise...big deal.
No structure, no rythm, no comprehensibility (is that a word?), no talent.  It just so happens that they can move their fingers fast, they have the ability to move their fingers fast...that's all, they aren't musical geniuses, they aren't musical rejects...they dont play music

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 11:34:45 am »
It was very sarcastic.

They make fast noise...a monkey can make fast noise...big deal.
No structure, no rythm, no comprehensibility (is that a word?), no talent.  It just so happens that they can move their fingers fast, they have the ability to move their fingers fast...that's all, they aren't musical geniuses, they aren't musical rejects...they dont play music
In some cases yes, in some cases no.  It depends. 

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 09:44:12 pm »
Deliverance - Temporary Insanity

Christian Grindcore! ^_^!

Christian thrash metal*.

It depends. Some death metal is extremely simple, something like nunslaughter where there are only a handful of midpaced riffs in every song, but in something like cannibal corpse there are a lot of really technical riffs thrown around, usually really windy and all over the fretboard. Lots of trill and tons of different notes trem picked rapidly. Good death metal bands are not sloppy. Grind on the other hand is just wailing really fast on the guitar, and depending on the band may take absolutely no talent at all to play, and may be extremely sloppily played.

That explains why Nunslaughter sucks. Frightmare + Lord Gore are two creations that are much better by Maniac Neil... hehe. Frightmare = awesome.

CrAz3D, before you go bashing death metal, why don't you stop generalizing and realize that quite a few good death metal bands have a song structure, have rhythm, they are very understandable (besides the vocals, which are meant to be grunted), and it takes a ton of talent (moreso than rock anyhow) to play the drums/guitar to that extreme.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 12:00:23 am »
I was talking about grindcore.......not death metal.

I can stand some death metal, that is until it is so loud that my head hurts.