Announcements > [x86] Announcements

New Server

<< < (3/13) > >>

MyndFyre:
We (or at least I) seem to have some problems with the database server.  iago, please check the forum error log and see the permissions SMF needs.

Sidoh:

--- Quote from: zorm on July 04, 2006, 02:48:25 am ---So out of idle interest, why are you running different VMs for everything? Doesn't the overhead of having to run them out weigh the benefits?

--- End quote ---

No, I kind of doubt it.  Considering the stats on darkside and pie, partitioning his new server's resources is still a drastic improvement with just that considered.  I don't think any of the application servers he is running would benefit from having access to all of his server's resources.  With this, he can isolate problems much more easily and if one server starts having a problem, he can simply restore it without worrying about resetting any of his other servers.

--- Quote from: zorm on July 04, 2006, 02:48:25 am ---P.S. The main site is outdated because the person who was running it got voted out of the clan. Yet ironically it still uses all my code and such.

--- End quote ---

Also because no one else has gotten the time or motivation to do it.  We have more than a few people able of updating it.  Also, I don't see how the fact it's still using your code is "ironic."

iago:

--- Quote from: zorm on July 04, 2006, 02:48:25 am ---So out of idle interest, why are you running different VMs for everything? Doesn't the overhead of having to run them out weigh the benefits?

--- End quote ---

There are a few benefits:
- Security -- I can restrict stuff better.
- Flexibility -- if I want to test something, it's easy.
- Cost -- One 3.2ghz server, and I can run just about everything at 3.2ghz (more later).
- Coolness -- it's just really cool having something powerful finally :)
- I can't think of a title -- I can give VMWare instances to friends and stuff.
- Experience -- This is the first time I've set up a properly controlled network. 

The odds of two of the servers both needing the CPU at the same time is low, and I don't plan to run a lot of heavy aps.  Thus, odds are that all instances will get high CPU usage most of the time. 

But yes, there is some overhead.  VMware uses a tiny bit of CPU and something like 100mb of ram.  I can survive with that, considering the benefits. 

--- Quote from: zorm on July 04, 2006, 02:48:25 am ---P.S. The main site is outdated because the person who was running it got voted out of the clan. Yet ironically it still uses all my code and such.

--- End quote ---
No, it's outdated because nobody could really update it.  Now that it's on a distinct server, I'm ok with giving the entire clan the password, provided I'm backing it up just in case something happens. 

zorm:

--- Quote from: iago on July 04, 2006, 04:45:15 pm ---There are a few benefits:
- Security -- I can restrict stuff better.
- Flexibility -- if I want to test something, it's easy.
- Cost -- One 3.2ghz server, and I can run just about everything at 3.2ghz (more later).
- Coolness -- it's just really cool having something powerful finally :)
- I can't think of a title -- I can give VMWare instances to friends and stuff.
- Experience -- This is the first time I've set up a properly controlled network. 

The odds of two of the servers both needing the CPU at the same time is low, and I don't plan to run a lot of heavy aps.  Thus, odds are that all instances will get high CPU usage most of the time. 

But yes, there is some overhead.  VMware uses a tiny bit of CPU and something like 100mb of ram.  I can survive with that, considering the benefits.

--- End quote ---
Ah, sounds like its working out nicely for you then. I'd really like to do this actually but running one VMWare instance is hard enough. Then again I have a fourth the ram and am trying to run heavy applications like vs.net and photoshop.

Sidoh: Its ironic when you look at the reasons why I was kicked out of the clan and the fact that it still uses my code which could contain fun things like backdoors and what not :p

iago:
Your code has been looked at by several members, so they'd probably see backdoors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version