Author Topic: School Demands Access to Cell Phones  (Read 10605 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
School Demands Access to Cell Phones
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:46:13 pm »
http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/06/07/08/0716201.shtml

Someone on this forum lives there, and I feel their pain. Although whether or not it'll affect them is a different question.. I mean, I doubt said person carries pictures of weed on their phone!
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: School Demands Access to Cell Phones
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:51:34 pm »
I wouldn't be so sure, knowing him.....  :)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 12:56:52 pm »
That's technically illegal.  They need a warrant to search any private property (IE: backpacks, cellphones, even notebooks).  I can't wait for a lawesuit.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 01:00:26 pm »
That's technically illegal.  They need a warrant to search any private property (IE: backpacks, cellphones, even notebooks).  I can't wait for a lawesuit.
No they don't.  They just need "probable cause".  That means that if someone tells the administration Bob has a dime bag of weed in his locker, the administration has full rights to search that locker.  They've done full item searches at my school, that's why I know. :\
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 01:04:33 pm »
No they don't.  They just need "probable cause".  That means that if someone tells the administration Bob has a dime bag of weed in his locker, the administration has full rights to search that locker.  They've done full item searches at my school, that's why I know. :\
word.

They can search anything & everything you have (car, locker, clothing, backpack, etc) if they think you might have something.

Why not just put a password lock on the phone?... & then laugh when they can't unlock it?

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 01:11:25 pm »
That's bullshit, when they took away my MDA I called TMobile and someone had been making calls from it after they took it away. I immediately cancelled my service and made a complaint to the District. When I finally got my MDA back it had scratches everywhere and was loaded with someone elses call history.

I then called the School and they denied ever even touching it. After a couple of calls back and forth over a few days I just decided to send the phone to TMobile in exchange for a new one.

This is why I don't trust anyone with my phone and if it's either give the phone up or get suspended then I'm getting suspended.

I mean they supposedly "Check all phones to make sure they arn't stolen" when the first day it got taken away I took my reciept and box to the office.

This is bullshit.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 01:30:08 pm »

I'm not sure about your laws there, but here, when minors are in school, the school acts as their legal guardian.  As such, to be in school while a minor, most rights are given up, the same way parents have the right to search their own children's belongings. 

But perhaps it's different in the US, I don't know. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 01:34:50 pm »
I think it's pretty much the same so it wouldn't be illegal but it still isn't right for them to do it especially if you can prove you own the cellphone.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 01:35:52 pm »

I'm not sure about your laws there, but here, when minors are in school, the school acts as their legal guardian.  As such, to be in school while a minor, most rights are given up, the same way parents have the right to search their own children's belongings. 

I don't know about public schools, but my [private] high school required the parents to sign a waiver letting them do things like this before you could enroll.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2006, 01:42:14 pm »

I don't know about public schools, but my [private] high school required the parents to sign a waiver letting them do things like this before you could enroll.
privates schools are a WHOLE different thing than public schools

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2006, 02:26:35 pm »
I think it's pretty much the same so it wouldn't be illegal but it still isn't right for them to do it especially if you can prove you own the cellphone.
I don't mean using it.  Perhaps they can do that, but they shouldn't, that's abuse of power.  I just meant searching it, in reference to the original article, and searching other things, in reference to some of the replies. 

privates schools are a WHOLE different thing than public schools
Yeah.  Although I think that the same laws apply to public and private schools in this respect, signing a waiver is good protection. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2006, 02:32:24 pm »
I dont think so.  I think public schools have more search authority vs. a private school's authority.

I believe its legal (somehow) for public schools in Tennese? to still paddle kids...I think private schools can do it whenever if they get parents to sign a waiver.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:34:24 pm by CrAz3D »

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2006, 03:17:22 pm »
I dont think so.  I think public schools have more search authority vs. a private school's authority.

I believe its legal (somehow) for public schools in Tennese? to still paddle kids...I think private schools can do it whenever if they get parents to sign a waiver.

That sounds pretty fishy.  Some rights you can't waive, even if you sign a contract saying you have.

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2006, 03:30:58 pm »
Lockers are school property and are subject to search at any time with or without prior notice, or stated or unstated reason.

Trust me fellas, I know all this.  Last year 12 kids from my grade (out of 50, mind you, a big part) were suspended because of things found in their backpacks.  The school was doing searches of lockers and backpacks.  Eventually all but 4 of them were unsuspended and apologized to because evidence for their suspension was found in their backpack, which is personal and private property, as opposed to their locker.  The other four stayed suspended because they were retards and were smoking weed in the halls after school the next day (fucking morons).

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2006, 04:32:04 pm »
Lockers are school property and are subject to search at any time with or without prior notice, or stated or unstated reason.

Trust me fellas, I know all this.  Last year 12 kids from my grade (out of 50, mind you, a big part) were suspended because of things found in their backpacks.  The school was doing searches of lockers and backpacks.  Eventually all but 4 of them were unsuspended and apologized to because evidence for their suspension was found in their backpack, which is personal and private property, as opposed to their locker.  The other four stayed suspended because they were retards and were smoking weed in the halls after school the next day (fucking morons).
My school did something similiar.  They went through all the class rooms and halls with drug dogs searching.  We had to leave our backpacks in the class room.  If the dogs sniffed anything, that student was immediately sent to the office.  Needless to say, they always received a little time off from school.
errr... something like that...