Author Topic: Waste the US's money!  (Read 8267 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Waste the US's money!
« on: July 10, 2006, 06:49:21 am »
www.goarmy.com/plus

Get yourself a free Boonie hat today! DirecTV offer. :)
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: Waste the US's money!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 09:36:46 am »
An Army representative will call you soon to answer any questions you may have. There's no cost and no obligation.
No thanks!

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 02:07:24 pm »
An Army representative will call you soon to answer any questions you may have. There's no cost and no obligation.
No thanks!

Psst. You're Canadian they can't recruit you but you can still get free stuff courtesy of the US taxpayers!
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 03:41:56 pm »
I still don't want the army calling my house...

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 05:21:27 pm »
They wouldnt send it outside of the US?

Offline BigAznDaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 05:30:56 pm »
so that is where all our taxes go.......
fucking boonies

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 05:38:34 pm »
fucking boonies

All your taxes riight... probably like $1000 out of a couple trillion. That sure is all.

The local Army recruiter took a group of us out to lunch one day, a group that included non-citizens who couldn't join the Army. I've gotten pizza from the Marine Corps recruiter too. They are willing to give away free stuff, its great.

BTW iago, whats wrong with the Army calling your house? I suspect you have been misinformed about something.
- William of Ockham

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 06:54:08 pm »
Phone number is optional.

They have my name, so if they wanted to look me up, I'm sure they could. Also, I didn't put my graduation date or DOB, but I put that I completed freshman year, so I probably look like a dropout.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2006, 07:07:30 pm »
All your taxes riight... probably like $1000 out of a couple trillion. That sure is all.

The local Army recruiter took a group of us out to lunch one day, a group that included non-citizens who couldn't join the Army. I've gotten pizza from the Marine Corps recruiter too. They are willing to give away free stuff, its great.

BTW iago, whats wrong with the Army calling your house? I suspect you have been misinformed about something.
I don't want anybody calling me unless they want to offer me something useful and free.  Like Zend, for example -- they called me and I didn't mind.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 12:17:51 am »
They do want to offer you something useful and free, like college education, cash, a job, marksmanship training, and desensitization. They also supply exercise and motivation in the form of a pissed off D.I. for free. Hell they will even take you hunting for free and supply the gun and ammo! Of course the prey is a dirty terrorist but I hear the scream when they die is something to behold! You want to talk about a deal? This ones a pretty good one, probably way better than anything Zend could offer.
- William of Ockham

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 12:20:54 am »
fucking boonies

Wow, a whole pizza, and all you had to do was get harassed for a few hours and pretend to be interested.  I'll stick with my job, thanks.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 12:21:52 am »
Exactly. You get the pizza, yet there's still no such thing as a free lunch.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 12:25:48 am »
I don't think Zend ever forces any of their customers to risk their lives.

Zorm, I'm not saying the Army is a rip off or anything, but you clearly need to realize that it's not a suitable lifestyle for everyone.  I, for one, dropped out of the Navy's DEP program for Nuclear Engineering because of the forced lifestyle that I would be living for four years of my life.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 12:45:33 am »
Wow, a whole pizza, and all you had to do was get harassed for a few hours and pretend to be interested.  I'll stick with my job, thanks.

Actually she was occupied talking to other people who were DEP'd in. So basically I got to eat free pizza and hang out with my friends. I tend to get the feeling that people think there is some sort of evil associated with recruiters. They are humans and the ones I've met haven't been overly aggressive or anything in their recruiting. God forbid people go out and be friendly to them or what not.

Exactly. You get the pizza, yet there's still no such thing as a free lunch.

Read above it was in all definitions a free lunch. When the Army recruiter took us to dinner it was much the same way. We got free food and to talk with the recruiter + friends. The recruiter was actually teaching us tricks to pick up women using the waitress as an example, it was highly amusing. At the end of dinner before we left he had us write down our basic info for him so that he could justify paying for dinner. (Basic info being SSN, DOB, phone #). I also wanted to mention that I don't think I've ever been called by a recruiter after giving them my information. However, I have gotten an assload of mail from the Marine Corps and their local recruiter called me once over the summer inquiring about my future plans. A simple 'college' was all it took and we said our good byes and that was that.

I don't think Zend ever forces any of their customers to risk their lives.

Zorm, I'm not saying the Army is a rip off or anything, but you clearly need to realize that it's not a suitable lifestyle for everyone.  I, for one, dropped out of the Navy's DEP program for Nuclear Engineering because of the forced lifestyle that I would be living for four years of my life.

I wasn't saying that its for everyone or trying to imply that everyone should be in the military. But it sort of bugs me when people react to the mere thought of talking to a recruiter or such. You tend to get funny looks if you are talking to a recruiter or what not(in a negative way) and it really shouldn't be that way. One of the recruiter here mentioned that he liked my school because he only got called a baby killer once a week at it vs a few times a day at the other schools around here. Anyhow I'm just doing my part because they tend to be nice people and don't really deserve a lot of the treatment that they get.

Out of curiosity, how'd you manage to get yourself DEP'd in without realizing what the lifestyle would be like? Any aspect of navy life that you didn't like or just the life in general? Of more interest is that 4 years really isn't that bad, doing Army ROTC I'll have to serve 8 years after I finish college. Of course it can be all reserve or mixed between active/reserve.
- William of Ockham

Offline Rule

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 12:55:04 am »
They're giving away so-called "free stuff" because they believe it will result in a return.  All of it is geared towards manipulating you, and I guess that's what people don't like about it.  Even the easy-going attitude could be a manipulation of sorts.  When you go with an army recruiter to eat, you are eating with someone who wants something from you. 

Actually, it looks like time spent with you has been well-invested.  Or am I wrong?
...doing Army ROTC I'll have to serve 8 years after I finish college. Of course it can be all reserve or mixed between active/reserve.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 12:58:03 am by Rule »