Author Topic: New DNS servers!  (Read 3342 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
New DNS servers!
« on: July 10, 2006, 01:10:22 pm »
http://www.opendns.com/

That is awesome stuff. Now I can add those DNS servers along with 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 to my /etc/resolv.conf file!

Read the Wired article on it here (I got this from /.).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 01:12:27 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: New DNS servers!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 01:39:11 pm »
No! Those are the DEVIL!!

"Currently, web surfers simple(sic) get an error message when they attempt to navigate to an unused domain. OpenDNS users will instead be routed to a company server that will present a list of search engine results and paid advertisements."

In addition to speeding up MySpace, which is definitely a bad thing, ....

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 01:54:56 pm »
My DNS servers do that too. It's really weird. I get a godaddy result just like that on my box, and the only DNS servers I have are 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2, along with my ISP DNS servers (which don't do that on any other box..). :|
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 01:59:31 pm »
Mine don't do that on any of my computers.  But I think FireFox might have a feature that lets you do that. 

Either way, I strongly hope that these servers DON'T get widespread acceptance.  It's bad enough when spyware changes your default search page, but when your DNS servers let somebody decide where you go if you mistype?  That's bad. 

It wasn't too long ago that VeriSign did the same thing, creating a large uproar. 

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 02:06:09 pm »
I tend to use OpenNIC DNS servers. The problem is that they seem to disappear on a regular basis and some of the ones listed don't seem to exist anymore. But hey its better than some other solutions.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 03:41:28 pm »
I use 4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.6 because they're so darn easy to remember.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 10:41:27 pm »
Zoneedit.com has been around longer and doesnt have said annoying typo feature ;)