Author Topic: M$ Hit with $357M fine  (Read 5656 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
M$ Hit with $357M fine
« on: July 12, 2006, 02:48:56 pm »
http://slashdot.org/articles/06/07/12/1218204.shtml

Apparently M$ isn't too worried about it inside sources say, but it will lower their already small paychecks for employees. :P

If I were running M$, I'd pull out of Europe and say, "have fun with linux and macintrash, you european cocksuckers," but I'm ruthless.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
Re: M$ Hit with $357M fine
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:16:46 pm »
If I were running M$, I'd pull out of Europe and say, "have fun with linux and macintrash, you european cocksuckers," but I'm ruthless.

LOL
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 04:26:02 pm »
I've been hoping they pull out of EU. We'll see how fast they drop those damn fines. It would be beautiful.

If Linux grows then so be it, I'd rather have Linux competing against MS as opposed to Mac.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 06:13:59 pm »
"anti-competition ruling"

uhm, wow, that's pretty scary!

Next week:
Quote from: BBC
The European Union has decided to sue the Olympics Committee in order to stop all forms of international athletic competition, plans to sue everyone else underway.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 07:34:49 pm »
yeah, I'm glad that the EU has the balls to stand up the Microsoft.  In the rest of the world, justice can't be bought.  I love it. 

And incidentally, they've been threatening this for years, and MIcrosoft hasn't answered their demands. 

In some cases, I think Microsoft is being shafted.  But I don't care, I don't like Microsoft so I'm happy to see them get screwed :)

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 07:37:24 pm »

Teach me in the ways of the PWN.

Newby > God
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 07:40:35 pm »
yeah, I'm glad that the EU has the balls to stand up the Microsoft.  In the rest of the world, justice can't be bought.  I love it. 

And incidentally, they've been threatening this for years, and MIcrosoft hasn't answered their demands. 

In some cases, I think Microsoft is being shafted.  But I don't care, I don't like Microsoft so I'm happy to see them get screwed :)
Justice!?

You call stopping a company because they're good at what they do justice?!

Its the same as affirmative action right now!  Its stupid! 

Scenario:
You & Joe are both up for the same job...you have more money & more more easily avalible but someone sues so that Joe gets the job....is that justice?!  FAR FROM IT!

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 07:41:16 pm »
I think this comment on slashdot sums it up:

This is my point. What would be the consequences of such inaction? Basically, the EU is seen to be powerless against mega-corporations. The law is subject to corporations, not the other way around. M$ would be perceived as above the law in the EU! Big, big trouble...

The only way the EU could actually enforce this would be to threaten, essentially, trade sanctions. But how heavily is the government, industrial and home market of every EU country saturated with M$ products? So they can't even impose anything worth a damn without incurring massively detrimental consequences themselves.

Think this through, seriously. It's frightening.

In other words, either way MS will win. You can fine them all you want, if they refuse to pay what are you going to do..ban Microsoft products in EU? Whooptydo, it's going to hurt EU a lot more than it will hurt MS.

MS has very smart legal consultants on a very large payroll, I think they are two steps ahead of the game.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 07:42:58 pm »
MS has very smart legal consultants on a very large payroll, I think they are two steps ahead of the game.

What's nice is that all M$ employees get FREE access to said legal consultants. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 07:44:26 pm »
You call stopping a company because they're good at what they do justice?!
No, I call stopping a company for breaking the law justice.

Scenario:
You & Joe are both up for the same job...you have more money & more more easily avalible but someone sues so that Joe gets the job....is that justice?!  FAR FROM IT!
That's not the same situation at all.  More accurately would be, me and Joe are up for the same job.  I have a lot of money and pay the HR rep to hire me.  Should I get in trouble for it?  Absolutely. 

In the US, if you can afford high-end lawyers, you can get away with pretty much anything.  In the EU, it doesn't seem to work that way.  I think that's a serious problem with your (and Canada's) legal system. 

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 07:47:13 pm »
My scenario is closer to whats going on than yours.  MS didnt pay anyone off, they just have a bigger hold on the market.

Anti-competition laws, how could ANYONE support that!?  That means higher prices for everyone, probably lower quality goods too, its communism in full swing!

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 07:49:49 pm »
In the US, if you can afford high-end lawyers, you can get away with pretty much anything.  In the EU, it doesn't seem to work that way.  I think that's a serious problem with your (and Canada's) legal system. 

I agree with this slap on the hand technique employed by the US won't work either. It's hard to deal with this withought placing some sort of restriction on MS's products. I think if the EU, Canada, AND the US stood up together then MS might open their eyes and comply with seemingly logical things. I mean for fucks sake, it's just damn documentation. Jesus fucking christ MS it won't kill you.

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 07:52:49 pm »

I agree with this slap on the hand technique employed by the US won't work either. It's hard to deal with this withought placing some sort of restriction on MS's products. I think if the EU, Canada, AND the US stood up together then MS might open their eyes and comply with seemingly logical things. I mean for fucks sake, it's just damn documentation. Jesus fucking christ MS it won't kill you.
what sort of documentation about windows are they supposed to release?...everything?

Offline Warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 08:04:26 pm »

what sort of documentation about windows are they supposed to release?...everything?

I don't remember exactly it was some sort of net service.

MS's problem is that they create technologies, it becomes widely adopted and then they don't release the standard. That stagnates competition. It makes it hard for others to even compete, monopolies are only relevant when the company is so in control of the market. Another company can be doing the same thing but not be significant so no one will care. I don't necessarily agree with it but it's how things are.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 08:34:40 pm »
Anti-competition laws, how could ANYONE support that!?  That means higher prices for everyone, probably lower quality goods too, its communism in full swing!
What do you mean higher prices?  Do you think that when a company has a monopoly, the price falls?  No.  When a company has a monopoly, they can charge whatever they want to, and things are far more expensive. 

In either case, whether or not you support the law, it's the LAW.  If you don't support the law, that's fine, but you can't get mad about a company being fined for breaking it. 

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 09:16:44 pm »
So, Microsoft pays the fine and raises prices in the EU to cover the amount.

Ten years down the line people will call it 'The Great European Microsoft Tax'.

or

Microsoft says hahaha and stops distributing its software to the EU and perhaps even stops producing software in the languages that exist only in the EU.