Author Topic: Anti-piracy Laws Bite Microsoft in the Ass  (Read 3267 times)

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
Anti-piracy Laws Bite Microsoft in the Ass
« on: July 12, 2006, 10:08:53 pm »
Here's the thing. The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act is a federal statute. The first litigation was under state laws. The CFAA is one of the serious, heavy-handed computer abuse laws Hollywood and other content owners dream about, designed to deal with "pirates" and "hackers". And now, ironically enough, it is being applied to Microsoft, and I have to say, if all you look at is the actions and compare with the statute, it does seem to match up.

Microsoft is in the midst of a second class action lawsuit against WGA.  MS has also released some shady uninstall instructions for WGA and, hopefully, will eventually remove it entirely!

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20060705042741949

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Anti-piracy Laws Bite Microsoft in the Ass
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 10:13:06 pm »
This is good news... :D

Offline dark_drake

• Mufasa was 10x the lion Simba was.
  • x86
  • Dun dun dun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 02:46:50 am »
Awesome!
errr... something like that...

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 12:55:20 pm »
This whole thing is rediculous, Apple phones home I don't see anyone on their balls over it. Also, it's impossible to uninstall the option for Apple to phone home.

One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 01:51:59 pm »
This whole thing is rediculous, Apple phones home I don't see anyone on their balls over it. Also, it's impossible to uninstall the option for Apple to phone home.

We talked about that before, and phoning home is only a small part of the problem. 

But out of curiosity, can you explain more about Apple's phoning home?  I mean, Windows phones home to check for updates, and nobody cares, because that's totally different. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 02:18:06 pm »

We talked about that before, and phoning home is only a small part of the problem. 

But out of curiosity, can you explain more about Apple's phoning home?  I mean, Windows phones home to check for updates, and nobody cares, because that's totally different. 

Apple iirc reports statistics about your computer after an update and according to a person who checked it out, phoned home twice in 3 hours.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling