Author Topic: "Enterprise search is OUR business..."  (Read 3848 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
"Enterprise search is OUR business..."
« on: July 17, 2006, 02:26:00 am »
...and Google is not going to take that business.

Hate to say it, but I don't think he's right. And isn't it true that when you get really threatening, you're scared you're gonna lose? :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: "Enterprise search is OUR business..."
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 02:41:46 am »
Too bad Google is already winning? :\

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 09:33:15 am »
Haha, they're desperate.  In the next few years, Google is going to take away more and more Microsoft business.  Just wait'll they have their own online office suite with unlimited storage space.. who's going to buy Office?

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 11:46:07 am »
I would buy a google operating system.  Google has always been there for me with neat, new interactive programs.  Microsoft keeps releasing the same blah.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 12:08:05 pm »
I'm reasonably sure that if Google did an OS, it would be free, closed source, and have built-in ads.  That might not be so bad, though. 

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 12:35:21 pm »
Haha, they're desperate.  In the next few years, Google is going to take away more and more Microsoft business.  Just wait'll they have their own online office suite with unlimited storage space.. who's going to buy Office?
Considering google continually denies working on any office or OS products, I think that timeframe is wishful thinking :)

I don't think they are 'out to get Microsoft'

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 12:58:58 pm »
Considering google continually denies working on any office or OS products, I think that timeframe is wishful thinking :)

They have a replacement for Outlook's email client.  They have a replacement for Outlook's calendar.  I seem to remember a spreadsheet program, which replaces Excel.  It sounds like they're working on office products to me. 

They may not be ready to compete on the OS market yet, but I think they will be soon. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 01:43:29 pm »

They have a replacement for Outlook's email client.  They have a replacement for Outlook's calendar.  I seem to remember a spreadsheet program, which replaces Excel.  It sounds like they're working on office products to me. 

They may not be ready to compete on the OS market yet, but I think they will be soon. 
Perhaps this is true, but - particularly with e-mail - how many large corporations do you really think want their e-mail stored on 3rd-party servers they can't control?

Gmail, while amazingly great, doesn't meet that corporate need or proprietary-ness.

I also doubt that whatever calendar program Google's cooked up is really appropriate for enterprise.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 01:51:24 pm »
Perhaps this is true, but - particularly with e-mail - how many large corporations do you really think want their e-mail stored on 3rd-party servers they can't control?

Gmail, while amazingly great, doesn't meet that corporate need or proprietary-ness.

I also doubt that whatever calendar program Google's cooked up is really appropriate for enterprise.
I agree, and that's why I don't use those tools. 

I could see Google competing in the corporate world in the future, perhaps with self-managed boxes (which Google already does, to some extent). 

For now, they're working on the home-user market, which is still a very important market.  And they're doing a pretty good job of it. 

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 02:38:32 pm »
Companies can buy Mini-Google server blades to install wherever they want.  Huzzah!

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 02:54:36 pm »
Companies can buy Mini-Google server blades to install wherever they want.  Huzzah!
aye, we have one here that we use for the public library catalogue (the private one is still on an Oracle system) as do other libraries throughout the state

Offline rabbit

• x86
  • I speak for the entire clan (except Joe)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 03:01:15 pm »
I should correct myself.  "Companies" should be "anyone with enough money".

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2006, 05:15:59 pm »
I could see Google competing in the corporate world in the future, perhaps with self-managed boxes (which Google already does, to some extent). 

For now, they're working on the home-user market, which is still a very important market.  And they're doing a pretty good job of it. 
I agree.  The other thing about Gmail, though, is that it works *with* Outlook and other 3rd party clients.  So it's not necessary competing with it.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Nate

• You all suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 09:04:26 pm »
They also own writely.com now.  And i doubt they will produce an OS.  I see them taking the route of virtualization, with Intel talking about 32 core processors by 2010 and the populariy of Virtual Machines i think they will produce mobile devices that take advantage of online services.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 10:49:55 pm »
I agree.  The other thing about Gmail, though, is that it works *with* Outlook and other 3rd party clients.  So it's not necessary competing with it.

Well, they're competing with hotmail I suppose. :)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT.