Author Topic: DVD Ripping software  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
DVD Ripping software
« on: July 27, 2006, 01:22:24 pm »
I need some software to rip DVDs. On Windows. My dad is whining that I got it to rip in *nix before I did Windows when I was supposed to solve this problem a long time ago.

Anyway, it needs to be a full tool suite (kinda like Nero, but he doesn't like Nero) that can rip whole DVDs into .avi files.

Suggestions needed. I'm down to the wire on this. :|

And if it costs $$$, the merrier. He seems to think that if there's $$ involved, it'll be a better product versus something that is free. Apparently all corporate scum think this way, which is why Linux is apparently "dying" in the server field. :/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 01:25:08 pm by Newby »
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
Re: DVD Ripping software
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 01:44:18 pm »
Check out www.doom9.net -- I haven't been there lately, but that used to be a good source. 

And it's probably free -- all the most useful software is free :)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 02:03:52 pm »
It is a good source for individual tools, but what I'm looking for is essentially what mencoder can do: take the DVD and encode the whole slice (dvd://1) into an .avi file. In one command. Or in the case of a Windows product, a few clicks.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 02:19:09 pm »
Well you can do it with 2 tools, DVD Decrypter and MEGUI both found on the doom9 site.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 02:59:21 pm »
WiReS said IMtoo works, but I wouldn't know about that.  Haven't wanted to rip to AVI.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 04:29:26 pm »
Looks like mplayer is available for Windows. I'm gonna give that a shot, then go with what Zorm said.
- Newby

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 04:30:48 pm »
DVD santa is a pretty good ripping software that my brother gave me. He gave me the setup and I have yet to find a CD key gen though but Iam sure with your ubber 1337 hax newby you could probally find one easy. If you would like the setup hit me on Gaim one of these days and I will send the file. Iam not sure it rips .avi form but you can feel free to try.  :P
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Killer360

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 04:35:21 pm »
Tried Warez? :)

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 05:56:07 pm »
Tried Warez? :)

We do not support software piracy on this forum.
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 03:10:30 am »
So what did you end up doing? I forgot to mention that MeGUI actually has an auto encode mode but I've never tried it so I'm not sure if it will actually do the ripping from the DVD for you or not. Currently I'm ripping things and encoding them in h264 with AAC sound and the MP4 container. I have been leaving everything at the resolution it is on the DVD (720x480 for most 4:3 stuff) and doing a bitrate near 1000 and I end up with a movie someplace in the range of 1GB to 1.5GB depending on how long the movie is. I'd have to say it works for me and hopefully(but I really doubt it) the h264+MP4 stuff can just be slapped on a HDDVD or Bluray disk and played in their respective players. Its a long shot but I figured what the hell.
- William of Ockham

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 02:14:20 pm »
I gave up. mencoder ripped them fine with DivX 5/6 or whatever vcodec=mpeg4 specifies, and the audio was mp3lame @ 128kbps (audio quality does not matter apparently to him :/), but when watched in WMP or Media Center, it whined like a whore about lack of codecs.

Makes no sense to me, but eh?

zorm: DVDDecrypted and MeGUI?
- Newby

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 07:38:35 pm »
Did you install DivX player? You're going to need codecs for just about any rip unless you keep it as mpeg2 but then you don't get compression so thats rather crappy too.

Yes MeGUI and DVD Decrypter you can get both from http://www.doom9.org. You can read the forums and there is a lot of information on both. One thing about MeGUI because I didn't pay attention to all the install information, it will tell you something about 'Updates being avaibable' click ok or whatever so that you can download the 'updates' this will actually be all the programs it needs to do its job correctly.
- William of Ockham

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 07:51:13 pm »
What I don't understand is, if I, for instance, downloaded Star Trek: Voyager's DVDs, they come through crystal clear 720x405 Divx AVIs, and yet if I use the tools from Doom9 (which were still confusing as hell), the Divx output is very blocky.  I targetted the one-hour (or, 40 minute) Firefly episode off of my DVDs for 375MB (which is your standard download size for a one-hour TV show) and it just came out crappy.

Thoughts?
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline Quik

• Webmaster Guy
  • x86
  • \x51 \x75 \x69 \x6B \x5B \x78 \x38 \x36 \x5D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 08:17:46 pm »
I like to do Xilisoft DVD Ripper 4 with a little DVDShrink action on the side. Mix where necessary.
[20:21:13] xar: i was just thinking about the time iago came over here and we made this huge bomb and light up the sky for 6 min
[20:21:15] xar: that was funny

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 12:29:37 am »
What I don't understand is, if I, for instance, downloaded Star Trek: Voyager's DVDs, they come through crystal clear 720x405 Divx AVIs, and yet if I use the tools from Doom9 (which were still confusing as hell), the Divx output is very blocky.  I targetted the one-hour (or, 40 minute) Firefly episode off of my DVDs for 375MB (which is your standard download size for a one-hour TV show) and it just came out crappy.

Thoughts?

Possible that you are using different playback methods? Some codecs/players can do deblocking in the postprocessing stage when its actually playing the video back. Its also possible that there is a deblocker setting for the actual encoder too, might want to check on this.
- William of Ockham