Author Topic: Help on disk-read error.  (Read 7278 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Help on disk-read error.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 10:28:35 pm »
Is RAID handled at the system or OS level?
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 11:04:21 pm »
I'd guess system, since my motherboard has ports for RAID.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 09:50:07 am »
Uhh... no.  Every single program I use that handles sensitive data saves in at least one-minute intervals.
I think he meant data loss from a hard drive getting fried.

I'm unaware of any RAID configuration that has the main intention of increasing capacity.  RAID is used for write speed, drive integrity or a combination of the two.

In fact, with RAID 5 (At least 4 drives required), you entirely lose the functionality of one of the drives in the array for bit parity.  The advantage is: if you lose one drive in the array, you lose none of your data.  When it is replaced, the array rebuilds itself.  On top of that, RAID 5 features data striping, so writing data is a lot faster.  There are tons of RAID configurations, but 5 is probably the most practical/reliable for a workstation situation.
RAID is all fine and good (although a bitch to setup on XP), but if you don't need the write performance or 100% uptime on the data it serves, I think a simple backup is much better bang for the buck (ie on most workstations).  My 80gb external hard drive (cost me ~$100 2 years ago) holds backups for all my computers.  Ghost even schedules the backups such that I have a fresh backup every week with incrementals every day. 

@Joe, there are actually two types of RAID. Hardware controlled and Software controlled.  If you want to find out more, there are plenty of articles on the differences.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 11:09:28 am »
I think he meant data loss from a hard drive getting fried.

You're thinking of RAID 0.  With RAID 5, one drive going bad doesn't sacrifice the existance of your data.  You put another drive in and it rebuilds itself on the fly.

RAID is all fine and good (although a bitch to setup on XP), but if you don't need the write performance or 100% uptime on the data it serves, I think a simple backup is much better bang for the buck (ie on most workstations).  My 80gb external hard drive (cost me ~$100 2 years ago) holds backups for all my computers.  Ghost even schedules the backups such that I have a fresh backup every week with incrementals every day. 

RAID is easy as hell to set up in windows XP, especially if your RAID controller doesn't suck.  I've done it quite a few times.  If I wanted to back up my entire hard drive, I could just buy another SATA 120 GB and set up a RAID 1 configuration, but I don't want to do that.  Everything I have is already backed up to my server.  If I wanted to give myseslf drive integrety, I'd set up RAID 5.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 05:31:45 pm »
You're thinking of RAID 0.  With RAID 5, one drive going bad doesn't sacrifice the existance of your data.  You put another drive in and it rebuilds itself on the fly.
I'm very familiar with RAID, a lightning strike fries every hard drive, not just 1 ;)  I was not referring to a single disk failure.

RAID is easy as hell to set up in windows XP, especially if your RAID controller doesn't suck.  I've done it quite a few times.  If I wanted to back up my entire hard drive, I could just buy another SATA 120 GB and set up a RAID 1 configuration, but I don't want to do that.  Everything I have is already backed up to my server.  If I wanted to give myseslf drive integrety, I'd set up RAID 5.
You are referring to a Hardware RAID controller.  Try it again without one ;)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 06:53:56 pm »
I'm very familiar with RAID, a lightning strike fries every hard drive, not just 1 ;)  I was not referring to a single disk failure.

Not when you have a decent surge protector.

You are referring to a Hardware RAID controller.  Try it again without one ;)

Why?  My motherboard has an onboard SATA raid controller.  My motherboard cost $120 two years ago.

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 09:16:37 pm »
Why?  My motherboard has an onboard SATA raid controller.  My motherboard cost $120 two years ago.
My point is that RAID is not "easy as hell" to setup on XP without a Hardware RAID controller.  The last machine I set it up on using Windows XP did not have one.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 06:52:28 pm »
My point is that RAID is not "easy as hell" to setup on XP without a Hardware RAID controller.  The last machine I set it up on using Windows XP did not have one.

And my point is that software RAID controlers suck and shouldn't be used. :P

Offline Chavo

• x86
  • no u
    • View Profile
    • Chavoland
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 07:13:54 pm »
Then say its easy as hell to setup RAID with a hardware controller, not that its easy to setup in Windows XP  :P

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 07:20:30 pm »
Then say its easy as hell to setup RAID with a hardware controller, not that its easy to setup in Windows XP  :P

No thanks.