Author Topic: Removing SP2?  (Read 7818 times)

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
Re: Removing SP2?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 05:05:23 pm »
No, clicking a warning that comes up constantly, especially at the worst possible times (during meetings, etc)

With some work, I'm pretty sure that can be disabled.  In any case, I don't see the big problem of clicking a button during a meeting.

I don't remember seeing that option before.  But, I tend to ignore the links at the left, because usually they're shortcuts to other places that I don't really want to go anyways.  This is the first time I've seen an option there that I couldn't change in a more logical place.  Ohwell, that's one less annoyance :)

I didn't notice it until I did a search on google to find out how to disable those warnings.  I have to search google to find out how to do those sorts of things in Linux too, though.

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 05:25:15 pm »
I didn't notice it until I did a search on google to find out how to disable those warnings.  I have to search google to find out how to do those sorts of things in Linux too, though.
What??  *gasp*  :o :o :o :o :o
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 05:38:02 pm »
No, clicking a warning that comes up constantly, especially at the worst possible times (during meetings, etc)

With some work, I'm pretty sure that can be disabled.  In any case, I don't see the big problem of clicking a button during a meeting.
Yeah, but it's pretty annoying when you have powerpoint up and you're addressing a bunch of people, when suddenly it pops up, "your computer might not be secure!"

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 05:39:42 pm »

Yeah, but it's pretty annoying when you have powerpoint up and you're addressing a bunch of people, when suddenly it pops up, "your computer might not be secure!"

But it might not be!!!!

(Kidding)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 06:47:27 pm »

Why is it annoying?  Because it's humilliating?  If people don't understand what the security dialog is, they will probably overlook it, especially since you will almost always dispose of it in a matter of a few seconds.  If they do understand what it is, I doubt they'll care.  They know that it is out of your reasonable control to disable.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 01:30:25 am »

Why is it annoying?  Because it's humilliating?  If people don't understand what the security dialog is, they will probably overlook it, especially since you will almost always dispose of it in a matter of a few seconds.  If they do understand what it is, I doubt they'll care.  They know that it is out of your reasonable control to disable.

It's like anything else unexpected that happens during a presentation -- it sort of ruins the flow and such. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 01:56:56 am »
It's like anything else unexpected that happens during a presentation -- it sort of ruins the flow and such. 

If you use Windows at all, then you'll expect it.  I gave a presentation with a laptop running Linux and there was a slew of unexpected things (even during boot -- the damn thing decided to do check disk because it was the '30th boot') happened, but it was no problem.  I don't understand how a dialog box would ruin the flow of a presentation.  If it came up in the middle of a presentation, I would understand, but that could show a definite lack of preparation too, which isn't Microsoft's fault.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2006, 09:30:38 am »
You can (at least on Slackware) kill the 30th-boot diskcheck with control-c.  Just so you know for next time.  If you did a hard reboot, you can't kill it, though, you have to let it verify the disk. 

Maybe the whole problem is the nature of how I am.  I don't like real-time alerts for things.  I am extremely easy to distract, and my train of thought is bumpy, at best.  One little thing changes, and suddenly I completely forget what I was doing. 

The way I have Linux set up, there are never any realtime alerts.  gAIM boxes open on a different desktop, error messages only show up in logs, and so on.  That's a personal preference, of course, I can see more alerts being useful. 

Also, while we're talking about it, I HATE that little "Take a tour of Windows XP!" popup. 

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2006, 11:28:20 am »
You can (at least on Slackware) kill the 30th-boot diskcheck with control-c.  Just so you know for next time.  If you did a hard reboot, you can't kill it, though, you have to let it verify the disk. 

Yeah, I know, but the person I left in charge of booting up the laptop while I was setting up the projector didn't.   

Maybe the whole problem is the nature of how I am.  I don't like real-time alerts for things.  I am extremely easy to distract, and my train of thought is bumpy, at best.  One little thing changes, and suddenly I completely forget what I was doing. 

The way I have Linux set up, there are never any realtime alerts.  gAIM boxes open on a different desktop, error messages only show up in logs, and so on.  That's a personal preference, of course, I can see more alerts being useful. 

I'm pretty sure (with a little effort), you can accomplish the same in Windows.

Also, while we're talking about it, I HATE that little "Take a tour of Windows XP!" popup. 

Download tweakui (it's a microsoft utility) and turn off Toolbar -> Desktop Tips (or something like that).  That'd solve your problem.

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2006, 03:00:02 pm »
I also see this as a design flaw in Windows, I'm pretty sure I've posted how I felt about anything taking focus away from my current window as well. Windows needs to either implement a "Non intrusive" mode good for presentations and such where no tooltips popup or they popup in a less distracting manner, etc..
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 04:03:53 pm »
Or, how about an easy-to-find feature that lets you disable all that stuff?
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine