Author Topic: Did Judas really "betray" Jesus?  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
Did Judas really "betray" Jesus?
« on: August 02, 2006, 07:29:51 am »
I got bored and did a bit of research on the Gospel of Judas, and found that it brings up a new viewpoint. Jesus said that Judas would betray him, straight out, and that what he would do, he should do quickly. Only *after* he said that did Judas give him over to Caiphas. According to the four gospels, Judas always planned to betray Jesus, and what Jesus said was a prophecy of sorts, but the Gospel of Judas claims that it was instruction to Judas, which he then followed, allowing Isaiah's prophecy, that Christ would be killed by those he came to save, to be fulfilled.

Naturally, I have to go with what I've been taught, that Judas really did betray Jesus, but it's got an interesting point.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
Re: Did Judas really "betray" Jesus?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 05:02:05 pm »
MyndFyre owned this one. Check out Mark 14. Judas betrays Jesus in 10-11, and then Jesus prophesies what Judas has done in 18, after he's done it.

Offline GameSnake

• News hound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 10:43:58 pm »
Judas is evil, just look at the band Judas Preist!

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 11:01:23 pm »
Judas wasn't evil, just easily tempted. Goes to show that people know nothing about religion.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 11:12:40 pm »
Judas wasn't evil, just easily tempted. Goes to show that people know nothing about religion.

Couldn't "easily tempted" be a fundamental trait of "evil?"  If someone is consistently "easily tempted" into ending lives of others, I would definitely find it justified to call them "evil."

Offline Kaleeko

• Female Nerdz0r
  • Just let him in the fridge already!
    • View Profile
    • Kaleeko's DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 01:45:44 am »

Couldn't "easily tempted" be a fundamental trait of "evil?"  If someone is consistently "easily tempted" into ending lives of others, I would definitely find it justified to call them "evil."

Betraying someone to their death for money is evil. Enough said. He still made that choice. The one thing that does bug me was that Judas was in a way "used" to bring about Christ's crucifixtion so that we *could* be saved, but I highly doubt Judas was forced into that plot because God told him to. It was his own decision, I'm sure there are plenty of people that existed that would have made the same choice to betray Jesus. It just so happens God's a really smart cookie and knew it would be Judas specifically.

(From another viewpoint, if Jesus mentioned to Judas the betrayal, wouldn't that actually try to /stop/ him, rather than encourage him? That only makes what he did even worse, in my opinion.)

And actually, we're all sort of evil, since sin is evil, and everyone sins. Judas just sort of takes the cake in looking bad since, you know, he sort of helped a whole bunch of people put God's son to death.

And, Gospel of Judas, wtf? I wouldn't trust anything that wasn't the Bible. What's in the Bible is in the Bible for a reason, and what's not in it is not in it for a reason.

gos·pel 
n.

1. often Gospel The proclamation of the redemption preached by Jesus and the Apostles, which is the central content of Christian revelation.

Since when did Judas come back and proclaim about Jesus? I'm confused. Gospel of Mark, written by Mark. Gospel of Luke, written by Luke. Etc.

What is this "Gospel of Judas" you speak of?

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 03:44:39 am »
What is this "Gospel of Judas" you speak of?

It's a gnostic gospel. Totally unrelated to that, the Spanish name for the book of Jude is "Judas".