Author Topic: Necessary Software for New Computers  (Read 4319 times)

trust

Necessary Software for New Computers
« on: August 07, 2006, 01:28:56 pm »
What are some necessary or useful/recommended applications for new computers?

I got a laptop a couple of days ago for senior year, it was inexpensive but it's supposed to go to my sister when I go to college and get a nice one. (Though I plan to tell them that a 9 year old does not need a laptop and that I should keep it and get a Mac so that I have a Mac and Windows machine and just give her my desktop or something.)

Currently I have:

Norton
Windows Defender (Microsoft Antispyware)
Microsoft Office 2003
Rhapsody
Gaim
Firefox
Yahoo Messenger
Windows Live Messenger
DVD Play (it came bundled...I haven't tried it out yet but it may be replaced with PowerDVD)
Student 2006 (I have this on my main computer...it's a legal copy but I don't have the isos or install discs I don't think. I'm not sure if I can install it or whatever on my laptop still. I think I might have to download it from bittorrent and then use my serial.)

I'm looking mostly for productivity stuff, as I don't plan on using this for much more than listening to music, talking to friends, schoolwork, and burning dvds. (My desktop doesn't have a dvd burner and it's a hassle to go downstairs and use the other computer to burn dvds)

Thanks

Offline CrAz3D

• View Profile
Re: Necessary Software for New Computers
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 01:31:42 pm »
Photoshop is always nice

Offline Joe

• B&
  • x86
  • In Soviet Russia, text read you!
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 01:45:17 pm »
First, I suggest replacing Photoshop and MSOffice with Gimp and OpenOffice. I've had less issues with the latter programs. After installing Gaim, Yahoo Messenger is essentially useless. Norton is (was?) notorious for wrecking all kinds of outgoing gaming server connections (to name one, StealthBot had tons of issues), so personally I use ClamWin for anti-virus. As for spyware, I'd much rather trust my box to S&D + TeaTimer (built in realtime anti-spyware) than Windows Defender, but MS Antispyware seemed alright back in beta.
I'd personally do as Joe suggests

You might be right about that, Joe.

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 01:46:07 pm »
If he's on Windows, Joe, might as well use software tailored to the OS. Gimp and OpenOffice are crap in Windows.

Trust: Replace Norton with Kaspersky. I can hook up a 1 year license if you want. Did I mention that license autorenews itself? ;)
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline RoMi

• x86
  • gg no re
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 02:10:03 pm »
Gimp doesn't come close to photoshop.  If its a laptop get NetStumbler, never know when you need an open access point :) (iago knows my wifi hopping habits).  Process Explorer & notepad2 replace their windows equivalents.  I put VMware on my laptop, and carry a Linux live dvd, to save on space which is usually at a premium on a laptop, and boot that when I want to do something in Linux.
-RoMi

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 02:18:46 pm »
First, I suggest replacing Photoshop and MSOffice with Gimp and OpenOffice. I've had less issues with the latter programs. After installing Gaim, Yahoo Messenger is essentially useless. Norton is (was?) notorious for wrecking all kinds of outgoing gaming server connections (to name one, StealthBot had tons of issues), so personally I use ClamWin for anti-virus. As for spyware, I'd much rather trust my box to S&D + TeaTimer (built in realtime anti-spyware) than Windows Defender, but MS Antispyware seemed alright back in beta.

Open Office doesnt come close to Microsoft Office.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 08:07:48 am »
I like OpenOffice, the load times are just slow as shit for me.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

trust

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 09:03:26 am »
k well I'm not getting gimp or open office. though my mom uses open office at work. (thanks to me installing it)

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 09:08:52 am »
Uhm!! I always install WoW, WinRAR (the windows stock ones suck), Some spyware shit, an Anti-Virus, aim, winamp, and thats about it. Windows Office is nice to have. Oh right, need to install firefox. And maybe thunderbird, thats nice too if you use email a lot.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

trust

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 10:37:51 am »
I have Firefox, no ned for an email client because I just use gmail with gmail notifer and that works fine for me. I don't use winamp since I pay $10/month for Rhapsody, and most single media files I just play in WMP. But good suggestion on winrar I hadn't thought about decompression programs.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 02:09:35 pm »
7zip is way nicer than WinRAR and free too.

My personal computers run without antivirus and antispyware so those would probably be the first things to be deleted if it was me. I have better things to waste cpu cycles on!

How about a text editor? I've been using Editplus for years and it hasn't made me disappointed yet. Its so good that I'm actually considering buying it.

Although you said you weren't another for me is Media Player Classic and ffdshow. I can play pretty much anything with those two.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 02:23:25 pm »
A comparison of 7zip and WinRAR showed 7zip jumped to 100% CPU Usage in every aspect. I forgot but IIRC it was on digg a while ago, and the author concluded with "7zip may outperform WinRAR occasionally, but all around WinRAR is still the winner" or something to that effect.
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Blaze

• x86
  • Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 02:31:08 pm »
MagicISO, Daemon tools.
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 03:15:27 pm »
7zip is way nicer than WinRAR and free too.
WinRAR is free.  Despite the fact that after the 40-day mark an annoying message pops up every time you open it saying "Please buy WinRAR" or something, it still lets you use it.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 04:55:38 pm »
A comparison of 7zip and WinRAR showed 7zip jumped to 100% CPU Usage in every aspect. I forgot but IIRC it was on digg a while ago, and the author concluded with "7zip may outperform WinRAR occasionally, but all around WinRAR is still the winner" or something to that effect.

Dunno, I've been using 7zip for years now and have no complaints. It works very well. It may use 100% cpu or close to it but who cares? Most of the time if I'm unzipping something thats acceptable but note that I haven't seen this behavior.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham