Author Topic: Various geeky news!  (Read 6273 times)

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Various geeky news!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 02:49:41 pm »
WWDC 05 made Leapord seem like an OS which would blow Vista away.

Microsoft only needs to say one thing to shut Apple up: DirectX 10

Let's get this straight again:

Not only has Microsoft created .NET 3.0(Crappy name) which includes the Windows Presentation Foundation along with others but:

They are setting the standard for Graphics cards of the future by forcing them to be compliant to the DirectX10 standard. It's all or nothing with card features so the life of programmers is much easier.

They are introducing GPU accelerated GUIs and tearless drawing with the DWM

They've taken strides to improve their webbrowser (Significant strides, you guys heard they dropped the IE7+ name? Yep they listened to feedback)

They secured the OS with UAC (Which has been dramatically improved btw)

as well as other things such as Bitlocker, Flip3D(Although an Expose' type thing would rock)

I'm sure theres more I'm forgetting to list but the point is they do all this AND keep backward compat (IE7, Office, .NET 3.0, hell WPF is even going to work cross platform)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 05:53:02 pm »

Not only has Microsoft created .NET 3.0(Crappy name) which includes the Windows Presentation Foundation along with others but:

They are setting the standard for Graphics cards of the future by forcing them to be compliant to the DirectX10 standard. It's all or nothing with card features so the life of programmers is much easier.

They've taken strides to improve their webbrowser (Significant strides, you guys heard they dropped the IE7+ name? Yep they listened to feedback)

as well as other things such as Bitlocker, Flip3D(Although an Expose' type thing would rock)

I'm sure theres more I'm forgetting to list but the point is they do all this AND keep backward compat (IE7, Office, .NET 3.0, hell WPF is even going to work cross platform)

Those all sound great but you won't know until its actually released if any of them are worth the bits they take up. It might be like XP which has a crapload of 'new features' all of which I promptly turned off because they suck ass and I don't want them.

Also I'll never really forgive them for IE6, to stop updating your product when you know it is broken and crap is about the worst sin you can make. Even more so when you consider that they didn't even start over from scratch for IE7 they just updated IE6. Stuff like that makes me want to puke and is one of the really nice things about open source software. Atleast if it sucks there is the option of fixing it yourself.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 07:33:02 pm »

Those all sound great but you won't know until its actually released if any of them are worth the bits they take up. It might be like XP which has a crapload of 'new features' all of which I promptly turned off because they suck ass and I don't want them.

Also I'll never really forgive them for IE6, to stop updating your product when you know it is broken and crap is about the worst sin you can make. Even more so when you consider that they didn't even start over from scratch for IE7 they just updated IE6. Stuff like that makes me want to puke and is one of the really nice things about open source software. Atleast if it sucks there is the option of fixing it yourself.

Most of what I mentioned is avalible either as Beta software or actual public downloads.

I trust the IE7 team a lot, after watching some of their videos they are on the right track. They seem to have picked their act up. Additionally, they took the IE6 Renderer out and wrote a new one from scratch and basically all of the core libraries of the Browser have been rewritten. It seems to be holding out well thus far.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling