Author Topic: Various geeky news!  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
Various geeky news!
« on: August 07, 2006, 03:02:20 pm »
Apple unveils the new Mac OS X Leapord. What is sad is that they claim it's the new Vista (Vista 2.0 at WWDC), yet it looks the exact same as the previous version. Vista is leaps and bounds ahead of XP in terms of looks and features.

Linus Torvalds is a fan of Visual Basic? Apparently it did more for programming than object-oriented programming did. Heh.

AMD dropping the ATi brand. Now you can brag that your processor is AMD and your graphics card is AMD as well! "omgz my amd radeon x850 xt pro roxx0rz joor nvidia".

Let's just hope they're gonna drop the horrible driver coding habits that ATi had for their graphics card, and will start coding good drivers for Windows and hopefully Linux. :)

All of this news brought to you by Digg. :P
- Newby
http://www.x86labs.org

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
Re: Various geeky news!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 03:05:10 pm »
Leapord will flop. It has Virtual desktops (*woo*)
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 03:13:13 pm »
The thing about Leapord is that it has nothing innovative or impressive. Hell, they're advertising iChat as one of the features. When you are advertising a chat program in your new OS (I don't even think M$ does that with their "new" Live Messenger) and advertising features that aren't new ("Multiple Personalities", multiple logins for multiple networks has been done (gaim), and setting your status to invisible has been done as well (gaim) (gee, the same product too, cross-platform!)) you're running out of things to advertise as selling points.
- Newby

[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz

I'd bet that you're currently bloated like a water ballon on a hot summer's day.

That analogy doesn't even make sense.  Why would a water balloon be especially bloated on a hot summer's day? For your sake, I hope there wasn't too much logic testing on your LSAT. 

Offline MyndFyre

• Boticulator Extraordinaire
  • x86
  • The wait is over.
    • View Profile
    • JinxBot :: the evolution in boticulation
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 08:33:08 pm »
LOL, check this out.  I liked the CodingHorror website:

LOLOLOLOL
I have a programming folder, and I have nothing of value there

Running with Code has a new home!

Our species really annoys me.

Offline deadly7

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2006, 08:51:34 pm »
LOL, check this out.  I liked the CodingHorror website:

LOLOLOLOL
Dude, that's awesome... I want to know how they did that.
[17:42:21.609] <Ergot> Kutsuju you're girlfrieds pussy must be a 403 error for you
 [17:42:25.585] <Ergot> FORBIDDEN

on IRC playing T&T++
<iago> He is unarmed
<Hitmen> he has no arms?!

on AIM with a drunk mythix:
(00:50:05) Mythix: Deadly
(00:50:11) Mythix: I'm going to fuck that red dot out of your head.
(00:50:15) Mythix: with my nine

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2006, 09:14:39 pm »
While Vista is supposed to be flashy and feature-heavy, whereas Leopard is supposed to be slimmed down and faster.  I posted about that a long time ago. 

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 09:45:30 pm »
Leapord is definitely going about their advertising and campaigning the wrong way then. "Vista 2.0", "look at the widgets!!!", "iChat upgraded", "iCal added more features!" that's all useless crap that just bloats the OS IMO.
- Newby

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2006, 10:02:19 pm »
Marketing people tend to suck, so I'm not surprised :P

Offline d&q

• I'm here.
    • View Profile
    • Site
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2006, 10:07:00 pm »
I wish they would let you download the utilities seperately, instead of all of it coming with the OS.
The writ of the founders must endure.

Offline iago

• Leader
  • Administrator
  • Fnord.
    • View Profile
    • SkullSecurity
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2006, 10:12:48 pm »
I wish they would let you download the utilities seperately, instead of all of it coming with the OS.
I wish Windows would, too, but that's not going to happen.

That's one thing I like about Linux/BSD over everything else -- customized installs. 

Offline Ergot

• 吴立峰 ^_^ !
  • x86
  • I steal bandwidth. p_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2006, 11:56:12 pm »
I'm caught in a dilemma... I love AMD but I hate ATi... would an ATi card with AMD written on it still be just an ATi? I really like nVidia... nForce and SLi is pretty cool, pair that with Athlon X2's seems like a dream. arg :(.
Who gives a damn? I fuck sheep all the time.
And yes, male both ends.  There are a couple lesbians that need a two-ended dildo...My router just refuses to wear a strap-on.
(05:55:03) JoE ThE oDD: omfg good job i got a boner thinkin bout them chinese bitches
(17:54:15) Sidoh: I love cosmetology

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 02:08:01 am »
I'm caught in a dilemma... I love AMD but I hate ATi... would an ATi card with AMD written on it still be just an ATi? I really like nVidia... nForce and SLi is pretty cool, pair that with Athlon X2's seems like a dream. arg :(.

I don't think that this means AMD will be any less compatable with nVidia.  When Linksys was bought by Cisco, I noticed a significant improvment in their products, but the ones I'd seen before the change were pretty old... it could have been a coincidence.

Offline zorm

• View Profile
    • Zorm's Page
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 02:57:55 am »

Dunno most of the stuff that comes with OSX is the best you can do or atleast from what I've seen. I guess I should rephrase that to be people use it unlike the stuff that ships with Windows which no sane person uses.

But this is just my experience from my school and they made us use IE5 for web development on OSX. It was like a crime against humanity.
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
- William of Ockham

Offline Warrior

• supreme mac daddy of trolls
  • One for a Dime two for a Quarter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 02:41:23 pm »
While Vista is supposed to be flashy and feature-heavy, whereas Leopard is supposed to be slimmed down and faster.  I posted about that a long time ago. 

Vista comes in different versions suiting the needs of the user, if you want a feature packed beast you got it. If you want a customized install, Install Home Basic and upgrade to Ultimate later.

Leapord is Mac trying to get some attention, Steve Jobs is a master of getting people hype with less than great features. It's sad when the highlight of WWDC is their Virtual Desktops and "Time Machine".

Hell, this is so bad it might make the programmers at Microsoft relax even more. I'm dissapointed in Leapord, I think SUSE 10 has a better chance against Vista. (Yes, I fell in love with SUSE 10 it's amazing)

Jesus christ.
One must ask oneself: "do I will trolling to become a universal law?" And then when one realizes "yes, I do will it to be such," one feels completely justified.
-- from Groundwork for the Metaphysics of Trolling

Offline Newby

• x86
  • Thrash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 02:42:54 pm »
According to Wired, Steve Jobs wasn't even able to hype the crowd at Leapord successfully. They pitied him and clapped randomly. :(

SuSE 10 is really nice, actually. :)
- Newby