Author Topic: Mages...Overpowered? Nah.  (Read 7591 times)

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
Mages...Overpowered? Nah.
« on: August 08, 2006, 08:44:36 pm »
http://jibba3.onestop.net/ignite4.jpg

What mages can do in Naxx. Balanced. (Yes, that is real.)

Offline ZeroX

• Pirating Your software since 1998
    • View Profile
    • Crap
Re: Mages...Overpowered? Nah.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:04:33 am »
http://jibba3.onestop.net/ignite4.jpg

What mages can do in Naxx. Balanced. (Yes, that is real.)

>.>
Zeroforce
Zeroforce
Zeroforce

mutsumibear: David's coming over Sunday so we can have mad sex all day.
zxdropoff: lucky you
mutsumibear: :D I know.
mutsumibear: I just pray I don't start my period before then.
zxdropoff: omfg
zxdropoff: stfu
zxdropoff: now please
mutsumibear: HAHA
mutsumibear: I love disturbing you.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 01:11:33 am »
There are mobs in Naxxrammas that do that.  It has nothing to do with the class.  I assure you Blizzard wouldn't overlook that.  If it applies to mages, it applies to all classes... or at least all classes that are capable of fire damage.  A Hunter in my old raid crit one of the teacher guy's students for 30,000...

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 01:54:52 pm »
He's still standing after getting hit by that?  0_o

My friend did a 25k fireball in BWL, it's call fire vulnerability.  :P
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 02:55:36 pm »

No.  It was after the teacher guy died.

Offline Blaze

• Canadian
    • View Profile
    • Maide
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:05:08 pm »

No.  It was after the teacher guy died.

Okay...
And like a fool I believed myself, and thought I was somebody else...

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 04:12:58 pm »
Okay...

There are mobs in Naxxrammas that do that.  It has nothing to do with the class.  I assure you Blizzard wouldn't overlook that.  If it applies to mages, it applies to all classes... or at least all classes that are capable of fire damage.  A Hunter in my old raid crit one of the teacher guy's students for 30,000...

Noobtard. :-*

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 06:21:53 pm »
Late reply:

I know mobs in Naxx do that, but you don't see things having melee damage taken increased by that much ever, where's our love? That was my original point of the thread, but I obviously wasn't clear on it. Regaurdless though, that amount of damage being done in single attacks is INSANE.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 06:59:11 pm »
Late reply:

I know mobs in Naxx do that, but you don't see things having melee damage taken increased by that much ever, where's our love? That was my original point of the thread, but I obviously wasn't clear on it. Regaurdless though, that amount of damage being done in single attacks is INSANE.

regardless*.  Sorry.  I don't usually nitpick, but you consistenly mispell that word and you seem to like to use it often.  I thought you might want to know the correct way to spell it. ;)

In any case, yeah, there is.  The hunter hit the student for 30K with AutoShot, which I'm pretty sure counts as physical damage (ranged, but physical none-the-less).

Offline Krazed

• x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 07:06:47 pm »
You don't wear cloth, thats where your love is.
It is good to be good, but it is better to be lucky.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 07:10:21 pm »

Leather isn't much better.  The major advantage Rogues have is that they have ~23% BASE dodge rate... :(

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 07:16:11 pm »
A priest can have just as much armor with one self buff as a rogue. A warlock has more health/armor/damage reduction then a rogue, a mage normally has just 200 less armor then a rogue. No difference.

Late reply:

regardless*.  Sorry.  I don't usually nitpick, but you consistenly mispell that word and you seem to like to use it often.  I thought you might want to know the correct way to spell it. ;)

In any case, yeah, there is.  The hunter hit the student for 30K with AutoShot, which I'm pretty sure counts as physical damage (ranged, but physical none-the-less).

Show me a rogue/warrior doing 30k white hits and I'll consider.

Offline Sidoh

• x86
  • MHNATY ~~~~~
    • View Profile
    • sidoh
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 07:20:13 pm »
A priest can have just as much armor with one self buff as a rogue. A warlock has more health/armor/damage reduction then a rogue, a mage normally has just 200 less armor then a rogue. No difference.

Unless you're in plate, armor is a nearly useless stat to consider.  A Warlock can have more damage reduction if they're Demonology specced.  Though it's a great spec, it isn't universally the best one to use, so there's a lot of variance.  In fact, I'd say they're the rarest breed of warlock.

Like I already said, Rogues are far more viable in melee combat than any caster because they can potentially dodge every other attack that comes their way (in good gear, of course).  If you actually consider that, they have way more damage reduction than a Priest, Warlock or Mage.

Hmm... maybe I wasn't clear enough: it doesn't matter.  The mobs that are getting hit for that much are meant to get hit for that much.  Blizzard designed them to behave that way when a certain event triggers the vunerability.  I highly suspect that Rogues can hit for that much.  If I can get 500 white crits on mobs, I don't think there's much of a problem if you're in melee range.

Offline Armin

• Honorary Leader
  • x86
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 07:50:46 pm »
Before I quit WoW, I was in a guild that had 6 bosses in Nax down. Certain classes ARE required for certian fights, yet everyone get's their fun at least on one or two bosses inside of Naxx. Anyways, a boss fight that's weak to a certain school of magic has nothing to do with a certain class being over-powered. A boss fight is a team effort.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 07:52:31 pm by MetaL MilitiA »
Hitmen: art is gay

Offline Screenor

• My own little world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 08:38:24 pm »

Unless you're in plate, armor is a nearly useless stat to consider.  A Warlock can have more damage reduction if they're Demonology specced.  Though it's a great spec, it isn't universally the best one to use, so there's a lot of variance.  In fact, I'd say they're the rarest breed of warlock.

Like I already said, Rogues are far more viable in melee combat than any caster because they can potentially dodge every other attack that comes their way (in good gear, of course).  If you actually consider that, they have way more damage reduction than a Priest, Warlock or Mage.

Hmm... maybe I wasn't clear enough: it doesn't matter.  The mobs that are getting hit for that much are meant to get hit for that much.  Blizzard designed them to behave that way when a certain event triggers the vunerability.  I highly suspect that Rogues can hit for that much.  If I can get 500 white crits on mobs, I don't think there's much of a problem if you're in melee range.

It does however matter, shooting a bow isn't based on the persons armor, hunters in my guild have shoot me for the same amount as they shoot our main tank, the whole damn point I'm making is you see everything BUT melee classes doing that kind of amazing damage, and you know it.

http://screenor.dark-wire.net/DMEnc.jpg

Taken from this very AQ40 run I'm in right now.

Mage
Hunter
Mage
Mage
Mage
Mage
Hunter
Hunter
Warlock
Mage
Rogues

I'm not trying to "cry" about it, but it's just stupid how melee does in most of these fights.